GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

7 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

It will be so immersive and really feel real for the guests as though they're really in that universe on a planet we've never heard of created with such realism and attention to detail if we have absolutely no music playing like these parks traditionally do, aside from circus music for the pisser. Never mind that they're surrounded by fat sweaty hillbillies that wash themselves with a rag on a stick, no aliens or robots and some props parked next to rocks and stores selling overpriced junk to geeks and it really feels nothing like Star Wars.

What wrong turn did you take on the way to Anaheim? 😂

• 1 month later...

@igger6 nice write-up! 

It's odd, GE seems to be capitalising on all the imagery annd characters that are iconic to the franchise, yet as a point of immersion, it means no 'theme' music plays in the park. It's a theme park! You want to be immersive, Disney, how about making customers earn a living working as a slave on Tatooine, introducing galactic credits as currency! 

Immersion isn't simply about being tricked into believing you're in a different world, rather it tends to be what we make of it in our interpretation. It seems to be a strange dichotomy of accepting film music's role in a film, but playing it in a theme park would somehow break the illusion - which is nonsense. Disney should be blasting out all the themes, all the music that for many people was part of the immersive qualities of the films, as a point of familiarity too.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

They should at least have the “join the empire”-recruitment video, from Solo, running somewhere. Maybe in the bathroom stalls?

The urinals should be shaped like stormtrooper helmets! 

Since you mentioned it, the bathrooms were actually kind of a letdown.  Industrial-looking sinks and a deliberately dirty mirror.  Another missed opportunity.

There will be a presentation at Disney's D23 convention about the music and sounds of Galaxy's Edge. Friday August 23rd from 12:30 to 1:30 PST. D23 presentations have not been livestreamed in the past and I don't think that's going to change this year.

A Disney fan site reported on this recently and editorialized brilliantly to the effect of “if they take questions, press them on why they’re holding a panel on music when there is little to none in the land.”

Yep. Rides, buildings, layout, landscaping, infrastructure...those take a lot of time and money to change, and the process is usually disruptive to the visitors' experience. Not so for changing a background music loop. These can and do change over the years. Even the most venerable, fundamentally unchanged area of Disneyland - Main Street - doesn't have the same loop it had just 10 years ago...and I don't believe the park opened with the loop before that, either. Who knows what Galaxy's Edge will sound like in a year, not to mention a decade or three.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think was the temp?

I believe it was a Benny Goodman record. Not sure which.

As for that Galaxy's Edge piece, definitely not Williams, also not Ross:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8528161/disneys-star-wars-galaxys-edge-cantina-music-album-playlist-one?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

So they're releasing potentially multiple in-universe music albums for the park - hopefully the orchestral music will find a release at some point as well.

I haven't changed my opinion that this is an amazing piece of music that should be on every Best Of Williams compilation

The recording is also absolutely stellar

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, King Mark said:

Came back from there, amazing setting but the lack of music is very disappointing. I only heard re-arranged snippets of the Galaxy's Edge theme at the entrance. and new pieces in the Cantina.

Arranged by Randy Kerber into a 5+ minute, ambient/world music-like piece.  Kerber also composed various original cues for the marketplace area.

• 1 month later...

Two unrelated sources of musical samples from Galaxy's Edge:

...and...

https://harlanhodges.com/#attractions

The video was just posted today, and while there's some unfortunate weirdness with the music (it sounds like it's overdubbed on top of itself with a delay of a second or two), there's still interesting stuff to be found.

Then the link to Harlan Hodges' website has some samples of source music he wrote for the land.

hmm, it would be great if the made available the re-arranged Williams material

That ambiant music is kind of meh

48 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Two unrelated sources of musical samples from Galaxy's Edge:

...and...

https://harlanhodges.com/#attractions

The video was just posted today, and while there's some unfortunate weirdness with the music (it sounds like it's overdubbed on top of itself with a delay of a second or two), there's still interesting stuff to be found.

Then the link to Harlan Hodges' website has some samples of source music he wrote for the land.

I hear some TFA in that (Finn's Trek)

Galaxy's Edge is one of my favorite SW concert pieces, even though I don't think it has ever been performed in concert! The melody is a bit more Indiana Jones than SW but I love the scale of it and the space and clarity of the recording. To me the development throughout the piece is reminiscent of Adventures of Han, but a little more coherent and successful in maintaining the thread.

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

even though I don't think it has ever been performed in concert

I know of two times, both conducted by David Newman last August: at Tanglewood Film Night and at the Hollywood Bowl.

Here’s the Bowl performance

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I know of two times, both conducted by David Newman last August: at Tanglewood Film Night and at the Hollywood Bowl.

Wasn’t there a third? I thought he did it another time at Tanglewood as well.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Cool! I didn't know this was a thing that happened.

Lovely note from John. Interesting that it hints at future collaborations.

What's that symphonic suite CD? Just the main theme or all the stuff Ross recorded for the rest of the attractions?

The track by Williams is already called "Galaxy's Edge - Symphonic Suite" - so my guess is, it's a single with what we have already.

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVLP99/star-wars-galaxys-edge-symphonic-suite

This seems to confirm - kind of silly to have the same track on both sides.  They're doing the same with The Mandalorian vinyl they announced on 5/4 - picture disc with the end theme on both sides.

Galaxy's Edge Complete 3. c.d. set

C.D. 1- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

C.D. 2- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

C.D. 3- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

On 5/6/2020 at 5:46 AM, Disco Stu said:

I think I already made this comment, but I really wish Williams hadn't shortened the final minute.  I don't mind the first edit after the big statement of the main theme, but the second edit makes the piece feel rushed.  

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Galaxy's Edge Complete 3. c.d. set

C.D. 1- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

C.D. 2- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

C.D. 3- Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite

Don't give Disney Records any more bad ideas! They have enough as it is.