Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

Wow, just wow. Not a lot of payoffs and a lot of unanswered questions (who the hell won?), but the main journey of Cassian becoming a rebel is complete. Hearing Nemik's manifesto was awesome (as was Maarva's speech) and how it parallel with Ferrix's uprising was perfect.

B2 with one line made me choke up a little, as soon as that imperial officer pushed him I wanted him dead! Dedra and Syrril having that moment was completely unexpected. Once again, without those 'boring' first two episodes this wouldn't work as well.

Super excited for Season 2! At least Willow will fill that Wednesday void that this series will leave behind.

I really loved the post-credit payoff! It resolved a small issue I had with the prison chapter. This is brilliant!

What a great finale indeed!

It's so rare to get that level of quality writing in TV shows these days. Everything feels like it has been thought out ahead of making the show. I love that!

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I was terrified for my friend The Bell Ringer

Not just me, then.

Spoiler

When Syril spots the bomb and springs into action... Wow. It was so HEROIC. He's on the wrong side but... I figure that's the whole point.

4 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Once again, without those 'boring' first two episodes this wouldn't work as well.

Damn skippy.

1 minute ago, Steffromuk said:

I really loved the post-credit payoff! It resolved a small issue I had with the prison chapter. This is brilliant!

It felt a little obvious. And this show doesn't do a lot of obvious. But it is what it is.

Although that said: The Manifesto becoming a callback in a later episode was fairly well telegraphed. And it paid off in spades! One of the most moving things was that Luthen was moved by it.

Wow, what a finale!

It’s funny, before sitting down to watch it I was thinking about what they would do and I had a very vivid idea of a montage with VO of Nemik’s manifesto over it and how powerful that would be - and they did it!

There was something really quite gut wrenchingly tragic about the funeral music, it had the same feeling of generational grief as Prayer For Peace in Godzilla: 

I got massive chills from the after credits scene, this show has rehabilitated the intimidation of The Empire as an oppressive terrifying government and so the ultimate tool of that just hits different. Hope this means that we’re going to start seeing some of Krennic and Galen, their backstories as detailed in the novels would fit very well with this show 

6 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Hope this means that we’re going to start seeing some of Krennic and Galen, their backstories as detailed in the novels would fit very well with this show 

It never occurred to me that we might see those characters in this show, but it makes perfect sense. Both actors did an excellent job in Rogue One I thought. 

It's funny. The only legacy characters that I want to see are Bail and Leia Organa because of the connection to the Senate, the Rebellion, as well as Rogue One. Mayyyyyybe Dodonna. I wouldn't say no to Rebels characters but I'm also not sure I'd say yes.

I've been unhappy with every non-animated appearance of Palpatine. I'm OK with him being who he was in Star Wars: A name only mentioned.

Man, without Obi-Wan Kenobi I would be totally open to something with Vader. But OWK has fouled the waters somewhat.

One of the joys of this show has been that it makes Star Wars look 100% REAL. (Rogue One did the same.)

Spoiler

But that Death Star reveal looked really cartoon-y. The problem was a matter of scale. They didn't have the time to move the hundreds of kilometers with any speed that wasn't CG silliness. With more time they could have made it feel like you're moving through a techno-Grand Canyon. Or even bigger actually. IMHO of course.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Man, without Obi-Wan Kenobi I would be totally open to something with Vader. But OWK has fouled the waters somewhat.

Reveal hidden contents

Vader was fine in Obi-Wan, imo. It was really only some of the other characters that brought the show down.

So... What happened to Cassian's search for his sister? Was he still searching for her on Space Florida? What cause did he have to think she was where he was looking in the first episode when this whole kerfuffle started?

56 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

So... What happened to Cassian's search for his sister? Was he still searching for her on Space Florida? What cause did he have to think she was where he was looking in the first episode when this whole kerfuffle started?

