Hans Zimmer's THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: IT'S A WONDERFUL SPONGE (2020)

Cerebral Cortex

I'm not sure. It has been a while since you and I have had one of our signature one-on-one SpongeBob movie chats so I'm not sure how to effectively gauge your disinterest and assess whether or not it could possible increase. 

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Which basically means that Lorne Balfe's doing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Benjamin Wallfisch and Jacob Shea tag along. With Zimmer scores it's the more the merrier, right?

Here are some presumably correct album credits.

Credit goes to: Hans Zimmer

Music composed by: Benjamin Wallfisch, Lorne Balfe, Geoff Zanelli, Jacob Shea, David Flemming, and Klaus Badelt

Under the apparent supervision of: Hans Zimmer 

Organ Swells and Robust Brass by request of: Hans Zimmer

I am contractually obligated to post this meme whenever HZ comes up in conversation. I apologize in advance for it's overuse.

Hans Zimmer 2.jpg

Seriously though, this is quite possibly the worst composer/movie matchup in cinematic history. They should have just gotten Debney to do it, his score for the first one fit just fine.

4 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Not picky, is he? Either he's desperate for money or he's trying to out-Goldsmith Goldsmith.

Call me naive but I have always gotten the genuine sense that Hans doesn't follow the money especially now that he has no real need to.  There is some creative part of his brain that is tickled by some of these odd choices.  But he's got a decent animation rap sheet so it's not that much of a stretch.

Just now, TGP said:

Call me naive but I have always gotten the genuine sense that Hans doesn't follow the money especially now that he has no real need to.  There is some creative part of his brain that is tickled by some of these odd choices.  But he's got a decent animation rap sheet so it's not that much of a stretch.

I like his Lion King and The Simpsons Movie but never heard The Road to El Dorado or Madagascar.

There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about this choice though. I remember this Spongebob thing was all the rage about a decade ago and I was like "kids actually watch this shit? Prepare for a generational dip in IQ".

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

I've seen bits of it and it might actually not be awful, almost like a Ren & Stimpy where it's pretty over the head of its primary audience and actually kind of clever.

As someone who was its primary audience when it premiered, I can attest to this.

Then the show got so stupid that I had to walk out of the room when my younger siblings watched it. It was like Tim and Eric was written by peoplewho watched that and said, "Hey, I can do this weird wacky humor, too!"

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

I've seen bits of it and it might actually not be awful, almost like a Ren & Stimpy where it's pretty over the head of its primary audience and actually kind of clever.

Spongebob is fucking excellent  

I was pretty confused myself as to why this chap bothered to make a thread, as I don't think Spongebob fans populate this vicinity. 

Mildly disappointed myself as I liked the Debney score that came before. Ah well.

On SpongeBob: I used to watch it regularly before school, but naturally I grew apart from it and after the first film (which had a few good nuggets) I just never really caught up with it again. I can't even remember Sponge Out of Water.

Every now and then a meme will bring me back to watching a few clips on YouTube, or if I flick through the channels I might stumble across reruns of the early seasons, but that's about it. It's sad, but I think after all these years everything has its time and SpongeBob had it years ago - quite similar to Adventure Time which I adore but lost track of.

I'm surprised they bothered to mention Zimmer. It's not as though there was any excitement for Debney scoring Sponge Out of Water, was there? 

Besides me, of course. Especially since SOoW is basically a less noisy Cutthroat Island (and that's just dandy!).

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Why this deserves a separate thread is beyond me.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I was pretty confused myself as to why this chap bothered to make a thread, as I don't think Spongebob fans populate this vicinity. 

Having a thread on the forum with both "Hans Zimmer" and "SpongeBob movie" in the title amused me. Simple as that. We've had lamer justifications for separate threads in the past. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I just found out via a podcast that this film actually came out this past weekend, and played in theaters.  They changed the name to Sponge On The Run, though

There doesn't seem to be a score album available yet?

Hyrbrid off HZ's website suggests there might not even be an album, which I find unlikely considering the last SpongeBob movie had a score release. And Nick would be too stupid to not capitalize on Han Z's name fully. I suppose the virus and it getting such a crappy release (it'll be on HBO Max next year for us American peeps) killed whatever plans they had for a soundtrack.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Zimmer and Mazzaro's Spongebob score has been released.  I love it. Very campy, breezy, and fun. It is only 30 mins long and I actually like it more than The Boss Baby.

映画音楽サイト - The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run サウンドトラック (Steve Mazzaro,  Hans Zimmer) - Paramount Music (2021) - (Score)

1. Bikini Bottom
2. Opening Time
3. A Diabolical Plan
4. The Royal Poseidon
5. Roadtrip
6. Goner Gulch
7. El Diablo
8. The Secret Formula Is Mine
9. After Them!
10. Friends Like These
11. Gary’s Missing
12. His Name Is Fred
13. You’ve Got One Now
14. The Campy Award
15. Sandy’s Arrival
16. Where Is He?
17. Storming the Last City
18. The Secret to the Formula
19. To the Patty Mobile
20. The Defense

https://open.spotify.com/album/7ojjiN0aOkWA15XONyCnA7?si=NfLfk9dBRneiIv5GaSFzRg

https://music.apple.com/us/album/spongebob-movie-sponge-on-run-music-from-motion-picture/1562362117

12 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Zimmer and Mazzaro's Spongebob score has been released. 

Fixed.

Zimmer probably wrote one or two suites and then let Steve Mazzaro score the movie.

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed.

Zimmer probably wrote one or two suites and then let Steve Mazzaro score the movie.

I mean the score is 30 mins long. So if Zimmer wrote 2 suites, that like the entire score. He probably didn't do much spot scoring. You are probably right on that.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

He probably didn't do much spot scoring.

As far as I know, that has been his MO for animated movies, with the exception of The Lion King and maybe Prince of Egypts. He writes a theme, maybe a suite, but then he lets his co-composers fit what he wrote into the movie.

On the other hand, sometimes it's easy to identify what he actually wrote. For example, Zoosters Breakout from Madagascar and Oogway's theme from Kung Fu Panda are undeniably his.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

I mean the score is 30 mins long. So if Zimmer wrote 2 suites, that like the entire score. He probably didn't do much spot scoring. You are probably right on that.

Yeah, even movies like these remain too high profile for them to pull a MW2 style "themes by" credit with Zimmer, so I'm not surprised if this only was him giving Mazzaro some notes while doing another film.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

As far as I know, that has been his MO for animated movies, with the exception of The Lion King and maybe Prince of Egypts. He writes a theme, maybe a suite, but then he lets his co-composers fit what he wrote into the movie.

Heck, I think Henry Jackman or someone else on the Simpsons Movie fully admitted to needing to flesh out a theme idea Zimmer had in a suite in order to sell a producer on it. So that process has informed some scores, at the very least.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

On the other hand, sometimes it's easy to identify what he actually wrote. For example, Zoosters Breakout from Madagascar and Oogway's theme from Kung Fu Panda are undeniably his.

It's things like these that make trying to determine the exact extent of how much Zimmer involves himself in his projects a bit of a pointless endeavor. Too much of his voice tends to be heard in at least most of the scores of his that I've heard. So unless the RCP committee has gotten really good at adapting his mannerisms wholesale (a trait that easily disappears in their solo efforts), then I couldn't really tell you in a lot of cases where it being a group effort is that transparent on sound alone.

(Side note: attaching yourself to Boss Baby 2 when that could've easily been a SM solo credit does raise an eyebrow. I presume it might have to do with fulfilling a DWA quota every once and a while.)