The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion - 2018 Edition

crumbs

Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams score expansion  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which score WILL BE Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams expansion?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich
  2. 2. Which Spielberg/Williams score do you MOST WANT Matessino to expand next?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

The wording of your question is already a bit too vague - EVERY release CAN be improved.  I think you have to define precisely what you mean by "significant" improvement?

Of the top of my head, I'd say all the Williams expansions are pretty much as definitive as they are ever going to get, with the exception of the Star Wars, the Indiana Jones, and Hook.  The other ones are only missing mere seconds of unreleased music if any at all, and sound as good as the elements will let them.

u

Vague as I might've been, you got my meaning perfectly :) Thank you

Wow, is that Cinque's Theme on oboe at 6:09 in the first clip? Stunning. I've never heard that before.

The latter cue is indeed spectacular. Such a shame that wasn't on the OST. Guess we just need to wait for MM to work his magic on this one. :) Hopefully not for the next anniversary though, because they just missed one!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What makes you think Didier spent three years on that project?

Oh, I just meant that DD mentioned the release took 3 years to complete in your interview with him. Also, after re-reading that interview, some of his comments really sound weird to me, like the fact that it was such an ordeal to identify and correctly assemble all the cues. It can't be THAT hard if you know the material and have the film...

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, after re-reading that interview, some of his comments really sound weird to me, like the fact that it was such an ordeal to identify and correctly assemble all the cues.

I just re-read that interview too! Was hoping he might have shed some light on the whole session tapes scenario, which is always a fascinating topic when Matessino details his expansions.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Guess we just need to wait for MM to work his magic on this one. :) Hopefully not for the next anniversary though, because they just missed one!

Given that the Maestro recently mentioned in an interview that he was revisiting the score and starting to remember it very well (I think it was sometime last year, but I don't remember when it was), and that last year was the 20th anniversary, it is possible that Amistad may have a definitive release very, very soon.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, I just meant that DD mentioned the release took 3 years to complete in your interview with him. Also, after re-reading that interview, some of his comments really sound weird to me, like the fact that it was such an ordeal to identify and correctly assemble all the cues. It can't be THAT hard if you know the material and have the film...

He doesn't really have the same attention to detail as MM does, I'm sure he only had a hazy memory of any of it.  Producing catalog soundtrack releases isn't really his forte or area of expertise.  I think he's in some kind of PR position nowadays from what I remember someone telling me.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Given that the Maestro recently mentioned in an interview that he was revisiting the score and starting to remember it very well (I think it was sometime last year, but I don't remember when it was), and that last year was the 20th anniversary, it is possible that Amistad may have a definitive release very, very soon.

Yeah, seems possible that score was being prepared for a 20th Anniversary release last year but took a back seat once CE3K 40th and ET 35th gained momentum.

Pure speculation of course. I can't imagine there being many hurdles getting Amistad expanded. Dreamworks was the production studio so it really just needs Spielberg & Williams' tick of approval.

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Incorrect! It all depends on how well the paperwork has been done. 

He says he spent all summer trying to figure out the score. Would you call that normal? It's like a baker saying, 'Oh my God, how the hell do I have to make bread?'

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Well, a good example of that would be Outbreak of Cholera from Alien 3. MM co-produced that set and they decided to omit that cue as the best available source was the film stems. That was the correct decision IMO.

The cue is already available in the Bluray iso anyway, for anyone that wants it badly enough. Having a single cue sourced from inferior elements (when the new digital masters sounded so brilliant for the rest) would've been distracting indeed.

There was one cue missing from The Sand Pebbles. Intrada took it from the movie with background noises and put it on disc 2 to the extras. That's okay, I think. They knew that they wouldn't revisit it a third time.

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, seems possible that score was being prepared for a 20th Anniversary release last year but took a back seat once CE3K 40th and ET 35th gained momentum.

Pure speculation of course. I can't imagine there being many hurdles getting Amistad expanded. Dreamworks was the production studio so it really just needs Spielberg & Williams' tick of approval.

Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, but still no Amistad. They keep dancing around it, just to annoy me. Honestly, it'll take a year at most...

