Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

19 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It's still the best era. As I've probably complained about here it bugs me that we got SEVEN SEASONS of Anakin Skywalker on Clone Wars. But we can't possibly have a show (live action / animated / whatever) set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back with Luke, Leia, and Han.

Consequences of drawing out something indefinitely that should have stayed in the eighties

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed that trailer more than the entire run of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

46 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Big open locations and not being confined to the volume makes a big difference 

I read somewhere that there was a hell of a lot of location shooting for this and none of that 3D-world background screen thingamajig they've been using on other shows. 

A lot of the real outdoor locations look very British, which is nice.

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh he absolutely can,just like she can too, I just hope Britell will be allowed to do a better job than Holt.

I expect there was much less interference from the studio on this one, generally, and for the music especially. Compared to the rest of the live-action universe, there's very little room here for reference to legacy music. I do hope that it stands up by itself, but I especially hope that Brittell was given enough allowances. 

I still find Brittell an interesting choice (not worried, just curious). I wonder if James Newton Howard was ever approached (for this or for any other Star Wars project), given his loyalty to both the Gilroys and the Kasdans.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But the tonality and the textures, the sound should be Star Wars.

Absolutely. This doesn't need to be a sycophantic exercise in nostalgia (something now, in retrospect, I wish Obi-Wan was more of), but the sound is crucial and one of the few things that needs grounding in this franchise.

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

I know it's a trailer, but the monologues and speeches are dishwater dull.  When did Star Wars get so bloody serious?  Would my 9 year old self like this??

Another prequel.  To a prequel.  Gotta split more hairs in the timeline I guess.  Isn't anyone brave enough to take us beyond Rey's timeline?

I pretty much still agree and these were my main thoughts... until I saw that unlike Boba and Obi it at least actually has some visual direction that could hold it together, that they finally made something that looks like something.

So excited for this. We'll see if they can still make it "fun". Yes, that's a main ingredient. I love Rogue One, but it was largely grim (except for K2.) But I love this setting and time period. I'm actually kind of interested in seeing the politics of the Senate under the Empire.

I've been thinking about what makes it "Star Wars". And I'm sorry, but The Empire and the Rebellion makes it Star Wars more than Jedi Knights do. It's kind of like saying "I'm tired of WWII fighter pilot movies. Can't we just move forward and make something after WWII?" I mean, you can. There's a lot of history after WWII. Top Gun was great. But if I want to watch Twelve O'Clock High it's no substitute.

But there are also a LOT of WWII stories to tell. They don't all have to line up with Skywalker and Kenobi.

Also there's the problem that whatever was going on in the Sequel Trilogy made less sense than any era of Star Wars. Yes, Palpatine's manufactured war made more sense than the "Resistance" and the First Order. Way more sense than whatever the heck Palpatine had in Rise of Skywalker.

As I will tell you until I am sore in the throat, why can't we see stuff set between Star Wars and Empire?

Good grief, how many Flash Gordon serials did they make? Did they ever try to "move past" Ming the Merciless?

Yes, Stagecraft is a production achievement certainly, but it’s limitations are beginning to noticeably show.  I hope going forward it becomes a problem solver, and not a go-to default. 

1977 - The rise of Palpatine was based on Richard Nixon and Watergate. Nobody knew.

2005 - The rise of Palpatine was based on George W. Bush and 9/11. Everybody knew.

If only there was some sort of maniacal dictator militarily engaging with other countries right now. Naw, Orange Man is easier.

Just now, Edmilson said:

The post above this one will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Perhaps. But the post above mine said "Andor Is Star Wars’ ‘Scurrilous Take On The Trumpian World,’ Says Fiona Shaw – Exclusive Image".

It was interesting visiting Galaxy's Edge a couple of months ago. Totalitarian forces commanding the population over loudspeakers to rat out insurgents just wasn't the laugh riot that it used to be.

Just now, Andy said:

Didn’t read the article but that is the most terrestrial looking Star Wars photo of Paul McCartney visiting his Nana. 

Let it be.

On 01/08/2022 at 9:06 PM, Andy said:

Yes, Stagecraft is a production achievement certainly, but it’s limitations are beginning to noticeably show.  I hope going forward it becomes a problem solver, and not a go-to default. 

interesting

Watched the trailer for Andor and what struck me the most is that this show seems to have a more adult tone. It might be even boring to 8-year-olds. Hardly any monsters or cuteness but more politics and warfare.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

They edited the trailer around the Ewoks. It’s mainly about them. 

We don't have a "spitting milk out my nose" emoji.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Correct. It’s a George Lucas dialect thing.  Some people pronounce Endor as “Andor”

And again.

I was listening to Rogue One this morning and thinking that while it has a "they all die at the end" ending (which manages not to be a downer) it's still fairly light and exciting with serious moments and story. Jyn is serious with a pretty dire backstory and front story. But the supporting cast are all wacky Dirty Dozen type misfits.

I'm assuming the show doesn't kill everyone (not looking good for Stellan Skarsgård, frankly). But either way there can be lots of chases, escapes, fencing, fighting, and miracles. You know, for kids!

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think he'll do the Indy 5 poster and that'll be it. Mangold's been courting him for years.

If he doesn't, I at least hope they retain the same illustrated style as the Struzan posters and avoid Photoshop nightmares like the Star Wars sequels.

I don't really associate Struzan as much with either Indy or Star Wars. He's done some great SW and Indy art but he didn't do any of my favorites. It's just that he's the one who is still alive and everyone knows his name. But yes, find someone who can draw / paint.

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I don't really associate Struzan as much with either Indy or Star Wars. He's done some great SW and Indy art but he didn't do any of my favorites. It's just that he's the one who is still alive and everyone knows his name. But yes, find someone who can draw / paint.

