GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

Ayy Bill Ross conducting! 😀

(Can't actually listen now but very surprised and excited. I think we'd heard he *might* be writing something but we had absolutely no idea it was actually happening, much less already recorded!!) 

Also, I guess this shows Lucasfilm isn't done with the LSO, which will make many of you happy!

Just listened! Sounds kinda predictable - this is definitely "auto-pilot Williams" as some here like to say, and at times it sounds like he is aping "The Flag Parade." 

Nevertheless, it's as usual very well done, and harkens back to his 80s sound in parts. I particularly like the little trumpet interlude midway through - sounds like something out of Amazing Stories

I'm seriously so excited right now. I've come to accept that I'm never going to enjoy Williams' more recent output quite as much as his classics, but new Williams is new Williams. Plus I've been wanting to hear what he would come up with for a theme park setting for ages. This piece is a cool start - again, nothing that I would say rivals his best work, but I still really like it.

Thank you so much for sharing the link!

6 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

*theme plays* 

This is a Galactic Breaking News Update

"Good Evening.  This report is just in.  Emperor Palpatine had dissolved the Imperial Senate.  We go live now to our reporters on the ground in Coruscant."

"What's your take on this drastic political move, sir?"

"I don't know, man, this is the work of midichlorians or some ----."

-----------------------------

Can't listen to it now, but excited to soon! 

And we get a video with the sound in perfect quality

I miss the old days when we get to hear a few seconds of  from a cell phone of someone who went to the park ride and the thing never being released officially ever

but now....how much music did he actually compose and will that be released>

Interesting.

There is nothing thematically/melodically memorable with the cue, but I like the slightly "cleaner" sound of it, which makes it closer to the prequel music than the last two scores in the saga.

If someone makes an audio rip of the track, I'd love to get it.

Does anyone know when he wrote this?

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I used videodownload helper on firefox

Yeah, just discovered the Youtube link earlier in the thread. Converted and downloaded now!

Along with other events such as his arrangements for Annie Sophie Mutter that span a huge amount of time in his work, his greenlighting of all these specialty releases, and all of this Star Wars music, I get the impression John Williams has entered a more self-reflexive stage of his career in the arena of film scores. With the Star Wars music we've gotten these past few years, it sounds to me like he takes these assignments on with a sense of "Oh, how fun will it be to do more Star Wars!" Like there's more of a distance between himself and what he's doing for these things, if that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's a bit like Gordy Haab's Battlefront - gets across the atmosphere but doesn't dig deeper into memorable melodies or have too much heart.

Yeah not really feeling it on this one. 

Slightly off topic.  Here's a fun arrangement to add to your Disney Park playlist.  I would love to get a clean recording of the music without dialogue for this.  Now this is, of course, repurposing, but damn if it isn't catchy.  If you've not experienced it live over the park audio and with the live parade of troops, it's amazing.

This is fantastic!  And—ahem—not totally out of the blue...

It's not OT- or TFA-level stuff, to be sure, but I agree, it beats much of The Last Jedi and stands pretty comfortably alongside "The Adventures of Han," which it resembles in places.  The high-strings ostinato sounds very contemporary and threw me at first, but actually has some roots in the Hook "Prologue", I think, and no matter what, it works brilliantly to build anticipation, as does that opening engine rumble from the percussion.  That's something I haven't heard from Williams before.  The real Star Wars sound kicks in with the low strings at :49, as @Nick Parker pointed out, and from the 1:00 mark on.  I also heard hints of "March of the Resistance" in the fugue-y buildup around 1:30.

What glorious times indeed for a JWFan, that we can hear and analyze new Star Wars music in high quality and compare it to other new Star Wars music that, as recently as six years ago, we never thought we'd get.

13 minutes ago, igger6 said:

The high-strings ostinato sounds very contemporary and threw me at first, but actually has some roots in the Hook "Prologue", I think, and no matter what, it works brilliantly to build anticipation.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that as well. But I actually really like it because it shows how JW can make his sound a bit contemporary without sacrificing his classic orchestrations.