Tim Burden's Movie Magic - 3 episodes with Mike Matessino (discussing DRACULA and THE HARRY POTTER COLLECTION) now available

Jay

Well that was great to listen to!

I love how some stereo tapes were just sitting under some mono tapes for like 8 years. 

Also love how he surprised Williams with a little audio clip!

10 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I love how some stereo tapes were just sitting under some mono tapes for like 8 years. 

8 years OMG .i can;t believe they didn't check the entire contents of the box.That seems like a stupid mistake

PS nothing irritates me more than videos with no volume control

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but is it mentioned why mono tapes of the score exist in the first place?  Is there a purpose for having them in mono?  Was the film only mixed in mono for its original release or something?

Yep, you're right, forgot about that little tidbit, thanks for the reminder.  I have a very good feeling this is going to be my largest single soundtrack purchase :)

15 hours ago, King Mark said:

8 years OMG .i can;t believe they didn't check the entire contents of the box.That seems like a stupid mistake

Not they. Erick "Brickwall" Labson.

Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Look for holy grail recording

Open box full of tapes.

Check 2 tapes on top...says mono . Don't check ones underneath (because?)

Close box and never open  it again

Doesn't make sense unless the person really didn't give a shit or was extremely lazy

BTW what does "quater inch"  and 4 track mag or whatever mean in terms of what it looks like physically.

Is quater inch like a cassette or something?/

In this case I don't think the guy should be blamed for that (still terrible) mistake anymore. Maybe if Williams wouldn't have requested it, and the real tapes would have rotted under Varese's nose, but now that an MM Deluxe Edition is already out, we do know it all worked out fine.

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Look for holy grail recording

Open box full of tapes.

Check 2 tapes on top...says mono . Don't check ones underneath (because?)

Close box and never open  it again

You forgot the last part:

Keep box and never bother to send it back to rightful owners

14 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Awesome interview as always, thanks for sharing!  Hopefully this means Part II will be for Schindler's List & Superman and Part III for HP 1-3!

Well... Tim Burden already did a segment with Matessino on Superman; where he discusses what he would like to do with the reissue (once more) including a new re-transfer and future proofing them ! :whistle:

14 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Yep, you're right, forgot about that little tidbit, thanks for the reminder.  I have a very good feeling this is going to be my largest single soundtrack purchase :)

Yep, if things come to pass as we hope (Superman + Schindler's List + all 3 Potter scores), I'll be getting all 3 releases. My poor wallet.

Still, better to just rip the bandaid off. Shipping will be cheaper in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Fantastic interview, amazing how much work Mike did just assembling all the peformance edits for PS from scratch. Can you imagine any other producer even bothering? What a legend. 

Bit of a soft confirmation that everything's included here, with the alternates and commercials for all three films. I guess part of the discovery process must have been finding out what was in the sheet music vs what Williams actually recorded, and what wasn't in the sheet music but was uncovered by surprise (like the Hogwarts Forever vocal version). 

Should be interesting to hear more about Azkaban specifically, given all the alternates in the sheet music. 

That anecdote about Rowling signing off was interesting too. 

Interesting is a word for it. Lol.

This whole piece is great! Can’t wait for the rest!

6 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Agreed.  I couldn't believe that was all it cost; I feel like I got it on sale. 

Don't tell anyone, though, some people around here think it's ridiculously overpriced.

Overpriced and apparently not worth buying officially.