Favorite Star Wars finale and end credits music?

artguy360

Pretty much as the thread title says: What is your favorite finale and end credits music from a Star Wars score and why?

Personally, I cannot pick a single favorite but I do have 2.

1. Jedi Steps and End Credits for having original renditions of all the major new themes and the wonderful interplay between the Force theme and Rey's theme before ending on the twinkly version of Luke's theme. Then there is the Jedi Steps itself which is so mysterious and the first interesting variation on the Binary Sunset music since the original.

2.  A New Hope and End Credits from the ROTS OST. Sweet renditions of Leia's theme and Luke's theme plus an end credits suite with new performance's of Leia's theme and the Throne Room music. At the time I thought it was a great send off for the entire Star Wars saga, minus the rough transition from the Binary Sunset music to the end credits.

The finale from AOTC is pretty damn good but I hated how JW just lazily cut and paste his concert suites into the prequel credits (especially when said suites were already featured on the OSTs!) I guess those films didn't deserve much better. Even more baffling was replacing JW's intended AOTC credits coda with the end of the Across the Stars concert suite.

I'm very glad he returned to form with TFA and hope he finishes it all off with another great suite in IX. Not sure what the deal is with TLJ, other than realising he couldn't stretch TLJ's new material into an entire credits suite. What he did write was exceptional (Leia's tribute and another gorgeous Rey's Theme coda).

1. Throne Room and Finale from "Star Wars"
  2. The Rebel Fleet and End Title from "The Empire Strikes Back"
  3. The Jedi Steps and Finale from "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
  4. Victory Celebration and End Title from "Return of the Jedi"
  5. A New Hope and End Credits from "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith"
  6. Finale from "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" (Across the Stars plus Luke's Theme!)
  7. End Credits from "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace"
  8. Finale from "Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

😉👻

The best end credits and finales by film in my opinion:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi 

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

38 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

😉👻

Nice to see you around s'more bud!

The one where it plays the force theme and then goes into the End Credits...

But seriously, I remember how awesome it was hearing the End Credits of TFA in IMAX with that gorgeous full-blown rendition of Rey’s Theme.  It gave me chills and it completely sucks that they removed it on the Blu Ray. 

I’d pick AOTC as a close second too (finale). I must have listened to that track a thousand times. 

Tough one. I might have to approach the finale and credits separately.

For finale, I have to give it to ANH. A lot of this is just pure nostalgia on my part, but I cannot suppress my grin during the original throne room cue. ESB and AOTC might be tied for second, I guess with ESB pulling slightly ahead. TFA gets some points for the outstanding Jedi Steps material, but loses most of them by rehashing ROTS's severely underwhelming ending.

For credits, I'd make it a tie between ESB and TFA, with ANH not far behind.

I suppose the overall winner for me might be ANH, but it's a tough call.

4 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

The Force Awakens is the best. TPM is the worst.

I still prefer it to The Last Jedi.  TPM might only be two concert arrangements pasted together but they're both pretty great and flow together nice enough.  TLJ feels oddly disjointed with overly short reprises of the new thematic material and underscore bits/old concert arrangements to pad out the running time.   Though it does have that nice "real world" tribute to Carrie Fisher.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Finales

ANH and TESB

The very worst are TPM and RotJ

Seriously Yubnub or Victory celebration is the worst possible way to end the OT

They're popcorn space movies for babies.

People saying AOTC spurred me to revisit the end credits music. I had totally forgotten how awesome the very end is with the lovely interplay between Anakin's theme, the love theme, and Vader's theme. What an amazing ending.

Does anyone else find the rendition of Luke and Leia's theme in the end credits of ROTJ to be a little monotonous? I listened to it yesterday and found it to be kind of overly heavy and repetitive which is not how I feel about the theme when I listen to the concert version by itself. Then again, I am pretty unfamiliar with the ROTJ end credits music overall.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, Steve McQueen said:

I like TFA.  Exceptionally strong, not only Jedi Steps with its striking new melodic material, but also the concise, engaging way the themes of the score are presented afterwards.

Good stuff all around.

Yeah, in terms of format or structure, TFA is probably my favorite.

TLJ is disappointing because it's not a wholly original concert arrangement.  Still baffling to me that Williams had such a luxuriously long recording schedule and couldn't put together an end credits suite without tracked music.  I mean, I'm glad they managed to include Holdo's Resolve on the OST, but was that the best way to do it?

I do love the score overall!

