DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

Wow! Sorry to hear others are still awaiting their copies. I'd have thought being on the arse end of Africa and ordering via a 3rd party importer meant I'd be last in line.

1 2 3 4 DRAAKULA

20181128_102347.jpg

5 6 7 8 DRAAKULA

20181128_102509.jpg

Erwacht, erwacht, um Mitternacht

Die Uhr schlächt 12, Ich hör es schon,

Drakula ist bei mir schon!

I always forgot

these two lines

Die Leichen tanzen Rock'n Roll

Bei Nacht bei Nacht bei Nacht im Mondenschein!

What an absolutely gorgeous set! Kind of takes the edge off of me not getting the HP set for a while that I now finally have this mostly completely new score to explore!

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Where is that from?

Dunno, we learnt it in German class and of course loved it.

Here's a performance MM should remaster:

20 hours ago, Romão said:

I had to pay 31 extra euros in custom fees. This is ridiculous

Wow that is ridiculous. That amounts to more than the price of the actual album.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow.  How is that possible that customs tax is higher than the price of the item itself?

I ordered two copies, one for me, another for Miguel (we always order together to save on shipping costs), But still, it is a ridiculous amount

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Wow that is ridiculous. That amounts to more than the price of the actual album.

31 euros tax on a 70 euros order

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow.  How is that possible that customs tax is higher than the price of the item itself?

1) When calculating VAT and customs tax, the shipping cost is included (for whatever reason).

2) As already mentioned, handling fees. Fees for the customs office to process the package, and fees for the post service to collect the fees. I once paid €2 VAT for an order, plus €7 customs fees plus €7 post fees.

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

• 3 months later...

It is pretty fantastic isn't it. 

First thing I noticed with great satisfaction when listening to the new assembly of the complete score is the absence of the brass flub in the Main title and Storm sequence which always bothered me on the OST. Also I hoped it was just a defect on my old Varese OST album but alas this flub is faithfully repeated on disc 2 of this release as well so I fear this bit was either in the performance or the soundtrack album master tape from which the LP pressings of the score were sourced. 

Yes, it’s amazing! Very fulfilling!

I am simultaneously flipping through the liner notes and actually laughed out loud when I came upon this quote:

Puccini, Verdi, Berlioz all blew it. What a great subject for an opera.”

- John Badham

From the original 1979 Soundtrack Album

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t listened to this since I got it (some two weeks ago, yeah, I know, late but still...) thought I’d give it a go today, a nice calm Sunday.

Ended up listening to the Lockhart version of Night Journeys, and then turned it off halfway through.

Huh.

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Ended up listening to the Lockhart version of Night Journeys, and then turned it off halfway through.

I don't like that arrangement very much. JW's changes make it less menacing, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't like that arrangement very much. JW's changes make it less menacing, IMO.

It's not menacing, it's a gigolo with dentures.

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's not menacing, it's a gigolo with dentures.

Langella doesn't wear the teeth, actually.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Langella doesn't wear the teeth, actually.

FIXED.

It's not menacing, it's a gigolo with spray-net!

On 3/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, FrankV said:

Jim Titus' article about making the artwork:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/77779803/Dracula-(1979)

Glad he finally got around to updating his Behance page! Love those articles.

"The Dracula poster title treatment, shown above on the original soundtrack CD cover, was not found in the studio archives..."

WTF?!?

So Kate Nelligan's negligee must have been added to the original poster art after the fact.

"The scan of the poster artwork provided by Universal (below)..."

11712a77779803.5c92edf759201.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 3:46 PM, Jay said:

Of special note is that the film does NOT use the choir you can hear in the OST track, and the choir wasn't available on the stereo masters Mike used to rebuild disc 1, so you really want to make sure to listen to the Disc 2 version to hear Williams' full intentions including the choir.

Just curious: are you saying that the film version was supposed to have the choir, but that Mike simply wasn't able to locate the bit of recording that had it, for his Deluxe Edition rebuild? Or was the choir something that Williams only had for the OST version of the track? If Williams intended the choir to also be present in the film (before that bit was replaced with "The Love Scene"), then I'd imagine the OST version of "Night Journeys" is the more "correct" of the two versions, compositionally. Of course, when performed in concert it doesn't have the choir (like the Pops/Lockhart recording), but I always figured that was more out of practicality than because Williams had actually decided it was better without choir...?