Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

23 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Definitely looking forward to getting this. However, I may need to have a tissue or two on hand. I'll also be seeing it in theaters

One curiosity though: I heard that there was an alternate of the entire Schindler's Workforce, in addition to two alternates of the cue called The Money Exchange.

Is that true, and is that included? Basically, is all of John Williams' score included?

Schindler's Workforce is an album track containing two cues, 2M3/3M1 The Money Exchange and 3M1B Recruiting.

The original album featured different version of the cues than the versions used in the film, while the new set features the versions used in the film to open disc two. I don't believe there is anything else for these cues worth releasing, anything else in the leak would just be alternate TAKES, not rewrites.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

That was composed and arranged by William Ross from Williams’ sketches.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I thought it was Angela Morley, who also arranged the source music for this score.

You guys misremembered, it was Brian Eno.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, and that is included in this set.

Very glad the final film version insert is included on this new release, which I recall was missing from the session leaks. From memory the sessions contained about 6-7 versions of that insert, none of which were the final version and all sounded quite different from the final film version (which would've been nice to hear on this release, but I understand why they're absent).

I guess the sessions are more of a curiosity than anything now, hearing the evolution of John's thought-process as a conductor/composer. And obviously the source music, which he sadly seems adverse to releasing if he didn't compose (although he had no issues with all that source music on the Home Alone release).

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(I do have a bit of a soft spot for the HA2 simply because the choir in the full mix is so shrill that I've always had conflicted feelings about it)

I wouldn't have kept the choir version. The shorter orchestral backing track is so fully orchestrated that it's just enough of that tune.

20 minutes ago, publicist said:

I wouldn't have kept the choir version. The shorter orchestral backing track is so fully orchestrated that it's just enough of that tune.

There's a clear drop of prominence in the melody line where the choir is (not) coming in.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There's a clear drop of prominence in the melody line where the choir is (not) coming in.

That's why i said just. It's certainly preferable to the chorus.

I thought JW was gonna follow a similar direction as the 2015 A.I. release and the Academy Promo CD. I know that making the SL recording sessions useless is a totally different thing as making the A.I. Academy Promo CD was, but it doesn't seem there's much added here. I assume that, excluding all the alternates and source music, all the music is there, right?

And what's this "1993 release’s 24-karat gold Ultimate Masterdisc digital master"? Aside from the japanese K2HD "remaster" (link below), was there another master for the 1993 release? Does it sound different from the standard OST CD? Because the 1996 gold CD from E.T. that came with the Laserdisc is bit-by-bit identical to the standard version...

The Jap version I mentioned: http://www.elusivedisc.com/John-Williams-Schindlers-List-Soundtrack-K2-HD-Import-CD/productinfo/UNIHDI9692N/

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

IMG_20181123_202837.jpg

IMG_20181123_202822.jpg

I didn't get this, but I remember seeing it in the store back when it was released. 

I know this has one large, glaring misspelling on the cover... What was it again? They misspelled "Conducted"? Something like that! 

Edit: Ah, I got it! John Williams didn't compose this, he "composted" it! 😄 

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I know this has one large, glaring misspelling on the cover... What was it again? They misspelled "Conducted"? Something like that!

It doesn't

The OST has Spielberg's name misspelled.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It doesn't

The OST has Spielberg's name misspelled.

I know more about this than you, and I don't even own it! 

This is from the pic that you just posted: 

_20181124_044056.JPG

I remember noticing this mistake in the store back then.

I considered this for a moment, then put the CD back on the shelf. I didn't buy it that day, and never have afterwards, either. I decided that the OST album was good enough for me!

:D

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

IMG_20181123_202837.jpg

IMG_20181123_202822.jpg

Cool. I think Apollo 13 OST also had that "Ultimate Masterdisc". Does it sound any different than the regular OST?

Here's the gold 1996 E.T.. The sound is identical, and the standard CD way cooler.

20181123_182355.jpg

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

And what a compost it is!

Karol

I thought I read "Music Composed and Concocted by John Williams and Alan Silvestri".

Gold CDs won't sound better than the standard CD unless they utilize a superior alternate mix. The gold version has never generated any buzz on this forum aside from KM claiming his has ironically deteriorated with the passage of time.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Schindler's Workforce is an album track containing two cues, 2M3/3M1 The Money Exchange and 3M1B Recruiting.

The original album featured different version of the cues than the versions used in the film, while the new set features the versions used in the film to open disc two. I don't believe there is anything else for these cues worth releasing, anything else in the leak would just be alternate TAKES, not rewrites.

Oh, okay. 

So, the Maestro’s entire score is included, right?

21 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Gold CDs won't sound better than the standard CD unless they utilize a superior alternate mix. The gold version has never generated any buzz on this forum aside from KM claiming his has ironically deteriorated with the passage of time.

yes, My E..T. gold disk has a weird rainbow pattern on the upper surface

That was a great CD. The regular one, I mean. I have fond memories of removing the disc from the case to reveal the rainbow trail in the sky from the end of the movie behind it. The packaging was super charming. 

On 11/23/2018 at 7:52 PM, JohnnyD said:

Oh, okay. 

So, the Maestro’s entire score is included, right?

Yes. The OST was already complete, in the sense that one version of every score cue he wrote for the film was already on it.  This new set adds alternate versions of the same cues, not additional cues that go between what we already had or anything.

Of course I'm just referring to score cues here, all the source music Williams conducted remains unreleased officially.

the reason I won't be getting this and Land of the Giants now is that i don't want to make a too big shipment at the same time. I've never had customs problems but HP is a pretty big set so I don't want to push my luck

On 11/23/2018 at 8:56 PM, Jay said:

Yes. The OST was already complete, in the sense that one version of every score cue he wrote for the film was already on it.  This new set adds alternate versions of the same cues, not additional cues that go between what we already had or anything. 

Of course I'm just referring to score cues here, all the source music Williams conducted remains unreleased officially.

What is Reflections and The Perlman Family then?

What I'll do with it is create a more custom playlist and keep the OST as an alternate album experience.

(When I say "create" I mean follow other people's playlist suggestions ;))

Karol

Does anyone know the backstory for the album versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav"? They're completely different from the film versions.

I presume the film versions were temp tracks, since they're both off film soundtracks that came out in 1991, two years before the film was being edited.

Was there ever an intention to replace them in the film with the album versions? It seems unlikely, because their tone is so different they would have altered those scenes, especially the ending, the version of Yeroishalaim from "Pour Sacha" is so upbeat, while the album version is so solemn.

20 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Couldn't it also be that they were always going to use the film versions, but Williams wanted to record his own for the album?

Both explanations are entirely possible, the versions are just so utterly and completely different, I wonder what the story is.

Could also be a licensing/rights thing. It might have been easier to just record his own version of those tracks during the sessions rather than license existing recordings for his soundtrack.

Just now, crumbs said:

Could also be a licensing/rights thing. It might have been easier to just record his own version of those tracks during the sessions rather than license existing recordings for his soundtrack.

The recordings used in the film are not even credited in the end credits roll though, it's very strange. It's like they were temp track versions left in at the last minute after the credits were done or something.

I believe all the other existing recordings used in the film are credited at the end, there are 5 of them, although none of the dance songs/tangos that Williams recorded are credited, which is weird, since songs are usually credited for the composition, even if they're not the original recordings.