The Justin Hurwitz Thread

Hurwitz Fan

First Man's score is marvelously effective in the film, but I won't be listening to it for months on end like I did my playlist combining the La La Land song soundtrack and score soundtrack.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:27 AM, Disco Stu said:

First Man's score is marvelously effective in the film, but I won't be listening to it for months on end like I did my playlist combining the La La Land song soundtrack and score soundtrack.

Fair.

The fact that he served as 'supervising producer' on the 9th season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" made me curious to go back and listen to his film scores last year. I'm a fan. La La Land is my favorite so far.

• 2 weeks later...

From his recent interview in Film Score Monthly:

KR: Anything we can look forward to next?

JH: I don’t know. I think Damien is going to take some time to figure out and maybe write his next movie, and I haven’t worked with another filmmaker yet, so I don’t know what I’m going to score next.

I wish he would work with a different director, it'd be interesting to hear.

• 3 years later...

Never been able to "get" Hurwitz. Haven't really cared for anything he's done. Nor Chazelle. Except maybe WHIPLASH, which was a good movie and a good, "idea-based" score rather than listenable.

But hey -- my door is always open. I never cared for Brittell either, untill SUCCESSION, which I loved. So it can happen.

28 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Wish he got hired onto other projects besides Chazelle, dude is talented and I loved his work La La Land and First Man.

I do too and I'm sure plenty would want to hire him, it seems more like he doesn't want to work with anyone else.

• 1 month later...

The only real Hurwitz news in literally years and it's just that he's suing his former agent.  Basically he thinks he wasn't getting the money he should have for the LTP concerts of La La Land, and that he was somehow denied the opportunity to conduct any of the concerts?  I dunno, it's all legalese stuff.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/wme-fraud-lawsuit-ari-emanuel-la-la-land-justin-hurwitz-1234906098/

On 24/11/2021 at 4:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

I do too and I'm sure plenty would want to hire him, it seems more like he doesn't want to work with anyone else.

Iirc in one interview he said that he would like to work with others. Guessing he just isn’t getting the opportunity. What a shame. 

I just find that hard to believe when he made such a big splash with his last two Chazelle films.  A film composer doesn't get that kind of recognition (and sales/streams) without getting offered work!  Maybe the offers that came didn't interest him.

Hollywood is a weird place.

Joe Kraemer made a bigger splash with MI5 than Hurwitz did with his Chazelle scores, and he isn't getting any juicy gigs either

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Joe Kraemer made a bigger splash with MI5 than Hurwitz did with his Chazelle scores, and he isn't getting any juicy gigs either

I guess measuring how big a "splash" is is completely subjective but... Hurwitz won two Oscars and the La La Land soundtrack album actually went gold so it's sold at least 500,000 copies in this day and age.  That's a much much bigger splash IMO.

It's the same reason Williams works seldom these days.

Hurwitz scores in his films definitely have a point of view and make their presence felt.

He isn't going to do modern suite scoring - write some 8-10 minute sound scapes that the editor then edits in as needed.

So there might be lesser demand for what his approach, more so than his product. Same thing with Williams.

Working with a proper composer is a good 6-8 month exercise to get the desired results and most Hollywood directors do not have the ability or patience to even do that anymore. 

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess measuring how a big a "splash" is is completely subjective but... Hurwitz won two Oscars and the La La Land soundtrack album actually went gold so it's sold at least 500,000 copies in this day and age.  That's a much much bigger splash IMO.

La La Land didn't even make much less at the box office than MI5 either ($450m vs $700m) considering one's an original musical and the other is a major franchise sequel. 

I feel like Kraemer really only made an impact on film score aficionados, sadly. I've never really seen any mention of his score outside of JWFan while Hurwitz got a lot more critical acclaim for La La Land and First Man. 

But still, you'd think getting the MI5 gig in the first place would have lead to more. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

La La Land didn't even make much less at the box office than MI5 either ($450m vs $700m) considering one's an original musical and the other is a major franchise sequel. 

I feel like Kraemer really only made an impact on film score aficionados, sadly. I've never really seen any mention of his score outside of JWFan while Hurwitz got a lot more critical acclaim for La La Land and First Man. 

But still, you'd think getting the MI5 gig in the first place would have lead to more. 

Think about this 1000 people saw MI5. 2 spoke about the music. 1000 people saw La La Land and 980 spoke about the music.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

A film composer doesn't get that kind of recognition (and sales/streams) without getting offered work! 

I have spoken to and read/watched interviews with Cinematographers and even Actors that have mentioned how unpredictable work is in Hollywood. Everyone is pretty much a freelancer, and despite successes plenty of people still have no idea if they'll ever work again after finishing a project. You'd be surprised. It's not hard to lose your footing in that industry from what I've heard.

The obvious exceptions are the absolute giant names like A-List actors and directors and in some cases the film composers (Zimmer, for example)

• 2 months later...