Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I guess I'll have to wait for the second batch when the put the correct title on PS

:lol: 

If my graphic designer's eye has to nitpick: The spine logos on the promo shot don't line up. While the pattern at the bottom all line up, the HP logo on the POA is offset a bit, as is the LLL Records line on the COS spine. Might be just a problem with the promo image though, because I doubt this would have happened, since they were all designed as a trio.

100 USD sounds expensive, but actually it's a bargain! Slightly over 14 USD per CD. 

The most coveted set for any serious JW fan! Once it's oop in a few years, I assume it'll sell on the second market for 500 USD and more.

25 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Ah, that's an important thing to know... Ordering directly from US is a pain nowadays for us Europeans. Customs now always block packages and also there's the hassle of the Christmas weeks timeframe that could complicate matters. But for this one I might try ordering it directly from LLL and hopefully it'll arrive without much problems.

LLL will write "commercial sample" on the package if you ask them to, and zero value.

How well does LLL package their box sets for shipping? Anyone had any issues before? 

I ordered my IJ collection from SAE back when it was released in 2008, and despite my asking for extra padding they didn't bother and I ended up with dinged corners on the box and digipaks / booklet.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just did. I bought seven albums in one order for a higher price than the HP box, and they did it for me.

oh, so you never had problems with customs ordering from them?

I may buy then directly from them.

I'll try it with a smaller sum.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

The only speciality release I can recall being hit by customs was the MOH box that I ordered from Creature Features (for the signatures).

Never by LLL.

Ditto. LLL luckily marks a token price on the package so it never gets caught in the customs here for value added tax etc.

I musr say that I've always been lucky not to have packages blocked at customs every time I ordered from US (except once, many years ago), but now it's been almost 3 years since the last time I ordered something directly from US (I think it was the 1941 expanded edition). I know friends in Italy who ordered stuff from Varèse and Intrada had packages blocked at customs for several weeks before being noticed to pay an extra 20 Euros or something. Actually my main concern on ordering from US now is the time of the year. Christmas is a hassle for postal services around the world and packages get lost or damaged in the process, so I would gladly wait for January to order both the HP set and SL, but I don't know how long the HP set will last. We'll see!

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I musr say that I've always been lucky not to have packages blocked at customs every time I ordered from US (except once, many years ago), but now it's been almost 3 years since the last time I ordered something directly from US (I think it was the 1941 expanded edition). I know friends in Italy who ordered stuff from Varèse and Intrada had packages blocked at customs for several weeks before being noticed to pay an extra 20 Euros or something. Actually my main concern on ordering from US now is the time of the year. Christmas is a hassle for postal services around the world and packages get lost or damaged in the process, so I would gladly wait for January to order both the HP set and SL, but I don't know how long the HP set will last. We'll see!

Interestingly enough all my postal hassles with the specialty label packages have always been here in Finland, never on the way here.

US packages do not have VAT calculated so if the price marked on the package is over 25 €, it ends up in the customs for them to levy VAT on the package. We only have to pay for actual customs for packages of over 150€.

1 hour ago, Iron_Giant said:

LLL's computers are going to be ready for hundreds of people simultaneously placing orders at 12 noon on Tuesday, I imagine? Right?? Because, no joke, that's precisely what's going to happen.

It's 5,000 copies! 

It won't sell out on the first day. 😂 It'll probably take a few years...

The missing recordings/unknown recordings material on Sorcerer's Stone (if I have it right):

KNOWN MISSING RECORDINGS:

1) Logo Alternate (not sure if the used logo will be merged with 'The Prologue - Privet Drive', and the one on Disc 3 is actually the alternate)

2) Diagon Alley Alternate (there were two full recordings of the same cue with different performance qualities of the middle violin bit, not to mention the golden recordings of Williams conducting just the tricky violin bit

3) Lonely Night Alternate (was there ever actually an alternate to this cue, or am I misremembering?)

4) Owl's Flight Alternate (three full recordings of the alternate to 'A Change Of Season' (two failed takes). One of the good three has a miniscule, teeny-tiny melodic variation on Hedwig's theme, which I hope they put on here!)

UNKNOWN INCLUDED RECORDINGS:

1) Hedwig’s Theme for Harp

2) Teaser (THANK GOD)
3) Hogwarts Forever [Vocal Version]
4) Trailer

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So will the liner notes confirm Williams composed all of   CoS?

That is indeed one of the most burning questions concerning CoS. Williams or Ross or both? And if both how is the credit to be divided?

Ah who cares as long as the music is all there! :P 

I know, I know it is a deluxe box with fancy covers, liner notes and all but the actual music is the centerpiece.

But to my eyes the whole box looks pretty perfect in content and visual presentation.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

So what else is left? Not much.

The Star Wars prequels. The new Trilogy. Indiana Jones, along with KotcS. The Oliver Stone trilogy. 

That's pretty much it, as far as holy grails go.

More always more! Give us everything! Complete and chronological!

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Ah who cares as long as the music is all there! :P 

I know, I know it is a deluxe box with fancy covers, liner notes and all but the actual music is the centerpiece.

But to my eyes the whole box looks pretty perfect in content and visual presentation.

Well, aside from the incorrect title for the first film! 

1 minute ago, Laserschwert said:

I'm pretty sure they'll wait on an Indy boxset until Indy 5 is done.

That's not even certain! 

Besides, a boxset of soundtracks of 5 major JW scored movies seems a little too much of a giant project. 

2 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

This production looks like pure class. I couldn't have hoped for anything better. Talk about pulling out all the stops! 7 discs, hours of new material, reams of liner notes, top-shelf packaging... $100 for all this is a BARGAIN and that is an incontrovertible fact. I really believe this will sell out before we know it.

I’m not liking the artwork on the CDs...

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The Star Wars prequels. The new Trilogy. Indiana Jones, along with KotcS. The Oliver Stone trilogy. 

Hook. Far and Away.

24 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

well my holy grails of Williams would be non-expansions.