Superman II / III - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records INCLUDES NEW SOURCE MUSIC FROM SUPERMAN THE MOVIE

Jay

Lovely covers!  I hope the inclusion of the additional source music from Superman:The Movie could only mean that the upcoming Superman 40th set's Main program would be channeled between 2 discs on the maximum (with the alternates) and possibly include a 3rd disc featuring the OST album remaster. Maybe the film version edits of the cues would remain exclusive to the FSM set. Hmm. Just thinking!  

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know another big word: immunity.

All I want from any future SUPERMAN release, is a Blu Ray audio, with the 5.1 score.

Now, YOU want? This is how you take it? ;)

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

well it's turning out a disappointing year for Williams release .

You’re joking, right? The year is not over yet.

I gotta say, I think anyone planning to buy this just for the new source cues is crazy :)

There's JW fandom, then there's that.

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

I'll agree with you if it turns out that a HP box was delayed due to SS asking MM to do SPR and SL first.

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

You're alive!

Unreleased source music from the original? Ladies and gentlemen--well, gentlemen and Drax, I suppose--the wait is over.

But seriously, am I trippin'? People want to buy this just for some simple tunes Williams had to dash off 'cause the filmmakers couldn't license all the pop music they wanted to? 

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You're alive!

Unreleased source music from the original? Ladies and gentlemen--well, gentlemen and Drax, I suppose--the wait is over.

But seriously, am I trippin'? People want to buy this just for some simple tunes Williams had to dash off 'cause the filmmakers couldn't license all the pop music they wanted to? 

Well, Jay will.

56 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You're alive!

The greatest dash music of all time! Better than everything!

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Y People want to buy this just for some simple tunes Williams had to dash off 'cause the filmmakers couldn't license all the pop music they wanted to? 

I didn't know hymns counted as pop music (nowadays, at the time they could have been) ;)

I feel this way of releasing music from the first Superman is poor. I'm not a big fan of the way the blue box presented the 8th cd but there it made sense, here... 

I've thought about it. I really wish that all of those cues from the Maestro's score to Superman were not on this set; I would rather have them on the eventual 40th anniversary release of the entire score. I am not going to buy this set just for those tracks. I don't understand why this was done. I'm not mad about it, and I am happy to hear previously unreleased music by John Williams. It just seems weird. I'll just download those tracks and include them in the upcoming release.

11 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I've thought about it. I really wish that all of those cues from the Maestro's score to Superman were not on this set; I would rather have them on the eventual 40th anniversary release of the entire score. I am not going to buy this set just for those tracks. I don't understand why this was done. I'm not mad about it, and I am happy to hear previously unreleased music by John Williams. It just seems weird. I'll just download those tracks and include them in the upcoming release.

It's very likely that those cues wouldn't have fit into the new STM release (which probably will be a 2-disc set), or perhaps JW didn't want them included.

16 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Logically, it must've been the only way to get them out, which begs the question of whether there is another Superman coming.

They don't surely expect Williams fans to buy it just for these though, so they must consider them a little easter egg sort of thing.

It's a shame that the labels' deals don't allow for any sort of downloads, because making a little digital EP would be the perfect way to release these for those who want them.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I think it is curious that 2 minutes of Private Ryan gets people to take out their wallets, but 5+ min of Superman doesn’t?

Yeah, it’s an odd inclusion - but so what?

What is the world - and JWfan!!! - coming to?!

Is it because it’s source? MM should’ve put “film version” in brackets at the end of each title, maybe that would’ve helped... ?

It's the nature of the music.  Source music that is integral to the scene in a way that essentially serves as score (the Cantina Band) or that interplays with the score (Canto Bight) would be worth a purchase for me.  The tootlin' band stuff that plays in someone's car or a bus for a little bit is just as inessential to me as, say, the pop/rock song that leads off the end credits of a movie, regardless of whether the composer wrote it or not.

Even though my last post consisted of nothing but questions, there was a subtext to the way I framed them that they were asked as rhetorical devices - not absolute - wasn’t it?

But thanks - I guess?

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Logically, it must've been the only way to get them out, which begs the question of whether there is another Superman coming.

They don't surely expect Williams fans to buy it just for these though, so they must consider them a little easter egg sort of thing.

It's a shame that the labels' deals don't allow for any sort of downloads, because making a little digital EP would be the perfect way to release these for those who want them.

Superman the Movie's score would just about fill 2 discs to the limit with all the alternates included (based on the Blue Box) but with no room for the source music so perhaps this is the way they figured they would handle it if and when they release the first movie's score.

It’s all good.

You bring up some new aspects to JW fandom that I’ve never considered - such as not caring about a pop/rock song even if it were written by the maestro himself.

