The Land Of The Giants - 4CD 50th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018) [features pilot score, main titles, and bumpers by John Williams]

Jay

It's funny how in all these old shows from the 60s, characters all wore the same types of costumes.

Did they just have a generic costume department for every show and reuse them with minor changes?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:21 AM, crumbs said:

Did they just have a generic costume department for every show and reuse them with minor changes?

It's possible.

I just want to say that this boxset is not on this website yet... that's not a good sign.

What's the % of music composed by Williams on this box?

51 minutes ago, LaloCoyoacan said:

IMG_1500.jpg

Nice!

Still debating whether to order this. Would you recommend it? Is the music worth getting, if you don't know the series at all?

To be honest, I haven’t heard it all. Just the Williams’ and some random stuff, which had been ok for me but not enough to recomend buying it. The most played album these days has been Bram Stoker’s Dracula, a lot more than any Harry Potter of the box set

• 1 year later...

Just ordered duplicate copies of the 15 CD Star Trek TOS Box Set, and the Land of the Giants 4 CD Box Set. I love these recordings, and will hold on to them until they go out of print, and then hope to make a few extra bucks for doing so. I speculate on the soundtracks I believe in.

Smart thinking. I believe we have less than 100 units on both now

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=139722&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=458#bottom

I never bought it before because of the price, and because I’m only interested in the JW material.

But now it’s 30% off, LLL’s business seems to be suffering, and it’s almost out of print forever... so yeah it’s circumstantial temptation. 

On 4/9/2020 at 6:23 AM, rough cut said:

FOMO

But if there were 1 000 of these in stock, would you buy it?

No, I'm content with the cues in the Irwin Allen box. As with Koray, I'm really only interested in the JW material. But just for curiousity's sake, I would be willing to sample the LLL were it available digitally.

So, would I.

I was more commenting on the human inclination to buy something, if only we’re told that this is the ’last chance’ or if the supply is ‘limited’.

It’s called scarcity marketing and it works extremely well - be it true or not - if the good on sale is “scarce”.

A good way to get around it is to ask one self about the good that it concerns: “Would I spend my money on this right now if there were an unlimited supply?

If you answer “no”, then it might be that your mind is playing a trick on you.

I was not trying to be a dick, just trying to help out.

Koray’s comment that he wants to support a failing business is something else though, you can’t fault that.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, rough cut said:

So, would I.

I was more commenting on the human inclination to buy something, if only we’re told that this is the ’last chance’ or if the supply is ‘limited’.

It’s called scarcity marketing and it works extremely well - be it true or not - if the good on sale is “scarce”.

A good way to get around it is to ask one self about the good that it concerns: “Would I spend my money on this right now if there were an unlimited supply?

If you answer “no”, then it might be that your mind is playing a trick on you.

I was not trying to be a dick, just trying to help out.

Koray’s comment that he wants to support a failing business is something else though, you can’t fault that.

All true; I didn’t mean to sound snarky or anything. I always found it fascinating how 24-hour sell outs disappeared once Intrada stopped announcing the number of copies their releases were limited to.

FSM took advantage of this marketing by pressing 10,000 copies of scores that were “limited to 3,000.” Basic supply and demand!

On 4/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, bollemanneke said:

I'd never ever buy something just because it's my last chance. If I wanted it, I would have got it as soon as I could.

Some people can’t afford to buy the things they want immediately. 

https://mailchi.mp/b42bfab8af75/50-off-select-la-la-land-records-cds?e=4e86e6ae9f

50% OFF SELECT LA LA LAND RECORDS CDS!

Use Code LALA5020 at checkout!

Discount begins Tuesday, April 14th and ends Monday, April 20th at midnight Eastern. 
Discount is only applicable to orders placed during the promotional period.

4CD The Land of the Giants - 50th Anniversary Edition is included too!

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/36549/LAND-OF-THE-GIANTS-50TH-ANNIVERSARY-SOUNDTRACK-COLLECTION-4-CD-1000-EDITION/

• 3 months later...

Hahaha, digging up an old quote like that! :)

Well, it seems to me that rationalization usually takes place after a decision/action is made, to try and justify that behavior (aka post-rationalization, the explanation follows decision-making).

Koray’s statement is still made during the decision making process (sometimes pre-rationalization, usually based on emotion and cognitive bias) and it seems he’s weeding out his values and lands in a decision rooted in moral justification (which is a kind of rationalization) to use as a basis before the decision is made.

So I guess it’s an emotional response (that he “likes” LLL and their products, and wants to “save” them from an impeding bankruptcy), as well as the fact that he probably harbors a bias towards saving LLL (over other failing businesses) and also (perhaps) an unconscious bias towards an outdated business model - based on fear of change (denial/frustration) - to some degree certainly fueled by nostalgia;)

It’s business as usual, we’re all the same. :)

• 2 years later...

So.... does anybody have an opinions on the music on this release?  I don't think anybody ever posted any at all!