GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

12 hours ago, Remco said:

sounds like Williams writing for a videogame

That game should be named Lawrence of Tatooine ;)

Maybe have Luke or Rey as unlockable characters, better feature the Alec Guiness character from Lawrence of Arabia as well. 

Galaxy Edge! Great music!   

I just noticed the bottle reveal music  in the coke ad is not exactly the same as in the final release of the suite(at 0.22 exactly in the coke ad.) .My first disappointment because I loved that tiny variation

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I just noticed the bottle reveal music  in the coke ad is not exactly the same as in the final release of the suite(at 0.22 exactly in the coke ad.) .My first disappointment because I loved that tiny variation

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I doubt this is an alternative to the piece we have.  Rather it is part of a piece played elsewhere.  Hopefully, an album will be released down the road. 

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

an album will be released down the road. 

better include a love theme for Han and Chewie!;)

Movement II: Han and Chewbacca 

I mean, there isn't really a brotherly type of love theme in SW right?

Just now, A Ghost From Highwood said:

better include a love theme for Han and Chewie!;)

Movement II: Han and Chewbacca 

I mean, there isn't really a brotherly type of love theme in SW right?

Why are you so against Han and Chewbacca being romantically involved? Williams on Solo and the Wookie: "Such a vast glossary of themes, and we've never had a polyamorous love theme."

This piece amazes me :) 

Disappointing parts (I had to try and find some :P:

- The tempo is a tad too slow for my taste and could benefit some more energy such as some re recordings of Scherzo for x-wings. But I get why it is what it is :)

- The Starwarsian bit at 2:56 feels a bit forced

But let me explain why this piece amazed me in the first place. It sounds like we have a John Williams looking back at his entire career and summarizing it into one piece. The sound of it is "celebratory" and both "proud" and "nostalgic" if I may. It sums up a lot of feelings. The second thing is, I sware parts of this could be straight from other JW movies ! The part at 1:47 to 2:01 is pure Indiana Jones to me, I also have vibes of Flag Parade, The post, March of the resistance, E.T…

Also, to me, the beginning fanfare is Star Wars grandeur meets Disney magic.

Now I just hope we can have this sort of writing for TROS.

33 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Why are you so against Han and Chewbacca being romantically involved? Williams on Solo and the Wookie: "Such a vast glossary of themes, and we've never had a polyamorous love theme."

Cue the shower scene from Solo.

33 minutes ago, toothless said:

Starwarsian bit at 2:56 feels a bit forced

I agree. 

Main Theme 1+2:

I don't really like the main subject, but starting from 0:52, the piece gets better. 

Secondary Subject:

Yeah, this one feels very Indiana Jones, maybe even Lawrence of Arabia.

Opening Fanfare in b flat major:

This is really cool. Indeed a period of civil war.

Fugal moments:

Love them! Seems like the fugue has returned!

This is definitely the best theme park music I've heard. This new wave of JW music is exciting. For now, this new symphonic suite will get me through most of 2019. Bravo!

2 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Fugal moments:

Love them! Seems like the fugue has returned!

Bespin once told me, and I'm paraphrasing, that John Williams always throws in a little fugue for us. I think the latest piece that had fugal qualities is the March of the Resistance. I remember them talking about that on the Art of the Score podcast (great episode BTW).

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Cue the shower scene from Solo.

Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite: 

I. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

II. Solo and Chewie

III. The Kessel Run

IV. The Shower Scene

V. A Game of Sabacc

VI. Romantic Flight

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Bespin once told me, and I'm paraphrasing, that John Williams always throws in a little fugue for us. I think the latest piece that had fugal qualities is the March of the Resistance. I remember them talking about that on the Art of the Score podcast (great episode BTW).

This Galaxy's Edge piece certainly sounds like a Star Wars fugue to me. 

Anyone thinks this and/or AoH could be Williams doing what he originally wanted for the prequels and write a brand new Star Wars main theme?