Which is cool. Not for me - but for you. We can’t all be the same, like what you like. It’s cool to discuss. Maybe you (and here I mean me and/or all of those who participate in the discussion) will learn something new. There are aspects of JW’s writing that doesn’t appeal to me. Whole albums, in fact.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, Brundlefly said:

None of these is a Williams release. LP releases also don't count. So far we got one Williams release from La-La Land which is Saving Private Ryan, the least exciting expansion ever.

Are you talking about within a specific time period, because there have been plenty more than that.

A.I.

Empire of the Sun

E.T.

Jurassic Park...

• 2 weeks later...

From LLL's mailer...

SUPERMAN II & III: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)
LLLCD 1464
Music by Composed and Conducted by Ken Thorne
From original material composed by John Williams 
Limited Edition of 3000 Units  
RETAIL PRICE: $34.98

STARTS SHIPPING OCT 30

SupermanII-lll-Web.jpgLa-La Land Records, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Music Group and DC Entertainment proudly continue Superman’s 80th Anniversary Celebration with a 3-CD re-issue of the original motion picture scores to the 1980 feature film, SUPERMAN II and the 1983 feature film SUPERMAN III, both starring Christopher Reeve and directed by Richard Lester. Renowned composer Ken Thorne (Academy Award winner for A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM) keeps the Man of Steel flying high with two stupendous orchestral scores that incorporate John Williams’ original material with maximum emotional power. Both film scores utilize the same stellar master as the 2008 “Superman: The Music” box set from FSM, assembled here across 3-CDs. Disc 2 presents a collection of source music and songs from the first three Superman films composed by John Williams, Ken Thorne and Giorgio Moroder, including some previously unreleased tracks. Produced by Mike Matessino and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this set offers a 44-page booklet with in-depth liner notes by Matessino, Jeff Eldridge and associate producer Lukas Kendall, updated from the FSM Superman box set for this 3-disc reissue. The heroic building-bounding art design is by Jim Titus. This edition is limited to 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1 – SUPERMAN II (1980)

1.  Preface / Villains in the Zone / Main Title March  8:23 
2.  Superman to Paris / Lois Climbs Tower  2:49
3.  Walkie Talkies / Gelignite Bangs / Superman Saves Lift  2:10 
4.  Lift Into Space – Releasing the Villains  1:36 
5.  Orange Juice / Prison Intro / My Little Black Box  1:51 
6.  Ursa Flies Over Moon / Spacecraft Wrecked / Moon to Earth  4:05
7.  Lex Escapes  2:07 
8.  Sleeping Arrangements /Relaxing at Niagara/ Looks Familiar/ Superman Saves Boy  3:33
9.  Lex and Miss Teschmacher to Fortress / Lex Plans Partnership  2:39 
10.  Suspecting Lois Takes the Plunge / Clark Fumbles Rescue / Villains Land by Lake  3:37 
11.  Clark Exposed as Superman  3:13 
12.  Sheriff and Duane Meet Villains / Lovers Fly North  2:24
13.  Daddy’s Rise and Fall / Flight for Flowers / East Houston Battle  3:06 
14.  Lovers at Dinner Table / Zod Meets General  1:38
15.  Mother’s Advice  1:52 
16.  To Bed – Mt. Rushmore – Sweet Dreams  1:35 
17.  President Kneels Before Zod  1:55 
18.  Fight in Diner  1:06 
19.  TV President Resigns – Clark to Fortress  2:44 
20.  Return of the Green Crystal / Bored Zod  2:19
21.  Non Wrecks Office  1:30 
22.  Aerial Battle / Zod Throws Slab / Superman Saves Spire  4:52 
23.  Superman Saves Petrol Tanker / Superman Battles Zod / Superman Flies Off  4:31 
Disc 1 Total Time:  63:35

DISC 2 – SUPERMAN II  (cont’d) 

1.  Villains Take Lex and Lois to Fortress / School Games  3:14 
2.  Superman Pulls Big Switch / Superman Triumphs Over Villains  1:59 
3.  Sad Return  1:41 
4.  Lois Forgets  1:49 
5.  Happy Lois Back to Normal/Superman Replaces Stars and Stripes/ End Title March  5:38 
Total SUPERMAN II Score Time:  79:56

SOURCE MUSIC AND SONGS FROM THE SUPERMAN FILMS
Music by JOHN WILLIAMS, KEN THORNE and GIORGIO MORODER

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (1978)
6.  Can You Read My Mind (Instrumental No. 1)  3:11 
7.  Sunday Meeting  1:30
8.  Kansas High School  1:47 
9.  Kansas Kids  1:30 
10.  Late Night Country Music  0:53
11.  Luthor’s Luau  2:50 
12.  Lois’ Pad  1:17 
13.  Desert Riff  0:23
14.  Lois Car Radio  1:56 
15.  Kids on the Bus  1:31
16.  Can You Read My Mind (Instrumental No. 2)  2:55 
Total Time:  19:43