Maarva said it was of no use in episode 7. What lead him to the brothel we don't know, but it looked like he was at the right spot. He wasn't looking for her in Niamos, there he was just escaping (and it seems he was there for a while before getting arrested, seems to indicate that the Empire showed up there out of the blue). I believe we'll still get to this in Season 2, if I recall there was a shot in the trailers of clone troopers in Kenari that wasn't in the show so far.

3 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Maarva said it was of no use in episode 7. What lead him to the brothel we don't know, but it looked like he was at the right spot. He wasn't looking for her in Niamos, there he was just escaping (and it seems he was there for a while before getting arrested, seems to indicate that the Empire showed up there out of the blue). I believe we'll still get to this in Season 2, if I recall there was a shot in the trailers of clone troopers in Kenari that wasn't in the show so far.

Maybe you're thinking of the shot of the clone troopers on Ferrix? Which was in the show.

Andor 1x12 Rix Road

Well, that was good!  It wasn't exciting as the escape from 3, the heist from 6, or the prison escape from 10 - but that doesn't mean it wasn't satisfying, because it definitely was!

It was satisfying to have all the major characters all converge in the same location, and they had done the groundwork to make it logical that they would all be there.  I was happy that Cassian was able to save Bix, though I wonder if she'll ever be the same.  Karn saving Meero was a weird moment!  I felt like they were gonna kiss or something.  I was a little surprised when we never saw them again in the episode after that scene.

I was slightly confused by the scenes with Mon Mothma and her husband - I thought the argument with her husband in the car was staged, like they came up with a plan off-screen to blame the missing money on a gambling problem her husband had (which means he's part of the rebellion after all?)  but then, their daughter got with the money dude's son anyway so... ???

Man, I still find it ruthless that Luthen wanted Andor dead just to protect himself, even after her proved himself so well as part of the heist.  I had been kind of hoping that his assistant told Vel and Cinta to kill him because she was trying to protect Luthen, but he wasn't in on the hit... but I guess not.  Damn.  At least at the end, he seems to have changed his mind!

One great thing this show can do that most other Star Wars media can't is write these big monologues and have great actors deliver them and have the scene be completely captivating.  Skarsgård had moments like that throughout the season but then DAMN!  Fiona Shaw completely killed it this week, as a hologram no less.  I really like that her words not only spurned the rebellious skirmish on Ferrix, but also seemed to instill something in Andor himself - combined with Nemik's manifesto, which all build beautifully toward the final moment.

A fine season!

Oh, and the reveal that the parts they were building was part of the Death Star was pretty neat!  BUT!!!!   That shot was WAY too short.  To really show the sense of scale, it would have been so much better if the scene started as it is before the end credits rolled, then the end credits rolled as the camera panned out, only revealing the Death Star as the credits finished some 3 minutes later.  I know it'd be an expensive CGI shot, but it'd get the scale across!

This episode suffers from extensive editing that removed some key details. 

How did Cassian get from the spaceport to Luthen's ship before Luthen? How did he know when to leave? How did he know which direction to travel in, other than assuming the Fondor was parked in the same place as Episode 3. He needed to time to hack the ship's interface. 

We saw too much of the green shirt guy building his bomb but not enough of other key scenes. 

I expected Dedra to either kiss Karn or stab him. 

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

To really show the sense of scale, it would have been so much better if. .. it'd get the scale across!

Anybody who's ever seen Star Wars has no problem understanding the scale of the Death Star. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I was slightly confused by the scenes with Mon Mothma and her husband - I thought the argument with her husband in the car was staged, like they came up with a plan off-screen to blame the missing money on a gambling problem her husband had (which means he's part of the rebellion after all?)  but then, their daughter got with the money dude's son anyway so... ???

I didn't get it at first, but reading some reactions online, I think it makes sense to assume that Mon just threw her husband under the (space) bus, to save her operation. With that and giving away her daughter, she's about to sacrifice as much as Luthen has.

Being curious, I watched the first episode yesterday. I must say this was not enough to got me hooked.

