Jump to content

GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)


tranders65
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

So what I wonder is this - with Ross conducting the LSO, do we think it’s possible Williams was originally intended to record this himself in London while on tour in Europe?

 

I doubt it Joe, only because the video was obviously recorded several months ago in the summer.  Many of the musicians are wearing shorts (and some are even barefoot!), so I guess that John Williams must have written this music several months ago.  We had a very hot summer in London but late October is not really shorts weather in the UK, unless you are in Newcastle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Omen II said:

 

I doubt it Joe, only because the video was obviously recorded several months ago in the summer.  Many of the musicians are wearing shorts (and some are even barefoot!), so I guess that John Williams must have written this music several months ago.  We had a very hot summer in London but late October is not really shorts weather in the UK, unless you are in Newcastle.

Perhaps it was the music that made them strip? :)

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Wednesday: Entertainment Weekly is excited to premiere John Williams’ brand new score for Eggo’s exciting new Star Wars frozen waffles:  “Syrup of the Fates!”

"Wa-ffles! Waffles-yea! Wa-ffles!! Syrup too!!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we get the LSO performing theme park music, but heaven forbid anyone use them for actual Star Wars movies nowadays?

Heck, J. Powell went to London for Solo (not THE London orchestra, but A London orchestra anyhow)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scheduling. The scoring sessions for episodes 7 and 8 took place over many months. It just wasn’t possible even if Williams was willing to spend numerous months in London and make repeated trips there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Especially with these latter two Star Wars films he's scored and presumably IX as well, they must be some of the most demanding films in Hollywood in terms of requiring rewrites and revisions to the score.  The recording schedules have to be sprawling by nature

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Yes exactly, that's the price of a Williams score these days. He likes to take his time.

 

Nonsense.  He is fast but film makers demand revisions to match their latest edit based on someone's opinion.  Do modern filmmakers know how to storyboard anymore or do they skip it since they'll "create" the film while editing in post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

 

Nonsense.  He is fast but film makers demand revisions to match their latest edit based on someone's opinion.

 

Not nonsense. If he wanted to he could choose to score the film closer to a final edit, but he simply doesn't want to work like that any more. That's why he turned down the last Potter film. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, he’s not going to have as much time for IX since they’re still filming. He may not even starting writing until February or March and it’s likely he’ll write 2+ hours of music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think even TFA didn't start recording until June then went through to October. He still ended up with 3 hours of music because JJ kept changing the edit and his mind. It seems they had lots of tonal changes throughout post on TFA, so Williams' revisions weren't just strictly timing changes/loops. Didn't he say he wrote like 7 versions of Rey Meets BB8? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah and it's interesting Williams had no issues sending Ross over to conduct them to do it at Abbey Road, rather than insist on conducting it himself in LA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2018 at 6:17 PM, Thor said:

Interesting.

 

There is nothing thematically/melodically memorable with the cue, but I like the slightly "cleaner" sound of it, which makes it closer to the prequel music than the last two scores in the saga.

Yes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, it's a lovely Star Wars miniature that sits comfortably well within the now very large repertoire of Star Wars music by JW. It sounds certainly closer to the 21st century-style of JW writing, but I love how he still is able to capture the outer space adventure/militaristic feeling of the original trilogy (the juicy string harmonies segment at 0:48-1:04 reminded me of the "Alliance Assembly" stuff from Return of the Jedi).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's pretty banal to my ears, for JW.  All the way through I kept thinking - this sounds like some nobody trying to write in a vague John Williams style, there's no way this is actually written by Williams.  But it seems I was wrong!

 

I found the Adventures of Han theme pretty boring as well.  It feels like with these little one-off assignments, Williams doesn't feel much interest or involvement and knocks something together in an afternoon.  Certainly these sort of pieces display nothing of the technical brilliance of his recent music for the Last Jedi and the BFG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think even TFA didn't start recording until June then went through to October. He still ended up with 3 hours of music because JJ kept changing the edit and his mind. It seems they had lots of tonal changes throughout post on TFA, so Williams' revisions weren't just strictly timing changes/loops. Didn't he say he wrote like 7 versions of Rey Meets BB8? 