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

He says he spent all summer trying to figure out the score. Would you call that normal? It's like a baker saying, 'Oh my God, how the hell do I have to make bread?'

That probably means the paperwork for Hook wasn't great. And since they were rushing to make a deadline, I believe that.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There was one cue missing from The Sand Pebbles. Intrada took it from the movie with background noises and put it on disc 2 to the extras. That's okay, I think. They knew that they wouldn't revisit it a third time.

I'm with Intrada on this - I'd rather that if a cue came from the film stems it was put on as a bonus cue (therefore not polluting the main program) than just omitted.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm with Intrada on this - I'd rather that if a cue came from the film stems it was put on as a bonus cue (therefore not polluting the main program) than just omitted.

I agree. The film stem version of that lost Alien 3 track should have been included in the bonus section.

See it doesnt work like that. All the tapes and takes need to be tagged properly, which takes were used, what was altered etc etc. There's a lot of documentation involved. Trust me on this. Working with tapes that have no or bad/incorrect documentation can be a nightmare. Because then you do have to compare everything with the film, and figure out exactly what was used, where the edits were etc.

Of course. But having paperwork that correctly states which take is which helps enormously.

If you know what take was use because it's marked somewhere, you only need to compare that take to the film for instance. Not 5 or 6.

Mike Mattessino listens to every take of every cue and selects the proper takes chosen for the film throughout the main program.

Most producers don't do this.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

His process must be very time consuming and exacting. But it pays off. 

Meticulous is another accurate adjective I'd use :)

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike Mattessino listens to every take of every cue and selects the proper takes chosen for the film throughout the main program.

Most producers don't do this.

I also assume he (or some collaborator, in the case he cannot read music) gets the sheet music and checks that everything matches...? It would be the safest way to be sure that everything is included (then of course, selecting the proper takes is another essential step). 

He often has the sheet music, yes.  But he doesn't necessarily need to follow along with all of it.

if you are given every take of every cue, you already have all you need to make sure everything is included.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

He often has the sheet music, yes.  But he doesn't necessarily need to follow along with all of it.

if you are given every take of every cue, you already have all you need to make sure everything is included.

Yes, that's true.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Amistad and Minority Report. 

Those would be great. Both have a good chunk of unreleased music.

Surprised that so many people think WOTW is next on the list. Would've thought that's another few years away once all the 90s scores are dealt with. 

It's more suspense music and dissonance, not really a lot of action music, and not really a lot of melody until the finale

I think I’ve seen the movie twice - once in its original run in the cinema and the other one at home - and I have no recollection of the music.

All I can remember is that it was noisy and neither run made me want to check out the score - or even curious about it. Which is curious in it self.

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think I’ve seen the movie twice - once in its original run in the cinema and the other one at home - and I have no recollection of the music.

All I can remember is that it was noisy and neither run made me want to check out the score - or even curious about it. Which is curious in it self.

I remember when I saw it not too long ago, there were some great brass trills that hearkened to Star Wars. I listened to the corresponding track but that was about all.

It in many ways is a very mature progression of the disaster scores he did in the 70's, though with a lot less levity (similar to how Munich was a mature take on his earlier suspence scores such as Black Sunday).

Allow me to latitude a completion on you:

Quick question...

I see it on this thread and also in the "Filmography" section on the site, that Always is a 1989 OST release, but the back of my CD has 1990.  Which is correct and why the difference in labeling?

• 1 month later...

Have updated the first post with details on what we've learned recently (specifically about a Sugarland Express release). Otherwise, the poll remains the same. I already excluded Schindler's List from the poll as we knew it was coming.

If we're lucky and Mike can keep the pace of 2 Williams/Spielberg scores per year, I'd love to see Amistad + a proper version of Hook in 2019. After tracking down the stereo Dracula masters, finding the lost Hook tapes would surely be a walk in the park for MM. 🤩

I could also see paired releases like The Terminal & Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report & War of the Worlds as likely contenders in future years, given the shared stylistic qualities of those scores. Two totally contrasting Williams modes: lighthearted/jazzy and texturally harsh/dissonant.