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

TLJ is disappointing because it's not a wholly original concert arrangement.  Still baffling to me that Williams had such a luxuriously long recording schedule and couldn't put together an end credits suite without tracked music.  I mean, I'm glad they managed to include Holdo's Resolve on the OST, but was that the best way to do it?

I do love the score overall!

I think the fact that JW had so much time and yet didn't write an original end credits suite is secretly a sign that he just didn't enjoy scoring the movie that much. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I prefer the more orchestral mix of Augie's Band from the new Disney OST. If you were to completely remove the children, it would be less cloying. It's stylistically designed to be that way, but they diminished the effects of it.

Can anyone explain what the first 42 seconds of Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale was meant to score? Lining it up with the final film doesn't really work, musically (and if it was Williams' original intention, it's an odd choice). In the final film, we only hear this track from 0:42 onwards, as Dooku approaches Coruscant.

In the final cut (edited differently on the Bluray than theatrically), the preceding shots are underscored with tracked music from the end of The Homestead (or Carrying Mother Home).

So was there deleted footage here or was this simply Williams' intended music for Dooku escaping and Yoda/Padme approaching the injured Anakin/Obi-Wan?

On 10/17/2018 at 7:44 PM, artguy360 said:

I think the fact that JW had so much time and yet didn't write an original end credits suite is secretly a sign that he just didn't enjoy scoring the movie that much. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Perhaps the jumbled nature of the end credits is representative of the possibility that there was a decision made late in the game to change the music for them? I have no proof whatsoever to back this up, just a thought.  

After the cherry bomb of excellence that was The Force Awakens' credits, what a letdown The Last Jedi's was. I think I've only listened to it three times, all the way through. 

As far as finales, in 2002 John Williams went to a baton labelled "expectations" and snapped it with his bare hands. Holy hot damn, that whole last track.  Yeah, the Imperial March was way on the nose, but the movie sucked anyways, and this music is going to outlast the film's impact by decades, so why not have one of the most badass, ballsiest-to-the-walliest rendition of it out there? Especially compared to the polite, reverent, weird-name-drop ones in the sequels. 

• 4 years later...

Interesting to see how my answers have shifted (or not) over time.

My current top picks, just going off of the end credits themselves:

1. ANH: Classic, giddy, and romantic. Perfection.
  2. ESB: Outstanding variations on the new themes for Yoda, Vader, and Han/Leia, all expertly woven together.
  3. TFA: Juggles a whopping 5 new themes without just rehashing the score.

In addition to simply being extraordinary music, these three are the most unique/indispensable compared to the other tracks on their albums. They're also some of the best musical summaries of their respective films/scores. But the others are all varying degrees of superb too.

TLJ comes in last.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, you were just asking about the first six films. I'm actually unsure what would come after ESB … at the moment I'm leaning toward TPM.

Fun to see this topic bumped! Concerning the end credits to TROS, I think my opinion has hardened over time. Initially I really enjoyed it, but now it all feels a little jumbled and clunky in several places. I'm contrast, my love for the ROTS end credits has only grown. Such a sweeping rendition of Leia's theme with a seamless transition into BOTH and the Throne Room concert version as a surprise gift, all performed by the LSO. SW music lmost doesn't get better than that.

9 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

out of the original six film scores

Six (or even nine) end credit suites are not unmanageable, so I personally recommend you go through all of them for the listening experience. Then you can decide which ones you like most 😁

This is not tongue-in-cheek. My personal opinion is that 4 & 5 are "through-composed" (with some rocky transitions here and there) but 6-1-2-3 start showing some structural fatigue and feel more nakedly like concert suites bodged together. (See other comments from folks upthread.)

As Datameister says:

8 hours ago, Datameister said:

ANH: Classic, giddy, and romantic. Perfection.

4 my guilty favorite for how smoothly it flows from theme to theme. No last-second "evasive action!" modulations (in my opinion), and of course it distinguishes itself by being the only suite to kick off the staff roll fanfare in D flat major.

But the other five bring their own charms and trade-offs. I adore 1 & 2 for how they end — brooding reminders that the prequels sketch out a tragic trilogy — and the scope of 3 is matched perhaps only by 9 (out of scope for your question).

15 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

Ok, so I'm a huge fan of the original six Star Wars scores and films. So out of the original six film scores, which one do you guys recommend me listening to as far as End Credits music? Let me know. 

Well, if you are a huge fan of the scores, my recommendation would all of them.