 

I vaguely remember that now.  I guess he'll have at least three months to write going by the TFA schedule.  Since Abrams is helming the project, I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded 3 hours of music again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yeah and it's interesting Williams had no issues sending Ross over to conduct them to do it at Abbey Road, rather than insist on conducting it himself in LA.

 

I'm now remembering that there's precedent - if I'm not mistaken, Ross had already done two other Star Wars recordings with the LSO for the parks. Most recently, there was the score to Hyperspace Mountain, and before that was some background music for Star Tours in Tokyo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd like to hear this music as written.  I didn't notice the super obvious edit at :48 or so the first time I listened to it.

 

I didn't notice it my first couple of listens either but now I can't help but hear it and it's pretty glaring now. I would love to hear what Williams is really building up to before the edit, if anything. 

 

All in all, I really like this piece and it seems like it will suit the theme park quite well.  It got stuck in my head after the 4th listen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Balahkay said:

Well, he’s not going to have as much time for IX since they’re still filming. He may not even starting writing until February or March and it’s likely he’ll write 2+ hours of music.

 

Episode IX doesn't wrap until February unless Abrams finishes a month or two early.

 

I'm sure with the post-production schedule, they're going for staggered L.A. sessions again throughout summer and fall 2019. I'd be surprised if Abrams and Williams want to record in London.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JW will certainly record IX at Sony in LA, no doubt about it (It's likely music for the parks is being recorded in London to avoid high re-use fees). I think he will start writing as soon as he gets some footage like he did for TFA, where he wrote and also recorded "temp versions" of the main thematic material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

JW will certainly record IX at Sony in LA, no doubt about it (It's likely music for the parks is being recorded in London to avoid high re-use fees). I think he will start writing as soon as he gets some footage like he did for TFA, where he wrote and also recorded "temp versions" of the main thematic material.

He'll probably write a piano demo, then send it to William Ross to arrange, orchestrate and conduct. :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aviazn said:

If I’m being honest, if you played the first 15 seconds for me and told me that it was a generic demo track from an aspiring film composer’s personal website, I’d have believed you.

 

too real

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Well if there's more music on the way, would we expect an official release?

 

Hard to say. When Cars Land opened in 2012, Disney put out an album of some music that was recorded or licensed for that area. But there's also plenty of great music from the parks that remains unreleased. I'm gonna guess we'll get at least one or two cues or edited suites...eventually...but I couldn't say beyond that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'd think that Disney would want to release anything they can by JW for the SW universe, as part of reclaiming their investment.

 

I mean for SW fans and JW fans combined, is there anything too obscure?

 

3 hours ago, aviazn said:

If I’m being honest, if you played the first 15 seconds for me and told me that it was a generic demo track from an aspiring film composer’s personal website, I’d have believed you.

 

Yep.

 

And can't we just be 'honest' all the time? If that involves shattering the illusion that JW never composes pap... so be it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

 

 

Yep.

 

And can't we just be 'honest' all the time? If that involves shattering the illusion that JW never composes pap... so be it.

 nah if this was by some random composer I'd still think it's pretty good

 

That passage between 1.10 and 1.30. That's pure Williams and sounds better than the March of the Resistance IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

 

Hard to say. When Cars Land opened in 2012, Disney put out an album of some music that was recorded or licensed for that area. But there's also plenty of great music from the parks that remains unreleased. I'm gonna guess we'll get at least one or two cues or edited suites...eventually...but I couldn't say beyond that.

 

I would buy a pressed CD of Williams' Galaxy Edge album.

 

I mean, Disney is milking Williams for every little bit of music while he's still able... why make it a digital-only release?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As would I...although a digital-only release would still be better than no release at all, which is what a lot of theme park music gets. But for whatever reason, Disney doesn't seem to be in any rush to get stuff out there. I think it's now been five years since the latest iteration of the basic Disneyland Resort soundtrack album, and I'm certainly ready for a new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.