There's a lot of DON'T in this Episode. How to define a "Star Wars"? Firstly, there must be puppets and silly robots. CHECK. But a robot that stutter... really, I don't understand. The puppets/alien characters are here, CGI ones for the most part... and like usual, the human people try to look at them in the eyes when speaking to them... always giving surreal moments... Anyway...

The "extras" (people who appear in background) disturbed me in many scenes.... by their over-playing, by the way they look... extras are not supposed to draw attention. Background sets looked cheap too... sometimes too real (bricks in Star Wars... really?), sometimes too CGI to look real.

Next this "officer" who'll investigate the death of two of his colleagues... In a disturbing scene where he stands on his feet, like a soldier, straight as a bar, not moving at all, we can observe that despite having very large shoulders, the lower part of his body looks very feminine by the way he stands. This actor is weird... but I think it's wanted. During all this very strange scene I had only one image in my head: Special Agent Dale Cooper, played by Kyle MacLachlan in Twin Peaks.

It was enough for me... I was not in a Star Wars anymore, I was in another thing. Then the flashbacks of little Cassian... it killed me. I HATE recurrent flashbacks.

If you watch episodes 1-3 at once (it only takes 100 minutes if you skip the previously ons and logos and credits) it feels morel Iike a proper pilot episode that has an inciting incident and sets everything up. 

Episode 1 on its own doesn't do that

Jay is right. It will suck you in narratively. However the shortcomings in aliens, droids, and SW style whimsy is consistent throughout the 12 episodes.   It’s on purpose, so as not to be distracting to the adult storytelling.  But yeah there are some very Earth centric things that are on screen, such as one character armed with an almost completely unmodified assault rifle.  

It was not for me, but it might be for you, so give it a try. Lots of people really enjoyed it. 

Forgot about coming here to give my little thoughts.

I think this is up there with Rebels as probably the best in the SWU for me. The score (I know a lot of people here aren't fans of it) actually is incredible to me. Me and my mum keep putting it on while we do House Work and I find myself listening to it randomly. So SO good.

Obviously, acting, writing, directing is all top notch as well. Really excited for S2. I think this show has the only time I've ever teared up at Star Wars!

Well, she was part of the Ferrix Book Club or whatever in the Daughters of Ferrix episode.  But I recall that was the episode of her passing.  So there was a shift in the portrayal of her community role. 

I think I may actually rewatch the whole season at some point here. I feel like there were some connections that I missed. I totally didn't get the deception of the gambling thing. Actually, that's not the first time I've misunderstood a show in which a character lies strategically because they know there's someone listening—Breaking Bad comes to mind. Then again, I watched the finale on a plane, which probably didn't help.

That said, it's still an amazing first season. This and Mando S1 are definitely the most unequivocal successes of Disney Star Wars. (And the Rise of the Resistance ride.)

3 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

I feel like I missed something about Maarva. Until this episode she was a reclusive paranoid hermit, now she's someone so beloved that the entire town comes out to hold a parade for her. That seems a little unearned.

It had been dropped a few times that she was at least connected to the community. You also see that she was something of a rascal when she was younger.

I think even the show’s most ardent supporters would agree the show lacks a hook to pull viewers in from the start.  Just about everyone walks anway from the first two episodes saying “Hmmmm… interesting. “. Even after the 1-3 story arc, it’s a soft start and a slow burn. 

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Aunt Petunia! I'm only at episode 2... and I still trying very hard to get interested by a Star Wars story involving no well-known character... or a Jedi... or a Sith... :lol:

This attitude is the exact reason why Star Wars has stagnated, ugh

9 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

I feel like I missed something about Maarva. Until this episode she was a reclusive paranoid hermit, now she's someone so beloved that the entire town comes out to hold a parade for her. That seems a little unearned.

As well as being part of this respected group known as the Daughters of Ferrix, I think it also shows how much respect Ferrix has for its elders and how important someone who has been a member of the community for a *long* time is. There’s a strong sense of community in that place and as a result the death of a member is quite significant because of the close bonds that form in the tight-knit social network. I believe that’s what scenes like the ship-dealer giving his condolences to Cassian indicated, that’s just how far connections reach in this place

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It had been dropped a few times that she was at least connected to the community. You also see that she was something of a rascal when she was younger.

