Wojciech Kilar's Dracula (1992) - 3CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

Well, I think that can be a value sometimes -- especially when it's a recurrent motif that's supposed to mirror this insistant dark force that just won't let go (as the Depp character falls deeper and deeper into the occult). Not everything needs to be super original or complex all the time. I think it's my favourite Kilar composition.

Finished the bonus track section.  Wow, there's some cool stuff in there, some things more powerful and impactful than the main program versions.

Next up is the OST!

OK, finished the OST album now.  Wow, I liked it, I'm surprised this never came into my radar at any point until now

There are some really goofy and clunky edits though, like these weird abrupt shifts from one idea to another mid-track, but overall it generally had a good flow to it and covered a lot of the major things I remembered from the main program.

Oh, and I liked the Annie Lenox song too!

Trying out the extended suits at the end of disc 3 now

Tomorrow I'll try that playlist up above of the intended OST!

Why did that version of the OST get changed to the final version?

On 1/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Try having it on in the background an evening.

Ok. I listened to most of the OST again. 

First thing, it is better than it was in my memory. Second thought was, this was obviously a blueprint for the Penny Dreadful score that I like a lot.

Third thought, the music is still rough and  quite primitive, sure on purpose. The music is very, how Shark put it once, monophonic. Obviously, Coppola wanted something permanently pointing to the beast inside the man.

Still the music could have been much more original than it is I think. It is like a canvas filled with a few distinct dark colours but no shapes.

At the time I was comparing it to Williams' Dracula score and there Killar Lost completely. 

On 1/11/2021 at 9:23 AM, jacksparrow900 said:

I have the demo cassette of what OST was originally suppose to be 

1. Dracula The Beginning   (Disc 1 track 1)

2. Vampire Hunters (Disc 3 Track 2)

3. Mina/Jonathan  (Disc 3 Track 20)

4. The Legacy (Disc 1 Track 4)

5. Mina/Elizabeta (Disc 3 Track 7)

6. Lucy's Party (Disc 3 Track 4)

7. The Fatal Step (Disc 1 Track 21)

8. The Storm (Disc 1 Track 10)

9. Rules Cafe Waltz (Disc 3 Track 18)

10. Love Remembered (Disc 1 Track 12)

11. The Hunt Builds (Disc 1 Track 20)

12. Lucy's Screech (Disc 2 Track 15)

13. The Hunter's Prelude (Disc 3 Track 9)

14. The Green Mist (Disc 3 Track 10)

15. Mina/Dracula (Disc 3 Track 11)

16. Ring Of Fire (Disc 2 Track 4)

17. Race Against The Sunset (Disc 2 Track 5)

18. Love Eternal (Disc 3 Track 13)

19. Ascension (Disc 2 Track 7)

20. End Credits (Disc 3 Track 5)

Trying this playlist now!

I just finished it.  I think it's certainly the best experience I had with the score yet!

Whether that's because this is now my fourth time checking out the score (first - LLL main program, second - LLL bonus track program, 3rd - original OST program), or if its truly the best representation of all the highlights or whatever, but I think I found it the least repetitive of all 4 options, and just the most generally satisfying.  I never knew I'd like this gothic sound so much!

On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, jacksparrow900 said:

I have the demo cassette of what OST was originally suppose to be 

1. Dracula The Beginning   (Disc 1 track 1)

2. Vampire Hunters (Disc 3 Track 2)

3. Mina/Jonathan  (Disc 3 Track 20)

4. The Legacy (Disc 1 Track 4)

5. Mina/Elizabeta (Disc 3 Track 7)

6. Lucy's Party (Disc 3 Track 4)

7. The Fatal Step (Disc 1 Track 21)

8. The Storm (Disc 1 Track 10)

9. Rules Cafe Waltz (Disc 3 Track 18)

10. Love Remembered (Disc 1 Track 12)

11. The Hunt Builds (Disc 1 Track 20)

12. Lucy's Screech (Disc 2 Track 15)

13. The Hunter's Prelude (Disc 3 Track 9)

14. The Green Mist (Disc 3 Track 10)

15. Mina/Dracula (Disc 3 Track 11)

16. Ring Of Fire (Disc 2 Track 4)

17. Race Against The Sunset (Disc 2 Track 5)

18. Love Eternal (Disc 3 Track 13)

19. Ascension (Disc 2 Track 7)

20. End Credits (Disc 3 Track 5)

Was the "Dracula- The Beggining" the expanded version or the same as the OST track? It seems pretty much like a perfect playlist, although it seems to be missing The Brides (and I adore the B section of that theme, with the rising cellos and basses).

I just know the OST for know, I like the tension that comes from the repetitive rhythms. 

Kilar was what, 60 yo when he wrote that score? Great.

It's one of the most vivid memories I have of watching a movie for the first time and being completely enraptured by the score. From the very start, with those alternating low piano crashes and bass notes, I was hooked.

57 minutes ago, Romão said:

Was the "Dracula- The Beggining" the expanded version or the same as the OST track? It seems pretty much like a perfect playlist, although it seems to be missing The Brides (and I adore the B section of that theme, with the rising cellos and basses).

It's different from what was on the OST. On the OST it's the film version. The Brides is the last track even though it says end credits

The only part I didn't like in the movie, was the "wolf-vision" accelerated plans.

For me accelerated plans refers to old failed cascade effects in 60-70s movies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's certainly a 25 stars scores out of 25.8069.  A favourite Top 666 score for me.

It has something the best Morricone's score have too: the forward movement. The movement of the beast. By moments the music is alienating, hyponitic because of this repeating movement that goes forward and forward.

It took an old hand like Kilar to find the right tone that fits perfectly with the tension of Coppola's film.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 16/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, Amer said:

Any one know how to render ‘Lucy’s Lullaby’ as it’s done in the film ? It was processed electronically or something.

It seems @jacksparrow900 actually figured out the general approach for it:

If you listen to the center channel on the 5.1 mix it sounds like the normal track add in the rear and front channels and they sound in. a different pitch which they just mixed over the normal pitch creating an eerie track.

It doesn't sound quite exact, but I imagine that's because of the applied reverb/echo in the film mix. Definitely is good enough for me at least.

• 1 month later...

The final batch of Bram Stoker's Dracula is finally in stock! We won't start shipping until Jan 3, 2023 but place your order now if you want one before he's gone for good!

https://lalalandrecords.com/bram-stokers-dracula-limited-edition-3-cd-set/

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150084&forumID=1&archive=0

Still mystified by why the Race Against the Sunset cue was omitted from the original CD. It was the most obvious highlight missing from an already generous album.

Getting Kilar to score the film was an absolutely brilliant move by Coppola. Not surprising that Jackson explored getting him to do LOTR with Shore's score exhuding some of those dark earthly tones as well

• 5 months later...

THE FOLLOWING TITLES ARE GOING OUT OF PRINT ON 6/30/23 (or when the stock sells out...whichever happens first)

LESS THAN 200 UNITS REMAIN

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (3-CD SET)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151424&forumID=1&archive=0