Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Can anybody explain to me, why we're discussing in this thread how the music looks and not how it sounds?

Because if it looks bad, then it sounds bad.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Can anybody explain to me, why we're discussing in this thread how the music looks and not how it sounds?

Some tracks definitely don't sound good, looking at spectrograms just helps us understand what happened and kind of confirms what we can hear.

4 hours ago, Chewy said:

Some tracks definitely don't sound good, looking at spectrograms just helps us understand what happened and kind of confirms what we can hear.

Not in this case, the 16kHz cutoff cannot be heard.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Not in this case, the 16kHz cutoff cannot be heard.

It's pretty obvious we're not discussing the 16kHz cutoff. Can't you see all the missing detail on the disc 2 track? Dark or black sections on a spectogram = less data. Even beneath the 16kHz cutoff (in the 'audible for human hearing' range, if you consider frequencies above 16kHz meaningless... which is subjective) there is a noticeable lack of detail compared to the equivalent track on disc 1 (also the sessions).

And people raised the audio quality of this track long before it was analysed visually to identify the differences.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Brundlefly said:

There are other spectographs that display the frequencies the way they are audible for the human ear and those indicate how the cutoff at 16kHz affects the listenability - not in the slightest, even if you are generally capable to hear tones beyond that mark.

Interesting. Which spectrographic presentations are you talking about?

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. Which spectrographic presentations are you talking about?

You can just switch the it's displayed in many programs (physical vs musical).

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's pretty obvious we're not discussing the 16kHz cutoff. Can't you see all the missing detail on the disc 2 track? Dark or black sections on a spectogram = less data. Even beneath the 16kHz cutoff (in the 'audible for human hearing' range, if you consider frequencies above 16kHz meaningless... which is subjective) there is a noticeable lack of detail compared to the equivalent track on disc 1 (also the sessions).

And people raised the audio quality of this track long before it was analysed visually to identify the differences.

I still don't think that's what the quality difference comes from. The "lack of detail" is all way above the 6kHz mark and that is where you hear nothing more than overtones already. So, I hear the quality difference, but I don't see it proven in the spectogram.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 2:52 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

...What annoys me is this gang of OCD people and their loud complaints when things aren't 100% chronological, or there's a second of music missing from the presentation.

Aka Every cue separatists

Aka C + C Crazies😡

• 8 months later...

Back in stock!

BACK IN STOCK! SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - SCHINDLER'S LIST - 2 MULES!

These acclaimed limited edition CD soundtracks are back in stock NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: 40th ANNIVERSARY (3-CD SET) by John Williams
SCHINDLER'S LIST: 25th ANNIVERSARY (2-CD SET) by John Williams
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA: 50th ANNIVERSARY (2-CD SET) by Ennio Morricone

SupermanTheMovieHiResiTunesWeb.jpg SchindlersListCover-Web.jpg twomules-cover_Web.jpg

Re-stocks on these titles always sell out quickly, so get yours now!

Also, our pricing on our KING COHEN and THE SPECIALS Blu-rays has been reduced to $15.98 each!

Coming 3/16: Our new releases of TIME TUNNEL VOL 1 (3-CD SET) and FRIDAY THE 13 PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN are available to order starting 3/16 at 12 noon pst!

© 2021 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, Schindler's List is a score that has really grown on me. Several years ago, I wrote on here that I wasn't a big fan of the score. But as I've gotten to know the score better beyond the opening "Theme" track, I've grown to love parts of it. "I Could Have Done More" is a case in point ("Making the List" is also incredible). This section in particular is devastatingly beautiful: 

3:38-3:50

Question: Is this insert included on the recording sessions, or only the LLL set? I know the sessions include an earlier insert, but do they include the bit I posted above? 

Nope, the final revised film version insert wasn't in the session leak and premiered on the LLL. 

The session leak only had the cue as recorded and the first version of the insert. 

The OST had the original cue with no inserts

The leak had that, and an early unused insert in a separate track (technically multiple takes of each in their own tracks) 

The LLL has that unused insert in its own track, as well as an edited track of the entire cue with the final film insert integrated (as well as the entire OST) 

There's nothing in the leak that isn't on the LLL, outside of source music, clean openings/endings, and takes / portions of takes not used on the OST or in the film

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Does anyone have the correct chronological order for the 2018 release of Schindler's List?

It's here

On 12/27/2018 at 7:17 AM, Jay said:

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's here

Thanks!

One doubt: according to the spreadsheet, the cue The Journey To Krakow (Introduction And Theme) doesn't have reel/part number. But was it used in the movie? Where should I put the corresponding LLL track in a chronological playlist?

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Thanks!

One doubt: according to the spreadsheet, the cue The Journey To Krakow (Introduction And Theme) doesn't have reel/part number. But was it used in the movie? Where should I put the corresponding LLL track in a chronological playlist?

It was recorded specifically for the album (that's why it appears under the "Concert Arrangement" header).  It doesn't appear in the film, and was not intended to.  You can put it anywhere you want; I'd recommend having it play first, as I think it sounds odd appearing anywhere else, but YMMV

I like the way Williams presented this track on the original album, right after Placing the Stones.

• 4 months later...

Dear MV

Are you able to provide replacements for the 2nd disc of Schindler's List that had sound issues on the 1st pressing?

I don't recall any issues

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Who's MV?

Michael V Gerhard, the co-owner of La-La Land Records (Matt Verboys is the other co-owner)

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

Wait, is the issue with disc 2 “solved” for those who purchases it now?

Yes

crumbs purchased it from Music Box Records this year, and received a new pressing

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

So, I’m stuck with my “faulty” dis because I  purchased on the day of release?

LLL has not announced a replacement plan for this title.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

crumbs purchased SL from Music Box Records this year, and received a fixed pressing

How do we know if we have a fixed pressing or not?

is there any different number on the cd?

Sorry, I'm late to this party but what exactly are the fixes in disc 2? MV does not seem to correctly recall. I have the first pressing and I still haven't found the mood to even open it. :pfft: