Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

it'd made sense if he had like, pre-paid for months of the room or something, but there was another occupant sleeping there?  What was that all about?  Did they turn over his room and rent it to someone else, but left all his belongings in the safe?  How does that work?

He had hid is locked case on top of the shower, a place even hotel cleaning droids are unlikely to look in a given span of time.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He had hid is locked case on top of the shower, a place even hotel cleaning droids are unlikely to look in a given span of time.

Was that stated in dialogue somewhere or are you guessing?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

people complaining about a lack of aliens in Andor

Wait, have people actually complaining about this?

Here on JWFan, or on the internet as a whole?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wait, have people actually complaining about this?

Here on JWFan, or on the internet as a whole?

My only answer is “somewhere” - it would be either here or Twitter.

On 26/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, Andy said:

Somehow the people in charge of Wars and Trek act like it's a major chore to make fun aliens and people in colorful masks or makeup.

On 27/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, GerateWohl said:

Saw this week's episode today. Now, what is the explanation why there are no aliens in this prison?

On 25/10/2022 at 2:10 PM, GerateWohl said:

In the last episode on Corruscant I found it especially irritating at the party that there were no aliens (except one) as on Corruscant there were always lots of aliens. The alien rate is definitely too low in this show for my taste.

On 31/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, Datameister said:

But yeah, the vanishingly small number of aliens does get distracting. It makes some sense in terms of tone. But it's one of the few ways this feels less like Star Wars through another lens and more like an entirely different space fantasy..

Just a few examples.  The alien thing doesn’t bother me, not only because who cares? but also the original Star Wars was not overloaded with aliens?  Basically once they leave Mos Eisley, it’s humans all the way down - including the rebel base.

5 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Or in Facebook groups.

I’m not on Facebook (and actually haven’t been on Twitter for a good while as well) so it makes sense that here is where I saw it.

It would never occur to me to ponder on the lack of aliens in a Star Wars production.  Every different production should feel free to use whatever amounts of humans and non-humans they feel like

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

@GerateWohl is the person on JWFan I've seen bringing it up the most, but there are some others.

As I said before, for me it is an important part of the world building, that I miss here heavily.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

People will complain about anything

That's true for sure. But I was referring to why many people say, this show "doesn't feel like Star Wars" and I think, the alien point is valid.

I don't want every Star Wars production to feel exactly the same.  I like the different moods we've gotten so far

Mando and Boba are like a high production values version of those 80s and 90s cartoons they'd make to sell action figures

Obi-Wan was back in the prequel space

Andor is the first Star Wars thing I've seen that feels like its for adults without putting in anything at all to keep children interested, and finally gets into the actual politics of trying to run a galaxy one way, and group of rebels who think it should be run a different way

Agreed.  I respect the world building and character development, even if the style is not my cup of tea.    I'm just missing imaginative creature design.  But it's cool.  I'm a little weird when it comes to Star Wars.

This show has so much in it that is high quality. The dialogue, acting, cinematography, story....all beautifully done. 

Genevieve O'Reilly and Stellan Skarsgård are my favorites in this. 

Excited to see how it all comes together at the end of Season 1. 

I hope poor Bix is mentally okay, seems like she might have suffered real damage at the hands of that Imperial doctor :(

I kind of got the impression that now that the Imps believe Blix's intel implicitly that she was going to rat out the guy they showed her the hologram of and leave Luthen in the clear. If there is that much of her left.

Yeah, being friends with Cassian doesn't really pay off for anybody.

I've only seen Rogue One once and don't remember any specific details about it

Are Andor, Saw and Mothma the only people in both this show and that movie so far?

Has the show referred to any film characters that haven't been seen in the show yet, or did the film refer to any characters that weren't shown on screen, but now have debuted in the show?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Are Andor, Saw and Mothma the only people in both this show and that movie so far?

Nope! 

Melshi! The prisoner in Andor's team who jumps with him becomes a Rebel commando sent to Scarif with R1. 

Yep!

Probably not a character you’d remember, but he joins Rogue One on their final expedition.  He is part of the team trying to shut down…whatever it is?? that the blind guy and his sidekick are trying to shut down in that clearing, and is gunned down before those main characters eat it.

None at this point that I clocked, unless you also count some familiar-looking members of Saw’s entourage (the Tubes guy).

Edit - oh! The one stuffy imperial ISB agent in white is supposed to be Yularen, who was the stuffy imperial guy in white in the boardroom in A New Hope 

5 hours ago, Miz said:
I love how the Fondor became a ship with character, and took on the Star Wars trope of a plucky smaller ship outwitting a large Imperial one... and with such creativity. But that's not what this is about. The subtle ways authoritarianism shifts society (Mothma's daughter), the way these downtrodden heroes have their hands forced, the corners the Empire puts them into, the tragedy of their separation and distrust of each other, the anticipation of how they might unite, the prequel-benefit of knowing that they're going to rise up. It's all delicious. Finally, Star Wars for grown-ups.

Very well said. It's really going to be tough to wait for S2. For me, this show has really been the biggest (good) surprise in Disney's Star Wars ventures.

One thing I was reflecting on: When I saw the OT as a kid, the sillier aspects were almost completely lost on me. This was a serious story of grown-ups fighting deadly battles in a super cool imagined universe, with some sophisticated humor thrown into the mix. I loved it. (I still do, but when I try to look objectively as an adult, I can see that they're fundamentally campy kids' movies.)

In some ways, Andor is kinda delivering the same sorts of feelings the OT did, but translated for my adult brain. It feels about as serious now as the OT felt when I was a kid.

It's so weird being caught up now.  Kind of annoying actually, since I saw the first 11 episode over a period of maybe 6 days or something, and now I will have almost a week's gap before just the final one.  Bah!

The thing is, I would have started it sooner, but the buzz from the initial batch of episodes was so tempered I didn't feel much of a push to try it out.  This is why most shows have an exciting first episode!  In the end, it doesn't matter much to me personally that they did things the way they did because I like the show a lot, but it would have been nice to have started sooner and spent more time pondering on the show and discussing each episode for a week.  Oh well

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's so weird being caught up now.  Kind of annoying actually, since I saw the first 11 episode over a period of maybe 6 days or something, and now I will have almost a week's gap before just the final one.  Bah!

Isn't the finale in like two days?

I’m not being sarcastic when I say I’d rather watch the 1975 parody show posted above.  The disco version is the best Brittel’s theme has sounded. 

4 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Isn't the finale in like two days?

... yes?

I watched episode 11 last Thursday, and episode 12 airs this Wednesday, which is almost a week later, which is exactly what I said

Andor made me rewatch Rogue One and appreciate it more. But as much as I find Brittel's score efficient but uninteresting outside the show, Giacchino's one is the perfect example of overscoring.

It's so heavy handed and over the top. It feels, for the most part, really carricatural and distracting. Like every track wants to be an emotional peak and it clearly doesn't match what I'm looking at.

The funny thing is I'd probably not feel this way if Andor didn't exist.

And I should add that I like listening to Giacchino's score on its own.