DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'd be interested in seeing a spectogram comparison of the Sony 2016 version of that track (sourced via new scans of the OST masters) and the 2018 Disney version of the track (which should've been sourced from the film mix tapes).

Spoiler

dRDwpH1.gif

The last third of the waveform is what we're looking at and it's pretty different, but the spectogram is just a bit more purple in the new one.

Well, that spectogram was definitely interesting! Concerningly, the Jabba portion of the track appears (barring the additional pink tinge) almost identical to the 2016 scans, whereas the first 2/3 of the track has noticeable differences.

The weird horizontal artifact throughout the entire Jabba portion also appears in both versions, which... yeah. Not looking good for those lost ROTJ tapes, it seems. :(

The waveforms are very different though. My only explanation is someone did much more manipulation on the levels with the Sony set, whereas the Disney set was thrown together with much less finesse for volume adjustments. Seemingly both versions of that section came from the same scan. A high resolution comparison of just the final third of the track would probably yield more clarity.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not looking good for those lost ROTJ tapes, it seems. 

Though there's still the chance that these new transfers were just from everything they had on hand and haven't looked for anything they didn't. Mike could still look for the missing sections and he's shown a knack for tracking down misplaced bits.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Though there's still the chance that these new transfers were just from everything they had on hand and haven't looked for anything they didn't. Mike could still look for the missing sections and he's shown a knack for tracking down misplaced bits.

Perhaps they were mislabelled as "Dracula mono tapes".

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Are you saying we all need to eat magic mushrooms?

Keep in my mind you have to save the princess at the end!

After reading about the Dracula masters only existing in mono from a reliable source and then the stereo masters later discovered, I'm at the point where I don't trust anything or anyone anymore!

image.png

Hmm. Still, if Murphy rebuilt the concert piece from the original sources, it would probably be at least a little different to the original mix that was also used on the album. Could we compare the 2016 and 2018 Parade of the Ewoks, too, to see if they are noticeably different?

Both the 2016 and 2018 versions are available on Spotify, but the 2016 versions have gotten the same cover "art" as the 2018 versions.

Star Wars:

Empire:

Jedi:

Edit: I see that the 2016 tracks now have been replaced by the 2018 tracks.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

So anybody gotten Dracula yet? I know they haven't started shipping yet, but... 

Maybe anybody lives near the HQ of Varese Sarabande (wherever that is) and can pick it up directly from there? 

Thor & Eric ... Are the lucky ones

Thor and Erik got digital downloads courtesy Varese PR dept. The physical cds havent even arrived a the Varese HQ as of yet. Since the packaging is going to be rather special, let's hope it all gets done smoothly from the plant and arrives on time. 

Just now, Incanus said:

It grows inside the Heartwood surrounded by the Five Sacred Trees listening to the eternal Treesong as it produces endless streams of expanded soundtracks of the Williams kind.

I like where this is going.

1979 could be the year of outstandingly great special releases: Star Trek: The Motion Picture and 1941 by La-La Land, Alien by Intrada and presumably Dracula by Varese Sarabande are all releases that the producers put more than just the usual amount of care into.

Star_treka_LLLCD1207.gif1941_LLLCD.gifAlien_MAF7102.gif

2 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Is that all it takes to get expanded soundtracks for free??

Hey Varese -- I hate complete scores too! Composers and album producers can do no wrong!

He's also a reviewer or something. 

3 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Hey Varese -- I hate complete scores too! Composers and album producers can do no wrong!

Too late! Too late!

I'm referring to me having to pay for snotmunchers potentially breaking it open, looking at it for 2 minutes trying to assess its value, throwing it back in, sitting on it for 2 weeks and me having to pay for all that.