DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

Interesting, thanks. I'll stick with the OST version for my go-to, then. There's always the superior-sounding Lockhart version for if I'd like to hear it without choir.

They messed a lot with the original CD, don't know how they managed to make it sound so awefull. Exactly the same situation with The Reivers.

Ah... 90s CD...

On 6/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, King Mark said:

yeah but overall it sounds a lot worse

How so? You can hear the horn triplets at 4:08 much better than the OST recording, the trumpet repeated notes starting at 4:33, etc.

• 1 month later...

So Scream Factory have announced a Blu-ray remaster of the original version of this film, with the correct colour timing (not the revisionist desaturated version Badham created in 1991, and is the only available version of the film ever since).

What are the odds of an isolated score track that might feature the unreleased source music? Complete breakdown of bonus features still TBA... releasing November this year.

What reason does anyone have to believe this blu ray would get an isolated score feature?  That's a pretty rare feature

Just now, rough cut said:

Hmmm... how well might the JW penned waltz, that wasn’t on the expansion, be heard in such a feature?

Well, in the film it's a 20 second segment in degraded quality, coming from a gramophone. Even if there is an iso score, don't hold your breath.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What reason does anyone have to believe this blu ray would get an isolated score feature?  That's a pretty rare feature

What reason did anyone have to expect this film would be released with its original colour timing, after years of Universal denying such requests and the director himself refusing anything except his desaturated version, claiming it was his "true vision" for the film?

Yet here we are.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now the opposite is true:

The UK site says "sold out": https://intl.varesesarabande.com/products/dracula-the-deluxe-edition

And the US site says "in stock, ready to ship": https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/dracula-the-deluxe-edition

About the packaging it's simply the best Varèse Sarabande expansion so far with a great Titus work.

As for the music it's an absolute gem from Williams 70's-80's less known scores but which desserve a much bigger attention. The restauration is wonderful on a Superman level.

An absolute must have for any John Williams lover or soundtrack collector.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:13 AM, GerateWohl said:

If you are rather the Heartbeebs type, this score might be not your cup of tea. But if you prefer Williams' neoclassical scores with full symphony orchestra, then this is definitely for you.

Is there a Heartbeeps type? :lol: If there is, I think it might be me! I’m a huge champion of Heartbeeps.  But I think Dracula is terrific too.  But you’re right, it’s quite the lush romantic sound.  Pairs nicely with The Fury, and oddly hints at some of the Cloud City tension music we would hear a year later in ESB. 

• 4 months later...

I wonder why they decided to crop Jan Francis' cleavage? And what wasn't cropped out was ”blurred out” by increasing the contrast so it's not as provocative.

A comparison between the final product and Jim Titus' own original scan of the poster shows that the latter is a bit more revealing.

Was it too sexual?

Final product -VS- Crop of Jim Titus' orginal scan of the poster

image.png

Source:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/77779803/Dracula-(1979)

Perhaps a gentle nudge from the studio? Cover art goes through multiple levels of approval at a studio level.

Amusingly, one version of the theatrical poster had a fake blouse composited over the top of her cleavage:

MV5BZTg3YmEwNjItZDdhYS00ODIzLTg5YzAtOGNh

It didn't only sneak it's way into theatrical posters - the "blouse version" is on the original issue LP I bought earlier this year. You can see it in just a few posts up.

The OST soundtrack issued on CD (also by Varèse) also had the blouse:

41P038QQYRL.jpg

I guess the deluxe soundtrack cover is a middle ground of sorts... sans blouse but also sans cleavage!

• 1 year later...