The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

That was another brilliant episode @TownerFan! Such lovely stories and memories from Jim Self, who is indeed a musical legend himself and who was so very graciously appreciative of John Williams and his music. Keep these wonderful interviews coming Maurizio! 🙂

On 11/10/2020 at 5:07 PM, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/11/10/jim-self-podcast/

This is another great episode, guys. Lots of great stories and memories from a true legend among studio musicians!

Awesome work as always @TownerFan

Also, great to see that the music selections include a concert I attended :)

Thanks for the nice words, guys. Happy you like the show! More coming soon :)

16 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Awesome work as always @TownerFan

Also, great to see that the music selections include a concert I attended :)

Sergio Carolino (the soloist performing in the exceprt of the Tuba Concert featured in the episode) studied with Jim Self, so I thought it made sense. There are many other recordings of the Concerto I could have used, but I love the energy and the virtuosity of Carolino's performance.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/11/27/tim-morrison-podcast/

I don't have much to add other than it was a real honour and privilege to talk with such an iconic musician who we JW fans all admire so much. I hope you will enjoy, gents!

Can't wait to listen to this. I was hoping for a pocast with Tim since a long time. Thanks!

10 hours ago, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/11/27/tim-morrison-podcast/

I don't have much to add other than it was a real honour and privilege to talk with such an iconic musician who we JW fans all admire so much. I hope you will enjoy, gents!

Absolutely incredible interview. It brought me back in time quite a few years, about 31, when I first saw BOT4OJ in theatres,  and reminded me why I play trumpet today. 

@TownerFan Sorry if this has already been asked, but are you planning to interview members of the LSO during or after the LA series as well? I would love to hear all the questions you would ask them.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I definitely plan to talk with LSO members too, yes, especially some of the former ones from the 77-83 era who are still around.

I already have a roster of guests scheduled, including composers and other very interesting people :)

So happy you liked it, Richard. Thank you for your ongoing support!

It’s unfortunate that Maurice Murphy had an untimely death about 10 years ago. I’m sure he would have been a fantastic guest. 

On 11/29/2020 at 2:26 PM, bollemanneke said:

@TownerFan Sorry if this has already been asked, but are you planning to interview members of the LSO during or after the LA series as well? I would love to hear all the questions you would ask them.

On May the 4th Sarah Willis did a skype session with hornists from all three Star Wars trilogies. It was very interesting, especially the old stories!

I finally listened to that Tim Morrison episode. Wonderful stuff. There might be trumpet players who can play louder or higher than Mr. Morrison but not many who can play so beautifully, with heart and soul those singing melodies. And that legato!! Well, he started with a french horn! 😎😎😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great interview with AHP, @TownerFan! Neat to hear another aspect of JW's time with the BPO and lovely to hear her respect for the composer (and vice versa) and a bit about the backstory of her harp concerto.

It was interesting to hear more than a couple references to JW conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. To my knowledge, there are no recordings where he's credited with the BSO. Are there any? (Other than Schindler's List, maybe?)

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

To my knowledge, there are no recordings where he's credited with the BSO. Are there any? (Other than Schindler's List, maybe?)

Yes, some of Schindler’s List, but also:

image.png

Over the last couple of months I've been listening to the 'The Lagacy of John Williams' podcast and I'm so freaking impressed. It's wonderful to hear qualified people discuss my favourite composer. Especially all the amazing session players and other people who have actually worked with him.

I've recommended it to many of my friends. Maurizio Caschetto, thank you so much for doing what you do, and doing it so well. :worship:

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Looking at the BSO archive site, I was surprised to find that Williams has only conducted the full BSO in concert once actually in Symphony Hall.  He's conducted them many times at Tanglewood since the late 80s, but only once in their home venue.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yes, that's really interesting. The database is not complete though. Many concerts, Williams included, are missing.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a funny coincidence.

Back in mid February, my colleagues raved about the (now Oscar-nominated) Netflix documentary MY OCTOPUS TEACHER. I only got around to watching it this weekend. Loved it, including the introspective score. Looking at the end credits, I noticed the name "Kevin Puts" as composer - a name I hadn't heard of before (my knowledge of younger US classical composers is very bad). And then just a day or two later, I see your post about him here. Must be a sign that I should check out more of this guy's work.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's a funny coincidence.

Back in mid February, my colleagues raved about the (now Oscar-nominated) Netflix documentary MY OCTOPUS TEACHER. I only got around to watching it this weekend. Loved it, including the introspective score. Looking at the end credits, I noticed the name "Kevin Puts" as composer - a name I hadn't heard of before (my knowledge of younger US classical composers is very bad). And then just a day or two later, I see your post about him here. Must be a sign that I should check out more of this guy's work.

My Octopus Teacher has a score by Kevin Smuts, not Kevin Puts :)

Anyway, check Kevin Puts' music, I think you may enjoy it. This piece has a Goldenthal-esque vibes:

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

Ha, ha....DAMN! So close. Oh well. Thanks for the listening tip.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, TownerFan said:

Anyway, check Kevin Puts' music, I think you may enjoy it. This piece has a Goldenthal-esque vibes:

That whole release is worth listening to.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing Maurizio! Her flute solos (in Farewell Neverland especially) are so intrinsically linked with John's music, and her performances are that iconic, they're ingrained in my childhood.

Even War Horse feels like John treating an entire score as a vehicle to highlight her qualities as a flute soloist.

It's a very special thing he shares with these musicians.