Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME (2019)

Jay

Amazon says the physical CD is now dropping July 5 instead of June 28 :(

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Amazon says the physical CD is now dropping July 5 instead of June 28 :(

I know, not sure whether to drop the order, or wait till it hits stores here, which is around the 12th...

Fuck it!

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

So looking at some posts over at the FFH thread at FSM, this is another CD-R on demand score?

Is this a recent trend? MIB:International is also CD-R. Cost-saving measure, no doubt, but when A-list composers like Elfman and Giacchino can’t get standard pressings, is that another death knell for the CD maybe?

Just saw the movie, I like the new Spider-Man theme from Homecoming. It’s very simple and reminiscent of the Avengers Theme and Rey’s Theme. 

The movie feels lighter than the last one:

Soundtrack: 3.5/5

Film: Better Than TLJ/5

For a moment I thought Peter was going to say sth like “Use the Force.”

I’m pretty sure TROS will be the only 5/5 score of 2019 for me.

WTF?😉

1 minute ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

the new Spider-Man theme

Wait, what?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, what?

Sorry, turns out the melody debuted in Homecoming. 

The new theme from Far From Home should be the Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal) Theme.

Sorry! 😖

There are tons of new themes in the Far From Home score.  Myesterio's,  MJ's, the Elementals, Nick Fury's...

I haven't seen the film yet so ain't gonna open that, but I am just going off the speculation of what things are from the OST; The theme I'm talking about surely seems to be for Nick Fury since its based off the Avengers theme.  Maybe you should check out the Far From Home Suite with this guide in mind and tell us what you think?

Updated impressions of the suite - all guesswork:

0:07 Spider-Man theme
1:00 Peter's theme
2:37 Peter & MJ theme
3:59 Nick Fury motif
5:04 Mysterio theme
5:36 Elemental's motif
6:22 Dark Mysterio theme

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen the film yet so ain't gonna open that, but I am just going off the speculation of what things are from the OST; The theme I'm talking about surely seems to be for Nick Fury since its based off the Avengers theme.  Maybe you should check out the Far From Home Suite with this guide in mind and tell us what you think?

Oh, I think I know what theme was that. 

I don’t want to spoil anything. That particular theme seems to be a variation of the Avengers main theme. It’s definitely intensional.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What is a CD-R score?

A score released on CD-R instead of an actual pressed CD?

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I recently bought the Homecoming CD but am now too afraid to open it out of fear that it may be a CD-R :(

Homecoming was a pressed CD.  Or did you mean to say Far From Home?

The Amazon US entry for Homecoming's OST does NOT indicate it's a CDR: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S2G1D3

The Amazon US entry for Far From Home's OST DOES indicate it is a CDR: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJ9JD63

Far From Home's OST is still a real CD overseas, such as for example on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJ9JD63/

Whilst most of Giacchino’s themes are solid without being spectacular, he does package them to make them very listenable on his OSTs.

Loved the score within the movie.  Themes played very well.  Score wasn't buried in effects, either!  Given lots of room to shine.  One of my favorites from Gia already.  

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Homecoming was a pressed CD.  Or did you mean to say Far From Home?

No I meant Homecoming. Thanks for confirming, that is a relief. 

Hey, I can't confirm the Amazon US entry isn't wrong, simply that it doesn't state its a CDR, and the one I ordered in 2017 from Amazon is certainly a real CD

OK so it turns out Ant was basically completely spot-on with his guesses at what the new themes are that premiered in the Suite; Here's my own slightly different presentation of the same information:

• 0:00-2:14 Main Theme
  • 2:14-4:00 Peter & MJ love theme
  • 4:00-4:58 Nick Fury / SHIELD theme
  • 4:58-7:05 Mysterio and the Elementals theme suite
  • 7:05-end Main Theme

To further breakdown the Mysterio/Elementals section, I'd say specifically it goes something like this (note the overlapping of themes):