SUPERMAN II (1980)
17.  Honeymoon Hotel  3:17 
18.  Country & Western   2:12 
19.  East Houston Café  2:16 
20.  Car Radio for Ride Back  1:00 
21.  Diner Jukebox No. 1  2:19 
22.  Diner Jukebox No. 2  2:20 
Total Time:  13:25

SUPERMAN III (1983)
23.  Colombian Storm Intro  1:10 
24.  Olympic Parade  0:28 
25.  Après Ski  1:06 
26.  Rock On (Marshall Crenshaw)  3:45 
27.  No See, No Cry (Chaka Khan)  3:20 
28.  They Won’t Get Me (Roger Miller)  3:22 
29.  Love Theme (Helen St. John)  3:18 
30.  Main Title March (Giorgio Moroder)  4:17 
Total Time:  20:46
Total SOURCE MUSIC AND SONGS TIME:  53:55
Disc 2 Total Time:  68:16

DISC 3 - SUPERMAN III (1983)

1.  Main Title (The Streets of Metropolis)   5:31 
2.  Gus On Computer After the Cents   1:08
3.  Saving the Factory – The Acid Test   6:15 
4.  Payday for Gus /  School Gym – Earth Angel / Vulcan   1:39 
5.  Lana and Clark in Cornfield / Clark Rescues Ricky   2:29 
6.  Gus Shows the Booze / Gus Finds a Way   1:21
7.  Montage   3:12 
8.  Colombian Storm   1:32 
9.  Kryptonite / Gus Down Building / Searching for Kryptonite   2:18
10.  Lana and Clark on Telephone / Kryptonite Sting / Superman Affected by Kryptonite /       Superman Too Late  1:50 
11.  Tower of Pisa / What Will It Do for Me   2:00 
12.  Superman and Lorelei on Statue / Superman Ruins Tanker   2:22
13.  Boxes in Canyon / Drunken Superman   3:24
14.  The Two Faces of Superman   2:54 
15.  The Struggle Within   2:29
16.  The Final Victory   2:19
17.  Preparing Balloons / Superman Coming / Computer   3:04
18.  Rockets / Video Games / Big Missile   3:15 
19.  Superman Confronts Ross / Computer Takes Over / Gus Fights Ross   2:16
20.  The Computer Comes Alive / Superman Leaves Computer Cave   2:35
21.  Metal Vera / Computer Blows Up   2:57 
22.  Gus Flying With Superman   1:22 
23.  Diamond Sting / Thank You Superman / Superman Gus / 
Clark Gives Lana Diamond Ring   1:43 
24.  End Credits   4:29 
Total SUPERMAN III Score Time:  64:21

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

25.  Pay Day for Gus [Alternate]  0:49
26.  Main Title (The Streets of Metropolis) [Alternate]  5:29
Disc 3 Total Time:  70:41
Total Three-Disc Time:  3:24:32

There doesn't appear to be a link for purchasing this release on LLL's website -- or any indication this release exists at all. How can that be, if it started shipping today?

2 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

There doesn't appear to be a link for purchasing this release on LLL's website -- or any indication this release exists at all. How can that be, if it started shipping today?

LLL CDs generally go on sale at noon pacific. Which is in just under 2 hours.

Great that these are being released for those who either weren't collecting at the time or were unable to get the Blue Box :)

I might consider getting LLL's release of Superman, based on MM's comments on wanting to re-visit it.

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

Great that these are being released for those who either weren't collecting at the time or were unable to get the Blue Box :)

And for those who wanted those Superman The Movie alternates/source cues thought lost at the time of the Blue Box.

This beautiful looking set will be mine. Truth be told, I'am waiting for the 13th November titles-will have to order right along with them. Hoping for Superman the Movie in that batch!

I have the Blue Box. 

And this is pretty much the Blue Box, minus the best and more interesting things.

I will never get why people need to buy pretty much double the stuff, only because it's a different release, or has slightly different audio, or contains some piece of obscure source music, when a 99% identical release happened very few years ago.

I didn't buy the LotR CR rereleases either. 

The money and energy of this would have been well placed in something else.

Sorry to ask this very "specific" question.

But does John Williams actually "conduct" some music on this new set (I'm refering to the source music from the first movie).

(My guess is YES)

- The guy who make a discography

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Sorry to ask this very "specific" question.

But does John Williams actually "conduct" some music on this new set (I'm refering to the source music from the first movie).

(My guess is YES)

- The guy who make a discography

Probablyyyyyyy? Although with this kind of stuff there should be the position of 2nd Unit Conductor!