What are your favorite movies of the year so far?

John

I think I've mostly seen what there is to see for the year. 

The films I'm still curious about:

The Favourite

Vice

Widows

Green Book

Hey!  I admittedly can enjoy a good Oscar baity movie (like The Post), but don't pigeonhole me!  I'm interested in all kinds of movies.  The South Korean movie, Burning, for example is supposed to be amazing and I really want to see it.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey!  I admittedly can enjoy a good Oscar baity movie (like The Post), but don't pigeonhole me!  I'm interested in all kinds of movies.  The South Korean movie, Burning, for example is supposed to be amazing and I really want to see it.

I saw it a few weeks ago, and wrote a Norwegian review of it. I can see why it's been lauded, and it's not a bad film by any means, but it also has problems. Not quite what it was made out to be.

I should point out that, even though my expectations for December are low, there are still some films with earlier Norwegian 2018 dates I haven't been able to see yet, and that could potentially be contenders -- ROMA, NON-FICTION, BLIND SPOT, INCREDIBLES 2, THE WILD PEAR TREE, COLD WAR...

And then there are some intriguing international 2018 titles I haven't seen, that will (or will not) premiere here in 2019 -- like SHOPLIFTERS, GREEN BOOK, EIGHT GRADE, FIRST REFORMED, CLIMAX, UNDER THE SILVER LAKE, THE CANNIBAL CLUB, VOX LUX, THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT....

2 hours ago, KK said:

I think I've mostly seen what there is to see for the year. 

The films I'm still curious about:

Vice

Green Book

Same. Those come across as appealing.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Forgot about that one. Yea, that looks great, although I heard it didn't fare too well with the critics.

My colleagues were indeed lukewarm when they saw it in Cannes. But I loved IT FOLLOWS, so I have some expectations.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This one looks bonkers.  Can't wait to see it.

It could turn into David Robert Mitchell's Southland Tales, which Thor probably thinks is brilliant, even though his colleagues don't agree.

Again with the colleagues (I know it's tiring to always hear that), but they often see movies before me, so they're a reference point. Anyways, they were kinda disappointed in ROMA. I still maintain hope, as I'm generally a Cuarón fan. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Am I really the only JWFanner that's seen Eighth Grade?

I haven't but I'll remedy that ASAP.  A24 has started putting all of their releases on Kanopy, a great streaming site that's free for me.  Eighth Grade isn't on there yet, might be too new or something, but I'm sure it will be soon.

22 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

This is at the top of my to-see list.

Also want to see Mike Leigh's Peterloo. And the von Trier thing should be interesting...

I still haven't seen Mr. Turner!  Christ I keep forgetting.

Yup. Have to do it for the annual lists of our magazine. Only Norwegian premiere dates apply (with various other sub criteria).

As for EIGHTH GRADE, it's not available on Netflix. So I have no way of seeing it legally without buying imported DVDs/BRs. Hopefully, I can borrow one from one my colleagues (checking it out, it appears to have no Norwegian distributor yet).

On the other hand, I've seen a few films in 2018 (in festivals and such) that don't get wide distribution here untill next year. So I'll have to include these on next year's list.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion (even here) but I enjoyed the hell out of Ready Player One.  The source material sounded pretty god-awful nostalgia pandering but Spielberg (and Silvestri) manage to wring a fun movie out of it.  Not a great movie or anything but the most enjoyable for me.  

Haven't seen much else.  Oh yeah, Hereditary was fun, one of the best horror movies of recent years (and there have been quite a few good ones too)

On 12/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, Jay said:

You're still letting regional restrictions dictate your viewing habits in 2018?

But Thor watches seven films per day, so it's not as though he's sitting around waiting until such-and-such reaches Norway...

Ha, ha...true. Incidentally, I've seen EIGHTH GRADE already (contacted my editor, got a screener). OK film, but not as good as my colleagues made it out to be. However, I absolutely LOVED Anna Meredith's gorgeous synth score.

Meh. A lot of boring selections, IMO. Should be more visually ambitious films like ANNIHILATION and SUSPIRIA (but I'm glad they included those two, at least, especially the former).

2 hours ago, publicist said:

It lost all credibility with the inclusion of Hereditary. Its not Mother bad but it ain't  good.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Annihilation made it into the top 20? Must be a weak year for movies then.

Even Alex didn't like this one, eh?

Steven Spielberg did not make Ready Player One. A bunch of computer geeks did.