• 4:58-5:07 Mysterio ostinato (electronics & percussion)
  • 5:05-5:36 Mysterio's theme (brass)
  • 5:36-5:49 The Elementals brass fanfare
  • 5:36-6:06 The Elementals theme (on strings from 5:36-5:52, then on brass from 5:52-6:06)
  • 6:06-6:23 Mysterio ostinato (electronics & guitar)
  • 6:22-6:46 Mysterio's Theme (on guitar at first, gives way to being on brass)
  • 6:46-7:03 The Elementals brass fanfare
  • 6:46-7:03 Mysterio ostinato (electronics)

And here is a quick spoiler-heavy tidbit about one of the themes

The Elementals Theme is I think better described as more of an "Mysterio's illusions" theme - I think I remember it being used for some of his illusions to trick Peter and not just for the Elemental monsters, but I can't recall for certain; Gonna re-listen to the OST soon and see if it pops up in any cues for scenes they aren't in.

OK here's what I think each track on the soundtrack correlates to in the film.

MASSIVE SPOILERS!

1. Far From Home Suite Home (8:27)

• This is the end credits, after "And Now This..." and before the final (unscored IIRC) post-credits scene.  I believe only one small section towards the end was edited out, otherwise it plays in full over the main roll

2. It’s Perfect (0:30)

• Peter gets the dahlia necklace for MJ; "It's perfect" is dialogue he says when seeing it and leaving the store with it

3. World’s Worst Water Feature (7:30)

• Water Elemental attack in Venice, with the main theme for Peter's heroics trying to save buildings without being seen, the Elementals theme for the creature, and Mysterio's theme when he shows up to battle him.  The big heroic version of Mysterio's Theme at the end is perfect for his "hero moment" at the end as he "defeats" the creature

4. Multiple Realities (3:32)

• Nick Fury/SHIELD theme that opens the track would I think underscore them arriving at the makeshift SHIELD headquarters; the rest of the track should underscore the whole scene in the bunker with Peter meets Maria Hill & Mysterio and hears Mysterio's made up story about where he's from, etc.

5. Brad to the Drone (3:32)

• Man when I heard this on the OST I was scratching my head trying to figure out why such a crazy, over-the-top action cue appeared so early on the album like this, and sure enough in the film the over-the-top nature of it perfectly fits the ridiculous nature of the scene - this is for Peter starting to use the EDITH glasses, accidentally initiating the drone strike on Brad when they are in the bus, and then him finally disabling the drone and saving them all just in time

6. Change of Plans (2:28)

• Since this is largely a sad version of Mysterio's Theme, I think this is for the talk Peter & Mysterio have on the ledge outside his Prague hotel room.  Can't remember what the fun version of the main theme at the end of the track is for

7. Night Monkey Knows How to Do It (0:19)

• This is after Peter leaves MJ at the opera, puts on the stealth costume, and is seen perched on a ledge high over the carnival watching for the Fire Elemental.  So this entire cue actually plays out BEFORE Ned coins the term "Night Monkey" on the ferris wheel.  In the film, source music for the carnival (not sure if original by Giacchino or existing) basically blends right into this cue, obscuring the beginning of it

8. Mr. One Hundred and One (3:20)
9. Prague Rocked (3:43)

• These two tracks would cover Peter and Mysterio's battle with the Fire Elemental in Prague, I'm not sure specifically what happens in one track vs the other

10. Who’s Behind Those Foster Grants (2:57)

• This is Peter & Mysterio's talk in the bar, with a sad version of Giacchino's Iron Man theme from Homecoming underscoring Peter talking about him, and Silvestri's Avengers theme appearing the moment Mysterio puts on the EDITH glasses [btw: Foster Grant is a sunglasses brand].  The dark music at the end of the tracks is after Peter leaves the bar and the illusion wipes away

11. Power to the People (3:33)

• This is Mysterio's big speech at the bar that explains his entire plan so far, the flashbacks to Civil War and Iron Man showing how his team is made up of people from those scenes, etc etc

12. Personal Hijinks (3:53)

• Not positive, but I think this has got to be Peter and MJ's talk outside the hotel in Prague, since the first 2 minutes is the love theme; The second half of the track would then be their discovery and discussion of the projector piece she found

