Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

What, from 2018? That was pre-Mando!

We must have faith in live action Star Wars on Disney+ now!

Until they let us down of course :P

(We don't talk about the letdown to Boba)

21 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I personnaly feel less confident in SW show since Mando S2 and Boba but I always liked that character so I'll definitly be watching it (plus it's not part of the Mando narative)

Same here. After watching recently interesting franchise spin-off shows like Picard or Moon Knight I wonder why Lucasfilm is not capable of creating something like this, but seems to be stuck in some kind of self-repeating fan service loop.

Right now my main concern for this show (if it's ok for this thread to function as both show and score discussion), is that Andor's character arc will be too depressing and that the only way to make it not incredibly depressing is to negate his character arc in Rogue One, which is one of my favorite aspects of that movie.

I think you’re probably predicting what his character arc trajectory will be.  Maybe the series will show a more naive revolutionary who would never kill at the start, and then take us through the events that change him.   It won’t negate his character, but as SW prequels love to do, fill in his motivations. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think you’re probably predicting what his character arc trajectory will be.  Maybe the series will show a more naive revolutionary who would never kill at the start, and then take us through the events that change him.   It won’t negate his character, but as SW prequels love to do, fill in his motivations. 

That's what I mean, a Star Wars show where the arc is from naive idealist to downtrodden amoral cynic just sounds so depressing.  But hey the arc of the prequel trilogy is pretty depressing too :lol:.  I'm excited for the show no matter what.

I like that we're now getting two D+ shows in the ROTS-ANH gap after 3 seasons in the post-ROTJ Mandoverse.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That's what I mean, a Star Wars show where the arc is from naive idealist to downtrodden amoral cynic just sounds so depressing. 

rian-johnson-happy-1.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Another Vanity Fair article that dives deeper into Andor specifically.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/andor-star-wars-series-diego-luna

Read the whole article and don't wait for BS aggregation sites to make 30 news stories from this one piece.

I think there's a good chance that by the end of this season we will have had the first live-action scenes set on Coruscant of the Disney era (outside of brief flashbacks in Rogue One).

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Another Vanity Fair article that dives deeper into Andor specifically.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/andor-star-wars-series-diego-luna

Read the whole article and don't wait for BS aggregation sites to make 30 news stories from this one piece.

I think there's a good chance that by the end of this season we will have had the first live-action scenes set on Coruscant of the Disney era (outside of brief flashbacks in Rogue One).

This sounds surprisingly competent, I have a funny feeling out of all the Star Wars shows, including the ones with the big headliners, this is going to end up being the best

That series looks like a prequel to Rogue One, precisely it is set right between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rogue One.

My guess is they'll probably use this series to show us a bit more about Obi-Wan...

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That series looks like a prequel to Rogue One, precisely it is set right between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rogue One.

My guess is they'll probably use this series to show us a bit more about Obi-Wan...

You mean like they used the Boba Fett show to show us more about The Mandalorian?

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My question is, where is Tatooine?

That's one of the great things about the trailer.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That's one of the great things about the trailer.

Man I am so glad we don't have to see Tatooine. Considering all the characters regard it as a shithole - people sure love going there. 

Just on memory we have it in:

Ep 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 (in all but name), 9, Mando, Boba Fett? 

I hate sand 

On 10/02/2022 at 5:40 PM, Jay said:

Tatooine is supposed to be this tiny inconsequential planet in the middle of nowhere in the original film

Then they returned to it in Return of the Jedi

and Phantom Menace

and Attack of the Clones

and Revenge of the Sith

and The Mandalorian Season 1

and The Rise of Skywalker

and The Mandalorian Season 2

and The Book of Boba Fett

and Obi-Wan Kenobi

when will they move on!?

13 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

You mean like they used the Boba Fett show to show us more about The Mandalorian?

We know all their tricks now.

On the trailer alone this looks fantastic, finally excited for some new Star Wars.

