The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

On 07/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, TownerFan said:

On the heels of the Milan events... Tune in today at 7pm CET / 1pm EST / 10am PST (available at any moment immediately afterwards)

This video is great!  I was already traveling when it dropped so figured I wouldn't see it until I got home (did not want to watch it on my phone), but Maurizio was kind enough to show it to me and Jim Ware in his house.  It was such a lovely tribute, I was moved many times.  I hope everybody checks it out!

• 3 weeks later...

The Gloria Cheng conversation was excellent!  She's a lovely person.  I took a masterclass with her about contemporary piano performance and thought she was so polished that I later asked her for advice on public speaking which she happily gave me tips about presentations.  Aside from her being a wonderful person, she's a fantastic musician too!  Anyway, I really enjoyed the podcast and look forward to hearing more from you.

I hope people enjoy this lighthearted conversation. Richard is always a joy to speak with and some of the audience questions are good. The full concert we speak of is also available to stream alongside some rehearsal clips. Take note of The Forest Battle trombone directions which are so important!

Similar to the crucial drama of the T-Rex Finale! Here’s one more clip which is just for you! :-)

Wait, was this the concert with the premiere of the TROS suite?!?!

EDIT: false alarm. I remember this concert. Was that other one also in Dublin? Or was it Detroit or something?

9 hours ago, igger6 said:

Wait, was this the concert with the premiere of the TROS suite?!?!

EDIT: false alarm. I remember this concert. Was that other one also in Dublin? Or was it Detroit or something?

There was also a Dublin concert last year on May 4th which included TROS, among music from all 9 films.

17 minutes ago, ConorPower said:

There was also a Dublin concert last year on May 4th which included TROS, among music from all 9 films.

But only the one “Rise of Skywalker” concert piece from the OST, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Brando said:

Oh cool!! I love the behind the scenes stuff!

I think you'll enjoy Adam's stories from various Williams sessions and the Sony Scoring Stage itself. :)

Oh yeah, give me the stories!! Having Ramiro Belgardt on as a guest would be super cool as well. I know the editing process isn't always ideal, but it would be really awesome to hear him talk about working close with John and the filmmakers.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so great to hear the positive feedback on this episode with Adam, @Jay!!  I was thrilled when @TownerFan agreed to move forward with it and even more so that he allowed me to participate.  I tried to sneak in some tech talk but didn't want to go overboard, in case it turned off the listeners.

I couldn't agree more with @TownerFan's selection and placement of the musical clips, especially the 2nd movement of "Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra", which really was the surprise highlight of my experience at the recording sessions for the Hooten EP.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I especially enjoyed hearing Randy Kerber's cool, slow and slinky version of Galaxy's Edge!  I can't even remember now if that's commercially released or not, but it should be!

It has not been commercially released but Adam added it to his SoundCloud page several years back...

He treated me to a playback of this piece as well as several of Kerber's market cues (with Adam's added vocoder elements) that he discussed in the podcast in February 2020 at Hollywood Scoring, weeks before the pandemic hit.  Of course, it was just a few days after I had visited Disneyland with @Dr. Know and his wife, and I didn't key in on Kerber's arrangement/music during my time spent in Galaxy's Edge.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

That NBC News piece included was amazing as well, am I nuts or is that not available anywhere else?

I thought that the version of "Meet the Press" that Adam shared with us to include in the podcast had not been heard anywhere else outside of portions appearing in various NBC featurettes about the 2004 sessions that Adam mentioned, but it seems that an extended version or separate longer take has been on the Network News Music since 2005: https://www.networknewsmusic.com/meet-the-press-2004-theme/. Adam's version is higher-quality than the one featured there, however.  That site includes some other selections from those 2004 sessions, most famous of them being the theme Williams wrote for a new show to be hosted by Tom Brokaw which has been dubbed the "Rodeo" theme by some (I believe that this is an edit that @King Mark put together from various NBC behind-the-scenes videos back in the day): https://www.networknewsmusic.com/today-2004-bumper/

Right, I knew Kerber's version was on Soundcloud (it's mentioned in the episode), I just couldn't remember if Disney had finally gotten around to putting more park music out officially, like as a digital album on all the platforms.  They really should!

Thanks for the explanation of Meet The Press!  It's great to have a new, nice, high quality version now!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh thanks for the bump I forgot to post my thoughts on the episode

It was very good!  I was completely unfamiliar with her, but she told good stories.  I really liked what she said about Williams as a conductor, and how his command of the recording stage is different than anyone she knows.  I don't remember her exact words now, but she expressed it in a way that I hadn't heard anyone do before that was very illuminating.

what I love about these episodes is how, whenever he plays music excerpts, I realise more than ever just how extraordinary these musicians must be. The combination of that and the interviews somehow make me forget about the scores and really listen to just what these people are playing and how they're giving it their all.

Peter Boyer posted a nice message on Facebook about it!

The Legacy of John Williams has published a podcast interview with me, as part of their "Legacy Conversations" series. I'm grateful to producers/hosts Maurizio Giovanni Caschetto and Tim Burden for their ongoing interest in my music, their wide-ranging knowledge, and their passion for what they do. Let's face it, for any composer to be mentioned in same breath with John Williams is an enormous compliment, and one I don't take lightly. This series of "Legacy Conversations" has included many musicians who have worked personally with JW, and whom I deeply admire and respect.
I was happy to have an opportunity to discuss in detail my recent album with the London Symphony Orchestra on Naxos (also Naxos of America, Naxos UK, etc.); my work "Balance of Power," commissioned by The Kennedy Center for the National Symphony Orchestra; my new "Rhapsody in Red, White & Blue" for pianist Jeffrey Biegel; my work with "The President's Own" United States Marine Band; and some of the ways in which the one and only JW has influenced me and other composer colleagues. Our discussion also included John Mauceri's brilliant book, "The War on Music."
Of many interviews I've done over the years, this is easily one of the most in-depth (and probably the longest of all). For those who are interested in my music, I hope you'll listen. Many thanks, Maurizio and Tim!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a completely engaging and wonderful conversation and touched on so many interesting points about the history of film music, classical music and music in general. Mauceri's charting of the possible reasons for the trends of "classical" or "concert hall" music post WWII was fascinating. I could have listened to the trio for another 2 hours. I'll definitely pick up Mauceri's book!

• 3 weeks later...