HARRY POTTER 1-3 Complete Score Releases Confirmed

Ricard

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Can't please everyone 😓

I don't mind: if it's slow, the cue doesn't end too soon :) 

2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I just chose a tempo that sounded best with the limited sampled instruments I have.

I want to try and do more mockups myself, I only did this one but I have to get better.

Used an oboe instead of a clarinet, and you can still feel the coldness of midi, but hey,

still a damn good JW tune! 

Dudley Dursley has a plum role in the new Coen Bros film, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  A very strange role, but he’s really great in it.  Playing opposite Liam Neeson, no less.  I didn’t even know he still acted.

47 minutes ago, King Mark said:

hey I got it. If these things aren't released on Black friday you can do the entire scores in moick ups

All good, sorry I was a bit cranky about it. I can be the forum's consolation prize if we don't get the scores this year 😂

11 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

All good, sorry I was a bit cranky about it. I can be the forum's consolation prize if we don't get the scores this year 😂

Yeah, you could make and sell an album, call it some crap like "The London Player's Orchestra Plays the Music of Harry Potter"!

14 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah, you could make and sell an album, call it some crap like "The London Player's Orchestra Plays the Music of Harry Potter"!

Haha unfortunately if you’ve been on Spotify you’ll hear a lot of poor mockups of scores with an ungodly amount of listeners. It’s depressing.

• 1 year later...

Despite the lack of memorable themes, I thought Hooper's music was underrated. The composer's logic is understandable. On the other hand, I hate Goblet of Fire score, so maybe my opinion is very weird.

UPD: I respect the music for the Goblet of Fire, I just think it's the least interesting of the entire franchise.

Debating the relative merits of the HP films, and the relative merits of their scores, is one of those tedious traditions that's somehow unavoidable. We all have our opinions on which are good and which are complete shit, myself included, but on the whole I'm a big fan of the films and scores. It would be nice if we could come up with a way to talk about them without having to debate their relative merits all the time. I'm not sure what that would look like, though. The Harry Potter Film Series Lovefest thread? The Harry Potter No Comparisons thread? A series of individual threads? It might just be a lost cause, something we're doomed to repeat until we die.

I like all non-Williams Potter scores (including JNH's for Fantastic Beasts)... except for Hooper's scores. I can't bring myself to like them. Order of the Phoenix sounds like a TV score, and while Half Blood Prince is more cinematic, it also ain't exactly very good.

They both sound like TV scores to me, but I've got to admit that I enjoy them more overall than GOF. Doyle's work sounds like a film score, but I have a hard time actually sitting through it. Something about his writing style wears on me after only a few tracks/cues. I enjoy it at first but then quickly it starts to come across as histrionic and overbearing. (His waltzes are exquisite, though.) Hooper's work on these films has a rather cheap, small sound to it, but I think some of the writing is really nicely evocative.

Hooper's sounded thin and TV-like to me since they came out, but somehow they feel more appropriate for the Potter world than Doyle's does. I find a lot of his score overbearing.

Hooper has a mixture of really inspired cues, and those which go absolutely nowhere.

This debate again, eh? It's not surprising that many find his work sounds like TV. That's where he came from, as did Yates. And tbh, Order of the Phoenix also feels like a made for TV movie a lot of the time when I watch it. 

I have no qualm with smaller sounding scores. In fact there are scores that sound far smaller that I enjoy immensely. Sure. They're small for Potter and what came before, but I honestly don't mind them. Now, I will say I don't particularly love most of Order of the Phoenix, but I also don't hate it. I did adore "Fireworks" in particular. One of my favorite cues from the series. But I actually really enjoy the score for Half-Blood Prince.

He doesn't work for some people, that's fine. I also like most of the Potter scores Williams or not so take that as you will. If I had to pick some that I like less than the others though... I typically skip Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I was surprised the other day that, when I listened to a GOF cue, a score I used to LOVE, the endless scales annoyed me after five seconds.

I have no problems with smaller orhcestras at all, but I do when it's the fifth score in a franchise.

It’s like opening a door to 2010 when reading over these comments.

The Weasley Stomp from Hooper is the one highlight for me.

Desplat & Doyle delivered many highlights.

39 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Are the Hooper sounding like TV comments only directed towards the size of the orchestra or are there any other factors?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it has more to do with the quality of the recording and mixing. It's far more noticeable on album than in the film. I don't mind a smaller ensemble.

And yes, @mahler3, there's definitely some time warp going on.