Thought Mando was competent and at times great, even, but certainly not as game changing as some people make out. Feels like at this point we've all been so mistreated that any level of decency is heralded as a revelation. 

Boba Fett was so painful I didn't even watch the last one, and that's saying something seeing as I lap up most SW stuff. 

This exudes thoughtful camerawork, composition, drama, just really feels well done from the limited peak we get. 

Who would've thought! Just need a gripping script and you can mix with the formula as much as you like, just first and foremost make a compelling story/dialogue. Something they've struggled to do since Ep1 to be perfectly honest. Lets hope this lives up to the trailer

14 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Also presumably the first time in 7 years Disney/Lucasfilm will show Coruscant for more than just a couple of seconds.

Yes, I am excited about this potentiality!

3 minutes ago, SourBork said:

Thought Mando was competent and at times great, even, but certainly not as game changing as some people make out

I don't think people got so excited about Mando because it was game-changing, they got excited because it was finally a big live action Disney era Star Wars project that felt comfortable just being Star Wars.

30 minutes ago, SourBork said:

Tatooine … Ep … 7 (in all but name)

I’ve been thinking about that. Not sure it’s fair. Jakku was a desert planet, to be sure, but there can be more than one. By not actually going back to Tatooine, they avoided a nice nostalgia trip of running into all our familiar species and architectural sites. Instead everything there was stuff we had never seen before. Lor San Tekka’s village/Church of the Force. The Starship Graveyard. The junkyard marketplace. It felt Star Warsey without being too fangasmic.

Wow! I had not watched the teaser yet, but just did so, and it looks seriously good!  What a cast!

August/September is getting stacked, with She-Hulk Aug 17, GOT House of The Dragon Aug 21, Andor Aug 31, LOTR Rings of Power Sep 2, etc

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't get it either.  Every piece of Star Wars content since 1983, except for 7,8,9 and the Resistance cartoon have been prequels.  Rogue One, Solo, Mando, Obi-Wan, Andor, Ahsoka, etc....  What is the obsession with filling in a timeline instead of going forward?

You forgot The Mandalorian and BoBF. But I agree with you. The sequels already showed, that apart from History Repeating they have no idea where to lead the story.

Agreed, @GerateWohl. It's just a desperate attempt by The Mouse to try to get its money's worth, following the double -whammy debacles of SOLO, and TROS.

The only serious cash it has on its ledger book is the MCU - a monstrosity which shows no signs of slowing down.

Disney Execs:  "We need to make new Star Wars that the toxic fandom will embrace"

Lucasfilm:  "Uh okay. We might have some stories"

Disney Execs:  "Just make sure they're not like those Prequels everyone hated!"

Lucasfilm: :eh: :unsure: "We might have some stories"

On 26/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, crocodile said:

It's a shame they stopped doing the "one thing" planets, like ice planet, lava planet, forest planet, sinkhole planet... That was cute. Now, they're just mostly "regular Earth in shitty weather" planets. 

Karol

Well sonce they show us portions of a planet only… most planets in the new era are also one dimensional. Rogueone gave us rocky desert planet, rocky rainiy planet, caribbean planet….

obi wan gave us warren wasteland planet, rocky greenish misty planet…

I think Star Wars is going to be a tough nut to crack for Lucasfilm.  How far away can you get from the Empire/Rebellion struggle or from the original characters before it doesn’t “feel” like Star Wars to a general audience? I’m not talking about the people who are inclined to follow the books, comics, games. That’s a relatively small audience compared to what they need to draw in to make their hundreds of millions investment profitable.  Just the man on the street Disney+ subscribers they need to rope in to get those millions of views.  If you get too far from the setting and characters of the “Skywalker saga,” will it get viewers?  Will it feel like Star Wars or might it as well be a Chronicle of Riddick?

I don’t think it’s a new problem.  Lucasfilm spent over two decades telling stories in media about boring Old Luke, boring Married Han and Leia, and their largely boring kids.  Every once in a while they would hit other eras (KOTOR, Darth Bane) or other characters (Rogue Squadron books, although even those roped in the odd Luke/Leia/Han appearance), but the OT and it’s characters were its bread and butter.

