Personalized 1-disc edits of LOTR/Hobbit scores?

JJA

Has anyone here tried to do this? 

Nothing wrong with completeness of course, but it can be an interesting experiment to condense such complex scores to a shorter presentation. With the LOTR trilogy, we obviously have the OSTs for this, but they don't quite utilize the potential 80 minute (or near) disc space to their fullest, and we may have disagreements with some of the programming choices in them. 

The OSTs, the CRs, the rarities CD, and rips from the fanclub credits are all acceptable sources here.

So, if you've ever done this, let's see tracklists and explanations of edits and what versions of tracks you used/combined and such.

I made a 60 minute suite of DOS music (in three pieces) that was pretty cool, but nothing else.  I did think about making my own 75 minute highlight reel of each score someday, maybe.

I'm on a sort of ongoing attempt to make a 'best of' for The Hobbit. My current playlist is just over an hour, but I know it's missing some good stuff, and when 'Ravenhill' came on in the car the other day, I wasn't impressed. Most of the material is from AUJ with very little from BOFA.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sometimes make a playlist of the openings of each of the films or the finales. Or sometimes even major musical sequences, one from each. I do this with series all the time, to compare installments and isolate sections. If I do the openings, let's say, I choose everything up to the first major set-piece or tableau change in each score and then move to the next installment.

My Dear Frodo

Old Friends

An Unexpected Party

Blunt the Knives

Axe or Sword

Misty Mountains

The Quest for Erebor

Wilderland

A Necromancer

The House of Beorn

Fire and Water

Shores of the Long Lake

Beyond Sorrow & Grief

Guardians of the Three

1:02:03

If I did the finales, it would look like this. I include bonus tracks because I spin a disc until it finishes, especially with LOTR/Hobbit. I am personally comparing the ends of listening experiences as much as the scores themselves.

Out of the Frying-Pan

A Good Omen

Song of the Lonely Mountain

A Very Respectable Hobbit

Erebor

The Dwarf Lords

The Edge of the Wild

The Hunters

Smaug

My Armor Is Iron

I See Fire

Beyond the Forest

Courage and Wisdom

The Return Journey

There and Back Again

The Last Goodbye

Ironfoot

Dragon-sickness

Thrain

1:31:32

I don't know if those are short enough or exactly what you are looking for, but this is how I typically do highlights

• 1 month later...

I recently attempted to creat a “single disc” version of the hobbit trilogy scores that tries to hit all the major story beats from the book. It runs a little over 80 minutes. So it wouldn’t fit on one CD lol. But I didn’t want this to simply be a “best of” compilation. It flows well enough and is  a decent playlist if anyone is interested:

Old Friends

Misty Mountains

The Adventure Begins

Roast Mutton

The Hidden Valley

Over Hill

Riddles in the Dark

Brass Buttons

The Woodland Realm

Barrels out of Bond

The Forest River

The Protector of Common Folk

The Courage of Hobbits

Fire and Water

The Ruins of Dale

Sons Durin

IronFoot- Extended Version

The Return Journey

There and Back Again

If you took out “Protector of Common Folk” and switched the extended version of IronFoot for the album version, It should shrink the time down enough. I’m just a sucker for the “Lake Town” theme:)

the only story beat from the novel not really represented is the spiders. So you could add that track in if you’d like (Flies and Spiders). But I think the Woodland Realm track is a decent enough transition to Mirkwood. 

I sort of tried to do the same thing, mostly using tracks named after Chapter Titles from the book, or the closest match I thought fitted, and album suites. Again, it's nowhere near a "best of" but flows nicely (imho), though clocks in at 109 mins.

An Unexpected Party

Roast Mutton

The Hidden Valley

Over Hill

Dreaming of Bag End

Under Hill

Riddles In the Dark

Out of the Frying-Pan

The House of Beorn

Flies and Spiders

Beyond the Forest

Barrels Out of Bond

Thrice Welcome

On the Doorstep

Inside Information

Smaug

Fire and Water

The Gathering of the Clouds

A Thief in the Night

The Clouds Burst

Ironfoot

The Return Journey

There and Back Again

Huh. I’ll have to give it another listen.

Other than the Forest River (my favorite cue in the entire Hobbit Trilogy) and the Lake Town theme, DOS didn’t really grab me. Lots of brooding:/

But I’ve been going through the Doug Adams OneRing.net music commentaries for the Hobbit trilogy and its bringing out some cool observations I’d never made before.

There isn't anything to listen to, I don't know if a full version of the theme was even recorded. 

We only got to hear it as a mockup somewhere, was it the weird AR thing that came with the DOS OST maybe? 

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Jim Ware said:

Shore did sketch some thematic outlines for Beorn during the writing of film one. Unfortunately there isn’t a formal ‘theme suite’.

What was the intended timbre/instrumentation? 

I very much want to think the recurring motif during his scenes is his theme.