DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

So is this more or less another Fury?

An even better score, in my opinion. And personally I find it more akin to Jane Eyre, bookending the 70s on the other end with dark romanticism...

They even have two similar (and similarly titled) scherzos...

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Bat Attack is an album track that contained two cues: Mina Impaled and The Bat Attack.  Each cue is now in their own track, with the Bat Attack cue now called The Attack to avoid confusion with the album track.

Do you know/are you allowed to share anything on why For Mina is still For Mina in the main presentation then?

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Do you know/are you allowed to share anything on why For Mina is still For Mina in the main presentation then?

Either JW or MM liked it that way I suppose.

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

wowowow

Ordered Instantly (along with Cowboys)

I thought the master tapes had burned to a crisp. Never expected this release.

I IS one of the remaining holy grail Williams scores. (considering that for Indy/Star Wars and Potter since we have a lot of near complete bootlegs)

This is the first time we  will hear any of the Dracula unreleased music outside of DVD rips

What are you up to these days? Not posting much, I noticed.

Karol

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I thought the master tapes had burned to a crisp. Never expected this release.

Well that still might be true.  We don't yet know the source(s) that MM used for this release.

I also agree that Dracula is a better score than The Fury (mostly because nothing in The Fury reaches the level of Night Journeys)... but both are really good scores for sure.

And I also agree that the OST presentation of Dracula is quite repetitive, while the complete score is more varied. Now, it is still a score with only one main theme, but with all the cues there is much more varied and interesting music in between each presentation of the main theme. "Grave Trampling and The Asylum" is easily my favorite new track.

Just now, thx99 said:

Well that still might be true.  We don't yet know the source(s) that MM used for this release.

True, MM might have had to use a black magic ritual to resurrect the tapes. ;)

49 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder how long those 5000 units will be around? Pay day can't come soon enough!

My guess is around 10 years. No, seriously.

I might buy several copies and give them away as Christmas or birthday gifts again... :) This sure seems like a lovely set and perfect gift, what with an illustrated book included and all! 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I'm not sure why the press release wouldn't say the source used like all of Intrada's press releases do. Oh well. The liner notes explain everything.

Has Varese ever included information on sources/tech info in their write-ups?  They're usually rather vanilla when it comes to that.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Oh my god the sound quality of this set is awesome (judging by the samples) !! Instantly purchased

1 minute ago, obiwan71 said:

The samples sound incredible to my ears. The improvement over the original CD will be dramatic!

😆😎😎

1 minute ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

"Remastered from the third generation copy of a copy we found in a trash pile with the Botanicus Theme."

Seems like MM is pretty good at finding old rare tapes in perfect condition.

My god, I can't believe it's here! (sung to the French horn in To Scarborough) ORDERED, sweet mother of Nosferatu

That organ in the film version of To Scarborough, wow... which by the way, I should add to the underrated chase scenes thread

This score has long been in my top 10 JW and it's only fitting that Mattesino handled the restoration. W00t!

btw, The Fury is also in my top 10, and equally good imo. '77-'81 is the sweet spot.

I look forward to this - who’d have thought this would see the light of day? I ownn the original CD and look forward to upgrade. Big smile on my face! 

But @Jay, I saw this was commented earlier, but I have to ask as well - is this what you really think?

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Dracula is a better score than The Fury (mostly because nothing in The Fury reaches the level of Night Journeys)

Each to his own! : ) And I agree that overall Dracula might be the better score... but Epilogue is one of the best tracks JW has ever written.

That track alone makes The Fury surpass most of what JW has done outside of his top 5 franchises!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

For some reason, I forgot for a log time that Dracula is one of the Williams/LSO collaborations. Probably because the OST CD sounded so muddy! So great to have this epic collaboration finally given its justice.

They were the perfect foil for his gothic sound at the time. The Hollywood recording of The Fury pales in comparison to the LSO rerecord, in playing alone.

1 minute ago, rough cut said:

Epilogue is one of the best tracks JW has ever written.

It's up there, pretty darn timeless.

Ok, I see that they want to get even more of my money this year. Well, they'll have it! Dracula was the one score by JW that most desperately needed this treatment.