The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion - 2018 Edition

crumbs

Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams score expansion  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which score WILL BE Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams expansion?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich
  2. 2. Which Spielberg/Williams score do you MOST WANT Matessino to expand next?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

So your question is what is likely to be the next expansion? And not what do we hope? Mind you, these are two entirely different things.

My money is on Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Born on the Fourth of July, or Far and Away. 

Something with Tom Cruise in it, anyway! 

Just now, Josh500 said:

So your question is what is likely to be the next expansion? And not what do we hope? Mind you, these are two entirely different things.

My money is on Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Born on the Fourth of July, or Far and Away. 

Something with Tom Cruise in it, anyway! 

Those are not Spielberg films!

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

Schindler's List has been announced for December in line with the film's 25th Anniversary 4K release.

According to MV, November 27th will be the last batch of the year, so Schindler's List will probably be one of the Black Friday titles

I'd like to vote in the poll, but it does not specify if you're asking what which score we HOPE will be next, or which score we think WILL be next.

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

So it's time for an updated poll! What's next on Matessino's hit-list for Spielberg/Williams scores? And, looking ahead, which score would you most like to see Matessino tackle?

Looks like it is a poll for what we think it will be.

Apologies for the confusion with the poll, it was admittedly too vague.

I've split this into two clearer polls now! What the next expansion WILL BE and which expansion you MOST WANT. :)

15 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I just can't see them doing Hook anytime soon.

There are more years between now and the original Hook release than there was between the two LLL Home Alone releases.

Yes, but wasn't there the last LLL (non-Matessino) release? Disney et al. are going to look at that and go 'Well, they already had a chance to get Hook' and go for some other title.

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, but wasn't there the last LLL (non-Matessino) release?

Huh? I don't follow.

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Disney et al. are going to look at that and go 'Well, they already had a chance to get Hook' and go for some other title.

What does Disney have to do with this?

There's no point doing Hook until the missing session tapes are recovered. Sure, MM could fix all the other issues with LLL's first expansion, but if they have to resort to film stems again is it worth the trouble?

Wouldn't be so bad if it was just a few obscure cues here and there, but Ultimate War is the centrepiece of the score. 

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

How do you know they haven't been? ;) 

Because it's not the film's 30th anniversary yet. ;)

I wasn't really around for the La La Land expansion, and I almost completely ignored it...what was the problem with it?

Something about using the film stems with their microedits because no better sources were available - not sure, I've not much interest in this score.

Film stems needed to be used for the centrepiece cues of the score, tracks out of chronological order, combined cue tracks from the OST assembly were retained, cues playing at the incorrect speed, missing cues/inserts all over the place, film cues relegated to the bonus track section for no reason...

The release was riddled with Williams' trademark meddling, sadly. At least it was spared from lots of microedits! 😂

6 hours ago, Falafel said:

With 2 extra tracks!

Hey that's 2 minutes of extra music! 😂 

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Apologies for the confusion with the poll, it was admittedly too vague.

Rookie mistake. When you created this thread and poll, you only had one job! One job! 

:P

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I have but I don't remember it much.

Between the cliched wailing solo at the start, to the dull underscore, I'd consider it mainly a score for JW completists.

At one point or another, that's what people said about Saving Private Ryan, Nixon, The Lost World, War of the Worlds, Minority Report, etc.

12 minutes to go. :P

I did a spreadsheet a year ago comparing the film score to the OST. There was very little missing. A few film cues seemed to have inserts or alternate sections but nothing noteworthy.

A few tracks are micro-edited though, so it might not be as straightforward as OST + bonus tracks, ala SPR.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I wasn't really around for the La La Land expansion, and I almost completely ignored it...what was the problem with it?

It's incomplete, it's not in chronological order (with some cues from the score appearing in the bonus track section for some reason), OST edits were retained, and due to missing elements the second half of the Ultimate War (and a few other bits of music) were taken from the final film's music stem, complete with edits made for the film, volume dips, and different sound quality than the rest of the set.