It looks like The Acolyte will be the first canary in expanding beyond the walls of Episode I-IX, followed by (maybe) Taika’s movie which he says won’t be about existing characters.  Hopefully they’re good!  I still wouldn’t count out a Yoda appearance in The Acolyte though…

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I don't get it either.  Every piece of Star Wars content since 1983, except for 7,8,9 and the Resistance cartoon have been prequels.  Rogue One, Solo, Mando, Obi-Wan, Andor, Ahsoka, etc....  What is the obsession with filling in a timeline instead of going forward?

so then technically mandalorian and boba fett, and probably ahsoka i'm guessing, are sequels

56 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don’t think it’s a new problem.  Lucasfilm spent over two decades telling stories in media about boring Old Luke, boring Married Han and Leia, and their largely boring kids.  Every once in a while they would hit other eras (KOTOR, Darth Bane) or other characters (Rogue Squadron books, although even those roped in the odd Luke/Leia/Han appearance), but the OT and it’s characters were it’s bread and butter.

Excluding Infinities, the amount of Legends content (including video games, books and comic books) that is before and after Luke's life-time is 60.2%

In comparison, the amount of Legends content during Luke's life-time is 39.8%

So no, I wouldn't say Legends had this problem at all

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't get all this prequel stuff.

The PT was all well and good, but what's the point of Andor, and Obi Wan series? We know what happens to them.

Obi Wan Kenobi? Dies.

Cassian Andor? Dies.

Anakin Skywalker? Dies.

Luke Skywalker? Dies.

Bail Organa? Dies.

Princess Leia? Dies.

Emperor Palpatine? Dies.

Oops! Spoilers :D

I know what you mean.  I can’t watch The Wizard of Oz because I know that sometime after the story ends, all of those characters will die.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't get all this prequel stuff.

The PT was all well and good, but what's the point of Andor, and Obi Wan series? We know what happens to them.

Obi Wan Kenobi? Dies.

Cassian Andor? Dies.

Anakin Skywalker? Dies.

Luke Skywalker? Dies.

Bail Organa? Dies.

Princess Leia? Dies.

Emperor Palpatine? Dies.

Oops! Spoilers :D

Why ever make a World War II movie? In the early 1950's did anyone think there would be a movie like Kelly's Heroes or The Dirty Dozen?

We know Cassian and (presumably) K2 aren't going to die. How often do you watch a TV show wondering if the protagonist is going to be offed this week?

It's still the best era. As I've probably complained about here it bugs me that we got SEVEN SEASONS of Anakin Skywalker on Clone Wars. But we can't possibly have a show (live action / animated / whatever) set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back with Luke, Leia, and Han.

IMHO the biggest problem with doing movie in the Galactic Civil War era is the space wizards. They're not supposed to be around and when they are they tend to link up with PT / OT characters like Vader. Also if you introduce too many of them you start wondering what Obi-Wan and Yoda were so worked up about.

I'm OK with a show that's heavy on blasters and X-wings but light on the Force.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I think Star Wars is going to be a tough nut to crack for Lucasfilm.  How far away can you get from the Empire/Rebellion struggle or from the original characters before it doesn’t “feel” like Star Wars to a general audience? I’m not talking about the people who are inclined to follow the books, comics, games. That’s a relatively small audience compared to what they need to draw in to make their hundreds of millions investment profitable.  Just the man on the street Disney+ subscribers they need to rope in to get those millions of views.  If you get too far from the setting and characters of the “Skywalker saga,” will it get viewers?  Will it feel like Star Wars or might it as well be a Chronicle of Riddick?

They should start continuing the sequel trilogy and have previously unkown jedi as protagonists. Jedi or sith is what makes star wars different or recognisable.

But please dont wipe the jedi order every new iteration. There can be diplomatic, detective and sotires like that with jedi involvement without a constant war agains the dark force users....