Details from Mike Matessino's London talk

Jurassic Shark

This was an interesting read. I’m unsure exactly what “preserving his life’s work” means. Is he open to more releases of his work or more apprehensive?

2 hours ago, Alex said:

This was an interesting read. I’m unsure exactly what “preserving his life’s work” means. Is he open to more releases of his work or more apprehensive?

Well, in simplest terms, it's about how are they going to move forward with his output. Obviously, Williams is not getting any younger. At some point he will pass away and he probably starts to think about his legacy. Giving away his library to Juilliard is one thing. But what to do with the recordings? These are important questions to ask yourself. Williams sort of always lives in the "now" of things but I'm sure he'd like his work to be preserved well. So yes, the gist of it was that he's more open to these expanded albums because of that. At least that is how I understand this.

@bollemanneke Jane Eyre has been mentioned in the context of Williams' time in London but I can't recall there being any talk about future releases. As for the reason he's in London? I don't know. Perhaps the same reason we visited or maybe he's also researching another project.

Karol

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Right. And dare I ask about Hook?

He was asked that. He wouldn't comment on the existing expansion but was clearly unhappy with it. He'd like to redo it one day.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

He was asked that. He wouldn't comment on the existing expansion but was clearly unhappy with it. He'd like to redo it one day.

Karol

Did he say anything about the quality of the 2018 SW OSTs?

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

How do you know that he was unhappy if he didn't want to elaborate?

14 minutes ago, davefg said:

"Nope. That is why even Jay was surprised to find it in the programme."

So what does that mean regarding the HP release? 

It means it was a secret, if it is indeed happening.

3 minutes ago, NL197 said:

If he didn’t know it was in the program then why were people saying he wrote it?

Didn't know what?

Karol

I'm confused. The title of the thread includes the word "details." I don't read a single detail here....

It's all speculation, rumour, conjecture, and wishful thinking. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Williams and Goldsmith were quite close friends. They held alternating annual holiday parties at their places, and would frequently sit down at the piano and play together at parties.

Though i assume that happened a long time ago. Remember Goldsmith's (in)famous quote about Previn, Willliams and Bernstein (Elmer) being snobs and starfuckers from before his death, an opinion probably solidified in later years when there was hardly any socializing apart from BMI dinners and such.

37 minutes ago, publicist said:

Though i assume that happened a long time ago. Remember Goldsmith's (in)famous quote about Previn, Willliams and Bernstein (Elmer) being snobs and starfuckers from before his death, an opinion probably solidified in later years when there was hardly any socializing apart from BMI dinners and such.

Yes, I did think about asking for a time frame, but thought it rude.

58 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

He also said that what we’re writing today (yes, even on JWFAN boards) will be a testament to any future student who will want to research and study what was said about the music of JW when he was alive in his era.

I was just about to mention that. Steef shot me an uneasy glance when Mike said that

2 hours ago, Jay said:

To clarify about Dracula, he said Universal Studios' documentation merely said the tapes were at an "undisclosed location". Mike knew that this would mean it was another Universal related property, as if they completely left Universal, it would be heavily documented and perhaps tracked down if not returned. But he realized a likely candidate was Universal Mastering, which Varese used for mastering frequently back around the timeframe that the mono rumors first started.

If I understood correctly, the confusion stems from the fact that Universal Mastering is as a company entirely unrelated to Universal Studios. But because of the same name, the tapes were not listed as being at another company, but rather just with "undisclosed location", implying that they should still be at the same Universal. Which is why it takes someone like Mike to figure out where they actually went.

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I was just about to mention that. Steef shot me an uneasy glance when Mike said that

Yes, Jesus Christ! Imagine people reading my bullshit 200 years from now.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So he went to Varese and found them and played them himself and voila, 1/2" stereo masters. 

Apologies if I got any details wrong, someone can correct me.

Why didn't Varese know they had the tapes since they produce the c.d.?

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

Why didn't Varese know they had the tapes since they produce the c.d.?

They produced the old CD a long time ago, presumably from album masters. But they requested the complete tapes only a couple of years ago with the intention of producing an expanded release, but decided against it when the box they received seemed to contain only mono tapes.