Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

I Could Have Done More (Film Version) sounds really compressed like a bad MP3 file.

Hmmm, I don't remember it sounding "really" compressed, but I haven't listened too closely in a while.

Of course it's unfortunate this wasn't the usual top-to-bottom job where the original tapes and pulled and transferred and everything is built from that, but I don't think the element they did use sounds as terrible as some people here say it does.  Of course, we're in the territory of opinion and everyone's ears being different now; there's no disputing that it has different sound than the 1993 album master nor that if it had been pulled from the original element it would end up sounding better.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, is it possible to create a truly complete score using both LLL and sessions? That other online place seemed to disagree...

Of course it is possible.  The same takes of the SCORE cues used in the film were either on the OST all along or now appear on disc 2.

If you're referring to SOURCE music, there MIGHT be some of the Williams-recorded stuff where the exact take heard in the film wasn't in the session leak (I can't recall), but as for the source music heard in the film that Williams didn't record, all those recordings tracked into the film were already on some commercial release somewhere (which would be how Spielberg heard them to begin with to know he wanted to put them in his film)

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Aren't those things on other releases though?

Yes.  Both recordings used in the film had already been released on other film's soundtrack CDs beforehand.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, I don't remember it sounding "really" compressed, but I haven't listened too closely in a while.

Yeah it's only the first part of the track (from 0:00 to 2:20) that sounds really bad to my ears.

24 minutes ago, Amer said:

You know all this flack over disc 2 has prevented me from opening my 2cd set. I've lost my nerve... (sigh) 

Some tracks aren't affected at all and it's still very nice to have additional music! The release is just not 100% perfect like other MM works.

I bet, sometime after Williams' death there will be a new release of that prestigeous score, inlcuding all the source music and completely remastered from the original session elements with consistent mixing - and everyone here will buy it again!

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I bet, sometime after Williams' death there will be a new release of that prestigeous score, inlcuding all the source music and completely remastered from the original session elements with consistent mixing - and everyone here will buy it again!

I'm OK with this one then!

35 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

and everyone here will buy it again!

You bet your ass we will!

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Not if we didn't buy it the first time around.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jay said:

Schindler's List was recorded onto analog tape that is perfectly vaulted at Universal with no issues.  Those original tapes were not pulled to assemble this release; they've probably been sitting in the same place since 1993.  I am sure some day in the future they will be pulled and a fresh and modern high res transfer will be made from those tapes, and a new definitive release will be created from that transfer, but that wasn't possible to do for this release.  I am sure LLL would have funded a transfer of those tapes, and MM would have built two CDs full of music from scratch using it if it were possible, but Williams wanted the OST on disc 1, and MM had to fight to get any kind of bonus tracks release at all, so Mike and I went through the possible alternate/film version cues to present to JW to potentially release on a second disc, and when he heard what Mike put together, he thankfully agreed.  If he hadn't, this would have been a single-disc straight OST reissue (with a new booklet).

Very late to this party, but it's curious that in this particular instance, Williams took persuasion to include anything more than the OST, where generally all of the other JW/MM expansions have been restored from tapes. It's like being back in Indy box territory again.

Is JW just really protective of this score and its presentation, moreso than other scores?

This and Saving Private Ryan, two Spielberg films that dealt with the war.

Not sure whether to pick this up, not at least until it has a proper expansion. 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Is JW just really protective of this score and its presentation, moreso than other scores?

Apparently so, yea

It's understandable. Last year I questioned how the entire score (including source music and a remaster of the OST, re-assembled from fresh scans of the master tapes) could fit on two discs -- but the writing was on the wall after what happened with SPR.

In hindsight, Schindler's List was never going to be a "bells and whistles" expansion. We already know from Spielberg's home video releases of the film that he's never been comfortable including the standard "bonus" content for this film, despite the (apparent) plethora of deleted scenes and behind-the-scenes footage that exists.

It would've been really nice to get fresh scans of the master tapes though -- many of these audio issues may have been avoided. How can the Schindler's List masters (dated from 1993) be in mint condition yet The Lost World multi-track masters (dated 1997) were shedding years ago -- and it was just luck that 1/4 inch stereo masters were salvageable for Mike to scan?

The only conclusion I can reach is that Williams wasn't interested in hearing this score with enhanced sound and perfect clarity; like with SPR, he was happy with the sonic quality of the previous release and didn't want the orchestrations any more detailed. I have to admit, even a cursory listen to the recording sessions brings out some unexpected details in the orchestra, certainly moreso than audible in the OST mastering.

But the new SPR presentation is just ridiculous. I'm prepared to understand SL, but SPR, sorry. Repeating a redundant track and concluding with two bonus cues? At least conclude with the hymn.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, Jay said:

Of course, we're in the territory of opinion and everyone's ears being different now; there's no disputing that it has different sound than the 1993 album master nor that if it had been pulled from the original element it would end up sounding better.

I’d think that some people who listen directly through their laptop (or earphones such as in-ear) would also have a problem hearing a difference.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The only conclusion I can reach is that Williams wasn't interested in hearing this score with enhanced sound and perfect clarity

I am guessing that JW was told that this was of standard CD release quality. Or why even mention about the quality at? No reason really to expect anything less than standard quality.

He might not even have heard the CD; he might’ve just signed off on the cues. Or if he heard it - since it doesn’t really affect the whole release, the difference would be hard to catch if you’re not looking for it.

It's also a huge shame that the score is still locked into a "low resolution" audio format, by modern standards. I would've thought all of Mike's JW expansions (bar SPR) have been scanned and remastered at high resolution, meaning they are safely preserved for future audio formats.

The entire score will require a ground-up remaster from the master tapes if there are any releases beyond the humble compact disc.

Perhaps SL & SPR are the way they are due to the huge undertaking of the Harry Potter box set?  I'm sure MM spent a lot of time getting that set put together so perhaps there wasn't as much time left in the day to come out with uber releases.