List of Williams session venues & engineers?

Paul Andrew MacLean

Does anyone know if there is a list somewhere online (perhaps even on this site) which has a John Williams filmography that includes the recording venue and engineers for each of his scores?

The other night I was having a conversation with a friend of mine, who was amazed Temple of Doom and Last Crusade were recorded on the same stage, and I was explaining to him that Bruce Botnick and Dan Wallin have very different techniques.  He started asking about more sessions, and I have to admit I couldn't recall who engineered what in a lot of cases (and I don't really feel like pulling out all my albums to provide the information!).

So does anyone know of a definitive list?  Cheers!

It might be of interest to some here that the site of the former Denham Film Studios (and subsequently Anvil Studios) where Williams recorded many of his classic scores is currently being developed by Weston Homes for housing, with apartment blocks bearing the names of famous film directors and actors such as 'The Spielberg', 'The Lucas', 'The Lester', etc.  There is even one called 'The Hamill', although disappointingly I do not think 'The Williams' is anywhere on the development.  The access road into the new development will be called Stanley Kubrick Road.

It amuses me that both La La Land and Varese Sarabande struggle to locate Anvil Studios in their liner notes for John Williams releases.  In Jane Eyre, for example, the former lists Denham as being in London while in the recent Dracula release Varese hedges its bets by locating Denham in both Middlesex and Buckinghamshire (see page 8 of the CD booklet).  Denham is actually a village in Buckinghamshire just outside London with the studios the other side of the River Colne from the London Borough of Hillingdon.  I think the confusion probably stems from the fact that Denham is often listed as being part of nearby Uxbridge, which is in Middlesex and therefore part of Greater London.  I recall from Mike Matessino's recent talk in London that the tapes from one of the scores bore the address of Anvil Studios as "Denham, Uxbridge, Middlesex."  Denham also has an Uxbridge post code (UB9) despite being in Buckinghamshire outside Greater London.

Aren't you glad I've cleared that up for you? 🤓