13. Praguenosis: BAD (1:08)

• Not sure about this one; Since it features the Elementals theme perhaps it is the scene where Mysterio works on his illusions with the computer guy and he has him double the damage, then they realize a drone is missing a projector and MJ & Peter have it

14. A Lot of ‘Splaining to Do (2:14)

• I suppose this is Peter heading into the fake SHIELD headquarters in Berlin with fake Nick Fury

15. The Magical Mysterio Tour (3:21)

• This would be Peter realizing he's being tricked, Maria Hill disappearing, and then the whole sequence of him going through all of Mysterio's illusions with the fake PJ, fake Eiffel Tower, etc etc while Mysterio taunts him

16. Taking the Gullible Express/ Spidey Sensitive (5:07)

• Opens with Nick Fury / SHIELD theme as the previous sequence ends with Mysterio being "shot" by Fury, only to reveal it was a trick after he tell him MJ & Ned know about the projector, and then his continuing duel with Mysterio & more illusions, ending with Peter getting hit by the train.  At least that's the first 2 minutes of the track; The remaining 3 minutes I think are the Netherlands scenes after the unscored jail scene, with Peter calling Happy and him arriving in the jet, their talk about Tony and everything else, with the main theme stuff at the end being for him starting to build his new Spider-suit, which segues into "Led Zeppelin" (actually AC/DC) in the film

17. Gloom and Doom (4:16)

• I suppose this is Mysterio setting up his big London illusion, with Peter's classmates trapped in the bus.  Not sure what else could be happening here

18. High and Flighty (2:20)

• I think this is Happy flying the jet over the Elemental illusion with Peter on the outside, and him parachuting in

19. An Internal Battle (1:50)

• Should be Peter inside the illusion, hopping around and putting his conductive webs on a bunch of drones, not sure what other general battle stuff

20. Happy Landings (2:58)

• Probably Happy landing on the ground, finding Peter's classmates, and running with them to the museum when the jet blows up plus more general battle stuff

21. Tower of Cower (5:12)

• I suppose this is the remaining portion of the final battle, including all the museum stuff, ending with Peter finally making his way up to the section of the tower Mysterio's in but then being unable to reach him due to all the drones

22. Bridging the Trap (1:58)

• Should be Peter's run towards Mysterio when he closes his eyes and realizes he can use his Spidey Sense to get past them all, ignoring Mysterio's illusions

23. Bridge and Love’s Burning (2:50)

• Peter and MJ's talk on the bridge where they finally kiss, etc

24. Swinging Set (1:47)

• Peter swinging through NYC on his own for a while, then meeting up with MJ and taking her up in the air with him, ending the film; in the film the cue segues right into an existing pop song ("Vacation" by the Go-Gos IIRC) that covers the main credits

25. And Now This… (0:58)

• After the main credits, Peter and MJ land and she says she doesn't want to do that again and he says goodbye and hops upward, only have to have JJJ's video feed start.  Can't remember if all that was scored, unscored, or still had the pop song underneath.  This cue I think begins when the footage Mysterio doctored begins playing, ending with Peter about to say "What the fuck!" just like Homecoming ended with Aunt May about to say "What the fuck!" as the "no frills Proto-Cool" cue ended.  This is followed by the Suite as mentioned above.

I welcome all corrections, I'm just going off my memory here!

Yes, it is chronological apart from moving the end credits to the beginning.

Thought this would be fun; If you want to listen to the score by country!

MEXICO
1 cue not on the OST

NEW YORK CITY
3 or 4 cues not on the OST

VENICE
2. It’s Perfect (0:30)
3. World’s Worst Water Feature (7:30)
4. Multiple Realities (3:32)

AUSTRIA
5. Brad to the Drone (3:32)

PRAGUE
6. Change of Plans (2:28)
7. Night Monkey Knows How to Do It (0:19)
8. Mr. One Hundred and One (3:20)
9. Prague Rocked (3:43)
10. Who’s Behind Those Foster Grants (2:57)
11. Power to the People (3:33)
12. Personal Hijinks (3:53)
13. Praguenosis: BAD (1:08)

BERLIN
14. A Lot of ‘Splaining to Do (2:14)
15. The Magical Mysterio Tour (3:21)
16A [first 2 minutes] Taking the Gullible Express

