DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

i can't wait to hear the "foul things of the night" motif in good sound quality.. It was completely omitted from the OST Probably the best of all unreleased motifs

Do you have any idea which tracks might include it?

I hope the liner notes don't say. We added a lot of unused material but the master tape containing all variations of "foul things of the night" was destroyed in the fire

3 minutes ago, pete said:

no idea

23 minutes ago, pete said:

29 minutes ago, King Mark said:

i can't wait to hear the "foul things of the night" motif in good sound quality.. It was completely omitted from the OST Probably the best of all unreleased motifs

I haven't watched the film in almost ten years, but if I recall, one of the first places it pops up is at the dinner scene early on, with that shot of Dracula's feet descending the unfurling carriage steps. So maybe tracks 4 or 5?

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I haven't watched the film in almost ten years, but if I recall, one of the first places it pops up is at the dinner scene early on, with that shot of Dracula's feet descending the unfurling carriage steps. So maybe tracks 4 or 5?

Grave Trampling

Mike Matessino just confirmed on the FSM thread about incoming details on the DRACULA D.E. release :

And more details will likely start circulating Friday.

Which is great timing with the concert in London.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

One would think it was planned like that!

Yeah. They are also playing the End Titles from DRACULA in the Concert.

Does anyone know what are the Dracula cues have been played in a Williams related concert before? I think 'Night Journeys' is one.

True, I think it's Night Journeys I've seen in concert before, not End Credits, so that's one new piece for me!

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So what's so special about Varese's Club releases? Just an excuse to charge more money?

It's just what they call their archival expansions.  No different than what LLL or Intrada do, it's just that Varese does a lot more so they have to have a specific branding for the release type.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's just what they call their archival expansions.  No different than what LLL or Intrada do, it's just that Varese does a lot more so they have to have a specific branding for the release type.

OK, but I'm not sure they're labelling all their archive expansions as Club releases.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

OK, but I'm not sure they're labelling all their archive expansions as Club releases.

Certainly possible, but do you have specific examples?

Somehow I've made it to 34 without ever hearing a note from this score! The samples sound great. Very tempted to order...

59 minutes ago, Alan said:

Somehow I've made it to 34 without ever hearing a note from this score! The samples sound great. Very tempted to order...

You never typed in "Dracula John Williams" on YouTube? 

37 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You never typed in "Dracula John Williams" on YouTube? 

Nope! I was aware that Williams had composed a Dracula score but I'd never sought it out nor have I seen the film. Just not something that I've got around to doing.

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Nope! I was aware that Williams had composed a Dracula score but I'd never sought it out nor have I seen the film. Just not something that I've got around to doing.

Well, if you want to listen to John Williams's Dracula, here's a nice best-of compilation of the highlights. Enjoy! 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Certainly possible, but do you have specific examples?

Varese actually labels their archival expansions "Deluxe Editions" (they didn't always do this -- notice their expansion of Planet of the Apes has no Deluxe Edition label) -- lately these have all also been Varese Club releases, but in the past they also did Deluxe Editions as wide releases: from David Arnold's Stargate to Goldsmith's Total Recall, Poltergeist II, and three Omen scores (of course, the only score of that bunch to actually be 100% *complete* was Damien: Omen II).

And they also have released many premieres and reissues in their Club line as well -- witness Delerue's Show of Force in the latest batch. For some reason they opted not to expand that, so it's just a straight reissue (I guess often their "Encore Editions" are remastered, and sometimes split up tracks, but otherwise are the same music cues). It's been a while since they actually *premiered* a score in their Club series...I think the last one may have been Goldsmith's The List of Adrian Messenger which was over four years ago. But they used to do it all the time. Personally, Varese controls so many titles in perpetuity that only they can expand, that I'm perfectly happy for them to leave all the premieres to other labels who put out archival releases much more frequently, and focus their few Club slots every year on stuff they can release and nobody else can.

Yavar

So what's going on with all the the Love Scene variants?

1/13. Night Journeys (Film Version) 5:20
1/26. The Love Scene (Extended Version) 4:40
2/5. Night Journeys 5:12
2/6. The Love Scene 2:09

On 7/16/2018 at 3:36 PM, Jay said:

05 Night Journeys (5:12)

• 7M3 The Love Scene, including choir not heard in the film

06 The Love Scene (2:04)

• 7M3 Love Scene Revised, but only bars 42-end

Is Night Journeys (Film Version) the full Love Scene Revised and The Love Scene Extended the choir version AKA OST Night Journeys? Or another alternate?

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Is Night Journeys (Film Version) the full Love Scene Revised and The Love Scene Extended the choir version AKA OST Night Journeys? Or another alternate?

I know that "D2T6 The Love Scene" is just an excerpt of the alternate (the original being "D2T5 Night Journeys"). So I'd guess that "D1T26 The Love Scene (Extended Version)" is simply the full alternate.

"D1T13 Night Journeys (Film Version)" seems to be another alternate withou choir then.

On the topic of Dracula played live, Williams first dusted off the End Credits back in 2009, when Frank Langella was the guest host at Tanglewood. We still did the live chats back then, and it was fun seeing the older member's excitement at the revival of this score after decades of seemingly having been forgotten. 

53 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Let say I have this set and I want to play the best 20 minutes on my radio show.  Which TRACKS would YOU like to hear?

-Erik-

King Mark wants to hear the supposed greatest unreleased motif ever.

Just now, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

King Mark wants to hear the supposed greatest unreleased motif ever.

Well, if he can tell me what track that motif is in I'll play it! ;) 

-Erik-

4 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Let say I have this set and I want to play the best 20 minutes on my radio show.  Which TRACKS would YOU like to hear?

-Erik-

Hi Erik, I'm only familiar with the original album so some of the more distinctively different cues from the additional music would be great to hear in anticipation of my set arriving. Many thanks.