If so, which of these would function best over the opening crawl?

Food for thought...

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Apart from some flourishes in the orchestrations this doesn't particularly call up Star Wars in my mind.

Its okay, i guess. Perhaps repeated listens will reveal more.

I think it has a strong TPM Naboo and Coruscant-vibe, along with the Rebel-fanfare sort of thing. 

3:00ish to 3:30ish is so much fun. There are these faint woodwind trills through the Slave Children melody that give it this bubbling sound, and of course you got classic Star Wars brass resolution chords that remind me of the original end credits and the end of the Force Awakens credits (for anyone who wants to put the chords under their fingers, it's basically Bbaug, Bb, Gbmaj7 in trademark closed voicing a la Imperial Attack, Bb), with these string figures keeping up a certain dissonance and momentum. Whenever I hear Williams write stuff like that I always picture him looking at the natural world around him in wonder.

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

I’m nearly sure that’s just a digital edit just to repeat these couple of notes... also the music after that is from 2:09 in ‘Main Title and Attack on Jakku Village’.

yeah it could be

7 hours ago, toothless said:

Disappointing parts (I had to try and find some :P:

- The Starwarsian bit at 2:56 feels a bit forced

love that!

9 hours ago, toothless said:

The part at 1:47 to 2:01 is pure Indiana Jones to me

Slave Children's Crusade? or just the general Middle East/Arabic/Orient harmonic suggestion in various parts of the films

2 minutes ago, BTR1701 said:

also found it interesting that Williams apparently doesn't use an orchestrator anymore, instead sending his sketches directly to Joann Kane, which prepares the scores and parts directly from the sketches.

This has been the case since at least Lincoln

I’m afraid recording in a concert hall would be difficult with regards to all of the secrecy surrounding these SW sessions, but yes I’d prefer that sound over Sony any day!

Which other recent big orchestral scores were recorded there? I’m curious to hear a recording not made by Murphy.

It's nice to see that Williams interest in Star Wars doesn't seem to be waning.  Even if IX is his last full Star Wars score, I can still see him writing a theme or two for future SW releases.

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

Even if IX is his last full Star Wars score, I can still see him writing a theme or two for future SW releases.

Again MM has stated that the news that Ep 9 would be JW's final Star Wars score isnt true.

I'm confused... is Williams planning on scoring another SW film?  The next one isn't until 2022.  I understand he doesn't plan to retire after IX but I didn't know he planned to score another  SW film.

Planning?  I'm sure he has no specific plans, as nothing will need his services any time soon.

He simply meant that JW never stated anywhere that Ep 9 was planned to be his final SW score.  The news misconstrued his words.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Wonder what the extent of that is. I guess it ups the odds that there’s at least one attraction that he actually scored. 

They've officially said as much - he wrote music for the attractions specifically.

As for the no-more-Star-Wars-after-TROS thing, I guess I missed the thing with MM. I had thought the quotes about him being done after IX were pretty clear, but I'm delighted if this isn't the case!

11 hours ago, Datameister said:

They've officially said as much - he wrote music for the attractions specifically.

As for the no-more-Star-Wars-after-TROS thing, I guess I missed the thing with MM. I had thought the quotes about him being done after IX were pretty clear, but I'm delighted if this isn't the case!

You can hear Mike talk about it here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29259-new-mike-matessino-audio-interview-by-maurizio-caschetto-update-part-2-now-available/

So you can hear some of the land's exterior background music through the construction walls now. I stuck around for perhaps 2 or 3 minutes. Seemed to be slow variations on the different melodies heard in the suite. General tone of wonderment. Sounded like it was probably not a Williams arrangement, though, and I'm not sure if there were any acoustic instruments; it was muffled by the wall.

yeah some of it might have been re-arranged by other composers .It'll be hard to know what are the true Williams bits unless we have somekind of cue list of what was recorded