THE NETHERLANDS
16B [final 3 minutes] Spidey Sensitive

LONDON
17. Gloom and Doom (4:16)
18. High and Flighty (2:20)
19. An Internal Battle (1:50)
20. Happy Landings (2:58)
21. Tower of Cower (5:12)
22. Bridging the Trap (1:58)
23. Bridge and Love’s Burning (2:50)

NEW YORK CITY
24. Swinging Set (1:47)
25. And Now This… (0:58)

END CREDITS
1. Far From Home Suite Home (8:27)

On 7/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Jay said:

Hey, I can't confirm the Amazon US entry isn't wrong, simply that it doesn't state its a CDR, and the one I ordered in 2017 from Amazon is certainly a real CD

Wel I mustered up the courage to check my Homecoming CD and it does appear to be pressed. Whew!

Just saw the film - absolutely love all the Mysterio Theme variations,

Spoiler

particularly the sinister versions.

I really dig the mysterio's theme, me think it's perhaps one of Gia's best villain theme ( almost up there with Syndrome's)

Come to think of it,

Giacchino, just like Powell, in my petty assumption, has a way of constructing his theme ( and i dont know the exact terminology for this)

Mysterio theme, 

and Doctor Strange's theme, they are vaguely similar ( but its okay though, so are both characters's look)

Commoners like me would transcribe the similarities with this following:

(A Section )

See how the theme begins with an A--then return to ---> A again. Then A again. Then it touches to a minor note, descending, then ascending to A ( bit minorish) with the last note sustained (prolonged) 

but it doesnt stop there. 

(B section)

look how he always uses three-notes for base.

Mysterio's B

Strange's B

Even his Spidey's theme has similar B section

Again i AM NOT BASHING Gia for this, as of matter of fact, this what makes Gia's music Gia's, and its really interesting

Anyway i just want to give my thought, without any expertise in music theory. Anyone find that "similarities" perhaps? or want to help with the exact terminology?

On 7/2/2019 at 1:56 PM, Jay said:

The Amazon US entry for Homecoming's OST does NOT indicate it's a CDR: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S2G1D3

The Amazon US entry for Far From Home's OST DOES indicate it is a CDR: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJ9JD63

Far From Home's OST is still a real CD overseas, such as for example on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJ9JD63/

I may end up ordering from FYI like I did GKOTM, if they have FFH listed for sale.

Haven't seen the film, but purely by the themes, these are by far Giacchino's weakest franchise scores. Just very very paint by the numbers. Doesn't reflect Spider-Man to me at all. Might as well be unused material from Star Trek or Jurassic World.

Context is key. Not all scores can take on a life outside the film, but I think Mysterio's Theme and Spidey's Theme work well enough to be distinct and memorable.

I LOVE Giacchino, overall...but it just bothers me that he essentially lifted Holst’s Mars for the entire “World’s Worst Water Feature” track...like it’s not even in disguise. I hope/wonder if he credited Holst in the liner notes/credits.  It actually took me out of the movie yesterday,... I was like “ok, why am I hearing “Mars?””.....

Like many composers in film music history. Williams, Conti, Zimmer, Horner... The list goes on. This is nothing new really.

Karol

Didn't bother me in the slightest since I've never listened to Mars :P 

On 7/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, gkgyver said:

Haven't seen the film, but purely by the themes, these are by far Giacchino's weakest franchise scores. Just very very paint by the numbers. Doesn't reflect Spider-Man to me at all. Might as well be unused material from Star Trek or Jurassic World.

All I remember from the movie was spiderman, spiderman, friendly neighborhood spiderman. Im sure there is more but as a non fan of Mikes I mostly didn't actively listen.

The more I think about the film the less I like it.

I'm really digging the driving action motif that runs through Happy Landings and Tower of Cower. Fun stuff!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Didn't bother me in the slightest since I've never listened to Mars :p

Oh man! You should really listen to The Planets. The Mars movement alone has had such a huge influence on so many composers, Williams included, and is overall a quintessential work of the 20th century. Surely you've heard Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity, no?