Well, apart from all the problems mentioned, it SOUNDS great (the parts taken from proper elements I mean) - the elements they found were certainly kept in great condition!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, apart from all the problems mentioned, it SOUNDS great (the parts taken from proper elements I mean) - the elements they found were certainly kept in great condition!

Oh, yes, I've had it digitally for years and it does sound good. I've been debating picking up a set, but the prices are high and there's the slight possibility of a re-release so I'm in limbo now...

Not to mention they discovered 11 deleted scenes for the upcoming 4K Bluray, so someone's been digging into Sony's archives. Looks like the new release also has a Dolby Atmos track. Wonder if they did a full rebuild of the sound mix (using new scans of the score) or just used some "enhancement algorithms" on the existing 5.1 mix? Would suck if it's the latter. :(

I'm still staggered there were no second generation masters of the scoring sessions for LLL to use instead of the film stems. That seems highly unusual to me; wouldn't most Williams scores have multi-track masters, stereo masters, dubbing masters, etc?

Don't say things like "for LLL to use".  What was and wasn't used was entirely up to the producer of the set, Didier Deutsch, not the label it was released on.

Just now, Jay said:

Don't say things like "for LLL to use".  What was and wasn't used was entirely up to the producer of the set, Didier Deutsch, not the label it was released on.

I take your point. Guess I just lazily use it as a collective noun, like I reference Concord when discussing my issues with the Indy set (when Bouzereau produced them) or Sony for the lack of Star Wars expansions after TPM (when it was probably Lucasfilm showing no interest in releasing them).

I'm sure in both instances there were things outside the producer's control. Bouzereau apparently fought hard just to get a 4th CD on that Indy set and I'm sure Deutsch only resorted to using the film stems as a last resort.

Yea, a different producer might have not wanted anything form the film's stem and just released an even shorter double-album.

Of course, a producer like MM would insist the release date would be pushed back until all proper elements could be located.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I beg to differ. I hear no difference whatsoever between OST and LLL tracks. Regardless of the Ultimate War problems, the whole thing sounds WAY too loud compared to the rest of the set, while things that should be loud, like the amazing When You're Alone statement in Remembering Childhood sound way too quiet. I'd never ever recommend this set to anyone, sorry. It's amazing how one can spend 3 years on a project and then deliver such a result...

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, a different producer might have not wanted anything form the film's stem and just released an even shorter double-album.

Of course, a producer like MM would insist the release date would be pushed back until all proper elements could be located.

A producer can't win in this anyway. If they had omitted the music they used the stems for, people would have complained about that. "Why didnt they just use the film stems?"

Probably a question that has been answered several times before, but what scores composed JW can we consider to have had pretty much definitive releases, with no significant room for improvement?

The wording of your question is already a bit too vague - EVERY release CAN be improved.  I think you have to define precisely what you mean by "significant" improvement?

Of the top of my head, I'd say all the Williams expansions are pretty much as definitive as they are ever going to get, with the exception of the Star Wars, the Indiana Jones, and Hook.  The other ones are only missing mere seconds of unreleased music if any at all, and sound as good as the elements will let them.

(and by all expansions, I mean the latest version, IE the Decca Jaws was not ideal in any way but the Intrada Jaws is great; ditto for the earlier CE3K and ET compared to the LLL versions).

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A producer can't win in this anyway. If they had omitted the music they used the stems for, people would have complained about that. "Why didnt they just use the film stems?"

Well, a good example of that would be Outbreak of Cholera from Alien 3. MM co-produced that set and they decided to omit that cue as the best available source was the film stems. That was the correct decision IMO.

The cue is already available in the Bluray iso anyway, for anyone that wants it badly enough. Having a single cue sourced from inferior elements (when the new digital masters sounded so brilliant for the rest) would've been distracting indeed.