Tim Burden's Movie Magic - 3 episodes with Mike Matessino (discussing DRACULA and THE HARRY POTTER COLLECTION) now available

Jay

4 hours ago, Alan said:

For JK Rowling nothing about Potter should be considered educational. She describes Potter as stories from the playground, not the library. She was apparently concerned that the point was to teach children about the orchestra or something along those lines.

Is that why the students in the series never learn anything useful about the world outside of flying brooms? 

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is that why the students in the series never learn anything useful about the world outside of flying brooms? 

In the films, the main character doesn't even cast a single spell until halfway through the second one!

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

The second part is now available to hear and I hope you enjoy the special JW HP montage: 

https://soundcloud.com/timburden/the-musical-wizardry-of-john-williams-mike-matessino-on-harry-potter/s-suS7I

Excellent! Thanks for posting!

Hey @mahler3 what are you referring to at 38:30: "I love the edit in the film when suddenly the clouds part, straight into that cue, brand new material altogether."

Are you just referring to the Quidditch cue in PoA being completely different from the first two films, or is there something totally new on the LLL? Other than the new introductory cue that precedes it, I mean (Page 384).

I skipped New Broomstick, didn't want to spoil it. It's the last cue in the set!

Nice to have an explanation about all the third act Azkaban cues in the additional music section -- some OST tracks didn't feature the ticking clock while the film equivalents do, so both are included for completeness sake. Bravo.

Mike's reasoning for including the alternate finale was fun. He just happened to find it in the sessions and didn't know why it existed, but it made a great final track for his assembly. Sadly no mention of finding any other major alternates in the sessions like Train to Hogwarts v2, First Frozen Lake, Remembering Mother, a different Harry & Sirius chat (partly included on the OST?), etc.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Train to Hogwarts V1 and V2 are both in the set

Ooh, intriguing! :) Great news with my morning coffee.

Were there many cues in the sheet music leak that Williams never recorded, if you're prepared to divulge? It seems like he thought up the WTTP theme quite late in the process, or used it very sparingly in the score and Cuaron asked him to use it more. Either way, so glad he had the chance to integrate the theme deeper into the score because it's incredible. I especially can't wait to hear the rendition in Harry & Sirius' chat.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I believe you'll find that's

28. Trailer   1:52

;) 

D'oh! Right you are. Well, you know what I mean... :P

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

What part of COS sounds like ESB?

Part of Quidditch, Second Year sounds like the end of Clash of Lightsabers/Through the Window:

EDIT: Ninja'd!