The Land Of The Giants - 4CD 50th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018) [features pilot score, main titles, and bumpers by John Williams]

Jay

Yes, you probably have to be a fan of the show to get this. I think I saw a few episodes in the mid 80s when it ran on Super Channel (along with the other Irwin Allen shows), but that's about it. I'm perfectly pleased with my LotG CD in the old Irwin Allen box set.

I will pass on this one too.

I will stick to Crescendo CD (That I never listened yet since I bough it few weeks ago... ooops):

R-10726282-1526679714-8662.jpeg.jpg

Whaaaat? Another JW release?!?!?!

I'm just scrolling down through the thread titles, and my jaw keeps dropping. 😂 

WTH is LLL thinking, releasing 3 JW boxsets on a single day? Now I know why they said this year will be one for the books! 

I'm not sure I'll get this one, though. Although a voice inside me keeps telling that I should....

39 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Whaaaat? Another JW release?!?!?!

I'm just scrolling down through the thread titles, and my jaw keeps dropping. 😂 

WTH is LLL thinking, releasing 3 JW boxsets on a single day? Now I know why they said this year will be one for the books! 

I'm not sure I'll get this one, though. Although a voice inside me keeps telling that I should....

Impressive releases for fans craving this, for sure. I'm sorta relieved none of it is for me; had it been a string of unreleased Williams scores, I could not have afforded it anyway. Phew!

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Impressive releases for fans craving this, for sure. I'm sorta relieved none of it is for me; had it been a string of unreleased Williams scores, I could not have afforded it anyway. Phew!

You dodged a bullet there Thor my man. ;) 

But this release is not for me. I have no connection to the TV show and already have the old GNP Crescendo release which is all I really need from this series.

I was just listening to the GNP disc a few weeks ago, wondering if we’d ever get a full release of this series.

Bummer that season 2 title will still have the sound effects. 

Sorry I had to break protocol and make a mild complaint for a change.

2 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I have no interest in this. In fact, for the most part, Williams pre-70s music doesn’t interest me much. 

That's what I said too 10 years ago. Now I collect everything from the maestro!

Neil S Bulk chimes in about the Season 2 Main Title

Oh well, the Season 2 theme without the cat noise must be lost.

Sadly, it is gone.

Neil

When I read that the sound fx were included, I immediately thought "if Neil Bulk couldn't find it, it's gone." Thanks!!

That's very flattering. We found one recording of it. It started off okay and then about 5 seconds in it just started degrading and getting worse and worse. It was totally unreleasable. I couldn't even use it to fill in the sections with the sound effects. It just died. It was heartbreaking.

But there's a ton of other music that was salvageable and that's what's on this album. Enjoy!

Neil

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=132259&forumID=1&archive=0

I guess I'll be buying this... Eventually. Maybe early next year. But not on release day. I'll be too busy listening to Harry Potter (and Schindler's List).  God, what a combo! 

Gotta carefully decide when to listen to each. Harry Potter all day, and after 10 pm Schindler's List, maybe. Something like that. 

PS. By the way, I love cats! Guess that's why I'm getting this.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:48 PM, Balahkay said:

I have no interest in this. In fact, for the most part, Williams pre-70s music doesn’t interest me much. Maybe that’ll change as I age into my golden years.

It should.

I've never understood why some Williams fans -- even after having collected him for years -- still circle around the same ol' classics over and over again. They know every single detail about each second of a STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER, but then it kinda ends there. One would think the urge to explore more of his output would become stronger at some point?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Local man doesn't understand why other humans hold some different opinions than he does, news at 11.

Don't be ridiculous. That's not what I said at all. I'm just fascinated by the whole phenomenon, since it's such a natural urge to explore more styles or periods of an artist once you've been a hardcore fan for years -- beyond what once you drew you to him or her. People are obviously free to do whatever they want; or to explore as narrow an output as they wish. It has nothing to do with opinions, it's more about mindsets, really.

I think in those cases it's more of a strange autistic attachment to the movies that has resulted in the obsession with the music.

LOTG is best (only?) known for its kooky season 2 theme with an irritating cat sound effect. The incidental music I've heard on the old CD is pretty bland and forgettable.

The main reason why I'm uninterested in Williams' pre-70's work is that I don't like most of what I've heard.  Maybe my tastes and interests in his music will change as I get older, but for now, I'm mostly interested in his post-Jaws work.

15 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

The main reason why I'm uninterested in Williams' pre-70's work is that I don't like most of what I've heard.  Maybe my tastes and interests in his music will change as I get older, but for now, I'm mostly interested in his post-Jaws work.

It's OK. It's not "wrong" to come from that angle or anything. We all have preferences. But I think you'll find that as you get older and more into JW's work, the desire to explore more from his past; or from other things beyond what first drew you to him, will set in. Or at least hopefully it will.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Then we have normal people, who can love and be interested in talking about both How to Steal a Million and Harry Potter.

I love those! Underrated people. :D

This set has a tough time competiting, coming out on the same day as HP and SL! 

Wonder how many of this set were sold. I'll probably get it next year, if it's not sold out by then.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

This set has a tough time competiting, coming out on the same day as HP and SL! 

Wonder how many of this set were sold. I'll probably get it next year, if it's not sold out by then.

It's really targeted at a completely different audience, and not one that necessarily would buy the HP and SL albums. So I'm sure it's sold relatively well.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated many times before, if you wanted this before Christmas it was wise to order it through us. We are literally sending out a few thousand of these things along with the other cds released. We are getting to them as quickly as we can. Our crew are working until 9...10 PM some nights processing and packing. Please be patient.

As always, please read statements carefully. We stated it will start shipping on Dec 7. START. So folks who just ordered Harry by itself, or with CDs that were in stock along with it have had their orders sent out...most of them. Our plant is literally feeding us 100s of boxes a day. We should get the rest of them this afternoon. Mr. Williams and I don't even have copies yet. Lol

Still waiting on Giants to come in and the rest of Dracula (don ask...blame the CD plants shutting down in the US).

Most stores were sent out Schindler and TWINE this week. 

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=132262&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=353#bottom