Sure, it just caught me a bit off guard. They didn't really build her up that much prior to this episode.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Aunt Petunia! I'm only at episode 2... and I still trying very hard to get interested by a Star Wars story involving no well-known character... or a Jedi... or a Sith... :lol:

I'm always a little baffled by this. I didn't want more Jedi stuff even when I saw The Empire Strikes Back! In Star Wars the Force stuff was a subplot.

There are a ton of Imperials. And even some Rebels. Does that help?

I admit, I was not a hard sell for this show. It turned out to give me exactly what I wanted and then it gave me stuff I never even knew that I did. So I was patient. Even when it wasn't grabbing me by the eyeballs it was showing me a world I wanted to see and telling a story I wanted to hear. And then it DID start grabbing me by the eyeballs.

My brother, OTOH, was Star Warsed out after Boba. He didn't even make it through Obi-Wan. Then I finally got him to watch this. After he then binged 11 episodes (the next day) he said THIS was the Star Wars he had been waiting for.

Well, I’m probably the only other guy in this chat that didn’t really enjoy it, but I still watched it and will watch season 2, because I adore Star Wars.  This wasn’t made for me, and I had to make peace with that. I respect that it’s well made and acted. It is really dense and complex.   I won’t be watching it again, but I respect what they were going for.

For me, it’s not BAD, it just isn’t a good time. The thrills and good humor I’ve come to associate with SW are not here.  It’s light on action and charm, and heavy on… drama, I guess.   I sort of feel like it was one of the Expanded Universe novels acted out live.   Slow, granular, meticulous.   So you can get into it, but I wasn’t shouting woooo awesome and punching the air for the good guys. 

You should watch it if you’re a fan of Star Wars.   Doesn’t mean you have to like it, but it would be a mistake to ignore it. 

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

I sort of feel like it was one of the Expanded Universe novels acted out live.   Slow, granular, meticulous.   So you can get into it, but I wasn’t shouting woooo awesome and punching the air for the good guys. 

Hey now, Not all the EU novels were Stackpole and Zahn y'know.

Or the Blah Fleet Crisis

;)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

People are basically says: That's Star Wars for people who don't love Star Wars!

Yes, great, cool!

But I love Star Wars, so what do I do? :lol:

Who on earth is saying that? This show appeals to both hardcore fans and people who never got into Star Wars

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

People are basically says: That's Star Wars for people who don't love Star Wars!

How so? I happen to think that it's VERY Star Wars. This is less funny than Star Wars. Return of the Jedi was more "funny" than Star Wars. They visit Tatooine (and deserts in general) less than most Star Wars.

Finally got around to finishing episode 12.  The first Star Wars show that I can fully call "good" and maybe even the best Disney SW property.  It feels like an adaptation of a SW EU novel, which sounds like a bad thing but works incredibly well onscreen here.  

After a slew of cheap looking Volume-shot shows, it's great to see something with cinematography and real sets. 

The score does everything it needs to.  It may seem pretty perfunctory but having an "invisible score" is by far the best approach for this.  

On 27/11/2022 at 12:05 AM, Bespin said:

Aunt Petunia! I'm only at episode 2... and I still trying very hard to get interested by a Star Wars story involving no well-known character... or a Jedi... or a Sith... that's so darn boring.

I'm happy a lot of people are enjoying this. I'm just a bit sad that I'm not one of them as I was really looking forward to this show.

Do we think S2 will follow the same tack or will they strike out in a new direction? I'm guessing the former.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'm on Episode 3 since 3 days... how could a 30 minute episode could be so long! :P

Well... Good news, the show moves in a different direction next episode. Bad news is that it slows back down (being the beginning of a new arc). Good news is that it gets a bit more action and more explicitly Rebels vs. Empire.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do we think S2 will follow the same tack or will they strike out in a new direction? I'm guessing the former.

In some ways a new direction. Very much so, from what I understand.