Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

Oh, I'm probably going to wade into stupid right here.

How many people knew that it looked like an IRA funeral if they weren't told it in the interview? I didn't. But I don't know anything about the IRA other than in the broadest headlines from my childhood. Surely there are people who are closer to the subject that will have different feelings.

If there's anyone here with feelings on this I would be fascinated to know.

As someone born in Belfast in the early Seventies and who still lives there, it seems like an ... odd source of inspiration, to say the least. 

Still, a joke I made on FB in the comments on the article ('Darth Vader has strenuously denied he was ever in the Empire'), parodying an oft-repeated claim made by Gerry Adams has gone down well (153 likes/lol reactions so far).  

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It sounds bit odd, agreed, but I wouldn't read too much into it beyond being the superficial reference.

Karol

Agreed but I can definitely see how the style of such events impacted Andor. The drums and music, the distinctive coloured clothing, the slow march through the town centre. I am sure there are plenty of other cultures and places where similar marches take place but obviously you draw on those most immediately from your experience even if it’s just through the tv. 

• 3 months later...

Season 2 will not premiere until August 2024

“We started shooting in November. We’re halfway [through production],” creator Tony Gilroy announced before revealing the Andor Season 2 release date window. “We will finish shooting in August, a year on post, and we’ll come out in the following August.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1279718-andor-season-2-release-date-window

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have some reason to suspect that the writer’s strike will never end?

10 hours ago, Andy said:

No worries. Chat GPT will polish it up. 

Funnily enough, one demand from the guild contract being shot down is a clause that studios will never use AI for creative:

IMG_2319.png

According to Gilroy at least, they weren't rushed to be done before the strike, they just happened to get done just being the strike coincidentally

Two days ago not because of the strike, but because our thing rhymed with the strike, I finished the last script of the twenty-four. We started three and a half years ago. It'll be five years by the time we're done to finish.

https://outerrimnews.com/watching/tony-gilroy-andor-2-scripts-finished-before-wga-strike/

I just remember the stories about Star Trek 2009 where they had a script but when they were filming they couldn't change the things they knew that needed to be changed because of the strike.

The last WGA strike ran from Nov 5 2007 -> Feb 12 2008, and ST09 was filmed from Nov 7 2007 -> Mar 27 2008.  So by the end they could get re-writes from WGA writers but yeah, for most of filming they could not.

Quantum of Solace famously had the same issue

Especially since it's Star Wars (and because Andor was so good and we can't have nice things): I have a bad feeling about this.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...