Interesting! I reckon the Struzan posters are synonymous with the iconography of the series, maybe except his Raiders poster (always preferred the Amsel over his):

FVGzwmCVIAUV2aF.jpg

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If he doesn't, I at least hope they retain the same illustrated style as the Struzan posters and avoid Photoshop nightmares like the Star Wars sequels.

Lets hope.

The only Indy poster that Struzan did that was everywhere (IIRC) was his Last Crusade. Amsel did the one sheet that was the novelization cover and the LP. He also did the alternate that was the cover for the DCC. Bruce Wolf's art was the main art that I saw for Temple of Doom (and was on the LP).

I  prefer Amsel over Struzan. Although I do like Struzan’s Temple of Doom art.  I appreciate his Raiders art, because it was back when he experimented more with airbrush.  Aside from the circus poster, his Star Wars posters leave me cold.  But I’d be very happy to see him back for Indy. (Just like I would if *ahem* Ben Burtt were to return)

I am not a fan of the sea of floating heads compositions that are popular now.

I’ve always preferred when an artist goes a little off the reservation so to speak, like Bob Peak and John Berkey.  The more painterly, the better.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I  prefer Amsel over Struzan. Although I do like Struzan’s Temple of Doom art.  I appreciate his Raiders art, because it was back when he experimented more with airbrush.  Aside from the circus poster, his Star Wars posters leave me cold.  But I’d be very happy to see him back for Indy. (Just like I would if *ahem* Ben Burtt were to return)

I am not a fan of the sea of floating heads compositions that are popular now.

I’ve always preferred when an artist goes a little off the reservation so to speak, like Bob Peak and John Berkey.  The more painterly, the better.

I know what you mean about the floating heads. I always thought one of the cool elements of the original Star Wars poster was the inclusion of the fleet of x-wings attacking the Death Star.

You don't see posters like Towering Inferno or the Thunderball posters with all of the underwater fighting.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Hamfisted and badly written as it may have been, that's the one thing i applaud George Lucas for, as in 'trying': he tried to balance the old and juvenile 'young hero emerges and fights bad guys mano-a-mano' crap with a peaceful democracies being corrupted by political scheming-angle, which is certainly a more grown-up thought.

We will see if Tony Gilroy finally gets this right, or if it's just cutting out the scheming parts.

Like in Rogue exchanging the magic knights for revolutionaries changes it a little more to one side and I have to admit that I like it in theory.

They are certainly interesting and compelling ideas with a long historical context. But making it "ripped from the headlines" diminishes the ideas. Especially if you're making the comparison between any current U.S. political situation (of any political stripe) and THE GALACTIC EMPIRE or LORD DARTH SIDIOUS. That lacks not only imagination but also awareness of... Everything?

OTOH, maybe that's just Shaw's interpretation of the script.

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

Like in Rogue exchanging the magic knights for revolutionaries changes it a little more to one side and I have to admit that I like it in theory.

That's Star Wars, right? In Star Wars the space wizards are a subplot. Otherwise it's all space battles and gun fights.

12 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

But making it "ripped from the headlines" diminishes the ideas. Especially if you're making the comparison between any current U.S. political situation (of any political stripe)

this is called "classic science-fiction" and honestly, typical of other genres of the fantastic kind too

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

That's Star Wars, right? In Star Wars the space wizards are a subplot. Otherwise it's all space battles and gun fights.

it's still aesthetically descended from a children's movie anyway, i think it's fine

That’s a fantastic trailer. Unfortunately, what looks like it could be a good series could potentially be ruined if they try to inject too much allegory to contemporary politics into it.

You mean the disney show about fascism (wow what a thought actually) has nominally fascism in it? I doubt it'll go beyond "look they have some vaguely fascist aesthetics".  Which is a narrative problem at this point in SW but people are used to it.

I don't know. I don't really like allegory at all. I just like when the stuff is put to the screen, no matter the amount of kicking and screaming in the audience.

More themes, less allegory.

Disney Star Wars is awfully bad at that political aspect of Star Wars. The first order was „bad“ by label and was just introduced as a pure military organization with no agenda for the galaxy. All administration seemed to be in the hands of the new republic, which was just blown to bits in episode 7. There are just leaders with armies and weapons coming out of nowhere, ready to fight. There is more political realism in Lego Ninjago than in Disney Star Wars.

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Disney Star Wars is awfully bad at that political aspect of Star Wars. The first order was „bad“ by label and was just introduced as a pure military organization with no agenda for the galaxy. All administration seemed to be in the hands of the new republic, which was just blown to bits in episode 7. There are just leaders with armies and weapons coming out of nowhere, ready to fight. There is more political realism in Lego Ninjago than in Disney Star Wars.

I don't know why people keep going on about "Disney Star Wars". It's not a monolith.

Rian Johnson is different from JJ Abrams, and they're both different from the creative team behind The Mandalorian.

This is being made by Tony Gilroy, who did Michael Clayton. I guarantee you he's going to handle the political aspect of Star Wars better than ANYONE has ever done before...particularly George Lucas, lol. I agree the First Order/Resistance stuff in the sequel trilogy was a dumb setup and absolutely the wrong approach (blame JJ), but there's no reason to think the politics will be handled as clumsily in Andor, which has a completely different vision and creative team.

Yavar

I don't remember Rogue One well so maybe I'm wrong, but there's this bit like "we can't talk to Saw Guerrera, he's too radical" and I thought "but radical about what, what is going on??", and then it turns out into some setup for nothing. Also if they don't get along why not keep him in the group for later. Then again it's probably some "movie constraint" issue (they already had to shorten the entire climax because it didn't fit, turning the library and the antenna into the same location)