Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

I wonder if the set includes the alternate 'Remembering Mother' and 'The Train to Hogwarts'. And 'Something Wicked Intro'.

Also this source flute solo:

Oh, man, Azkaban is filled with awesome source music.

Either way the set looks fantastic! A must-have!

I'm sure glad they released the three important Harry Potter scores first and now, because of what nothing leaked for 3. If they're working on lavish boxes for the rest of the series, the hype and anticipation is much more controllable, if you're even into the post-Williams scores. 

34 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

FYI, both Music Box Records and Chris' Soundtrack Corner are already listing it as a pre-order (along with all the other BF LLL titles), with an estimated arrival at their office by Dec 14.

Is it confirmed that this will be available only through LLL, at least initially?

Nobody would pre-order from them if they told the truth, with Christmas coming up.

So... probably a dumb question, since there's no indication on LLL's website, but does anyone know if LLL has some sort of express shipping option?? I'm going to be in the LA area for work from Nov 27th to Dec 2nd (though those dates ara probably too soon for this set anyway) and I'd love to get it then. I live in Mexico and getting these CDs is always a pain. I order from Movie music, and Peter Kelly is a great guy, but Mexico's post service is awful, it's expensive and it takes forever. The JP and ET sets took like two months to get here and disappered from tracking for a long time.

Also, we have a new president that is not "market friendly" to put it lighty and the dollar has already gone up and is going to keep going up, so by the time Movie music gets this set it might be too expensive.

Instant buy of course.

Also can't wait for the individual scores to be released a few years later, like with Superman. Gotta double dip I guess. Because individually, I would have just bought PoA.

52 minutes ago, Once said:

I wonder if the set includes the alternate 'Remembering Mother' and 'The Train to Hogwarts'. And 'Something Wicked Intro'. 

Also this source flute solo:

These are literally my only concerns with the entire set (which otherwise looks flawless). Based simply on the track times, it appears all 4 are missing. 😢 The thing that concerns me most is track 7, Double Trouble, having an identical duration as the OST track of the same name. I'll be devastated if Something Wicked Intro was completely omitted in favour of the existing OST track; it's one of my most soughted unreleased Williams cues (along with The Journey to Hogwarts!)

Apparition on the Train (Film Version) is only 3 seconds longer than the OST version of the same name... so I'm not sure where The Journey to Hogwarts fits in here. Hopefully the "Film Version" of this cue has The Journey to Hogwarts appended at the start and the rest is just shorter than the version on disc two. It seems if any alternates were recorded for the latter cue, they haven't been included.

If I had to guess, The Wizards’ Consort is probably the source music from The Leaky Couldron right before the cue Discussing Black. The flute solo source appears to be missing, unless it's appended somewhere.

There also appear to be a few alternates from the OST that weren't included here, including the end credits without film insert, plus the original version of The Big Doors. I'm thinking the alternate bats cue (already on the OST) is Saving Buckbeak [Alternate Segment].  The alternate Chasing Scabbers is presumably Lupin’s Transformation [Alternate].

24 minutes ago, Diego said:

does anyone know if LLL has some sort of express shipping option??

Nope, no express shipping. First come, first served, standard shipping only.

WOW!!!!

My intuition came true (though I was wrong about Superman: The Movie, but that will probably be released sometime in 2019)! As with all releases from the Maestro, I am most definitely getting this. This along with Schindler's List and the Maestro's music from Land of the Giants is absolutely perfect. When MV and La-La Land Records said that 2018 would be a year for the books when it comes to working with the Maestro, they definitely meant it. Saving Private Ryan, this, Schindler's List, not to mention The Cowboys and Dracula released via Varése Sarabande. This is phenomenal! Looking forward to 2019.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

@Jay has said that MV has confirmed that these sets will be sold exclusively through LLL's own store until some point in 2019. 

Thanks. 

I guess they expect a large amount of orders and rightfully want to have the first stock available for them. Let’s hope their server will be up to the challenge next Tuesday!

Anyway, it’s enough chit-chat about shipping woes. I’m sure everyone will get their copy. Let’s talk about the music—I want to hear that version of Hedwig’s Theme for harp.

23 minutes ago, Diego said:

So... probably a dumb question, since there's no indication on LLL's website, but does anyone know if LLL has some sort of express shipping option?? I'm going to be in the LA area for work from Nov 27th to Dec 2nd (though those dates ara probably too soon for this set anyway) and I'd love to get it then. I live in Mexico and getting these CDs is always a pain. I order from Movie music, and Peter Kelly is a great guy, but Mexico's post service is awful, it's expensive and it takes forever. The JP and ET sets took like two months to get here and disappered from tracking for a long time.

Also, we have a new president that is not "market friendly" to put it lighty and the dollar has already gone up and is going to keep going up, so by the time Movie music gets this set it might be too expensive.

Are you the same Diego that used to post here a LOT up until several years ago? 

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Thanks. 

I guess they expect a large amount of orders and rightfully want to have the first stock available for them. Let’s hope their server will be up to the challenge next Tuesday!

Anyway, it’s enough chit-chat about shipping woes. I’m sure everyone will get their copy. Let’s talk about the music—I want to hear that version of Hedwig’s Theme for harp.

Yes. Let the speculation begin! Or @Jay can just spoil it all for us

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Are you the same Diego that used to post here a LOT up until several years ago? 

Probably... I don't think there are many Diegos from Mexico here. I have a full time job and twin toddler boys, so I hardly have time to listen to music these days, let alone post about it (I think I've listened to the JP and ET sets like 3 times each, and I haven't even got the White album 50 anniversary set yet, which is shameful for me), but this is a monumental relase afterall, probably the most exiting for me since the Concord Indy set, so I took the time to post, I figured I'd asked since I'll be in LA next week.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Couldn't that Double Trouble Version II be hidden in the Trouble Takes Many Forms suite?

Possibly. So it’d be Something Wicked Intro, Dumbledores Warning, then the Common Room cue (can’t recall the name at the moment)

2 minutes ago, Diego said:

this is a monumental relase afterall, probably the most exiting for me since the Concord Indy set, so I took the time to post, I figured I'd asked since I'll be in LA next week.

Yeah, agreed! Maybe as exciting as the release of the Jurassic Park Collection as well! 

Great times.

14 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Thanks. 

Not to mention Hogwarts Forever vocal version!

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Couldn't that Double Trouble Version II be hidden in the Trouble Takes Many Forms suite?

Not sure. Something Wicked Intro is about 1:00. Dumbledore's Warning is about 0:48. Entering the Rooms is about 0:20.

Trouble Takes Many Forms is 1:52 ... unless Entering the Rooms has been omitted?

The next track (Rainy Nights, Dementors and Birds, 1:03) seems to be the last minute of OST Track 9 Secrets of the Castle (which is 1:03).

It does look like some complimentary cues have been combined outside of chronological order, such as The Grim / The Newspaper. The former cue, in chronological order, belongs before The Hippogriff Lesson. The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan is a strange one; that should go after Buckbeak’s Flight but instead appears before The Hippogriff Lesson.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Something Wicked isn't 1:00. It's an intro +second stanza and chorus from Double Trouble.

Yeah 1 minute combined at most if you count the film versions.

Just seeing these on my phone as I’m visiting family out of state for thanksgiving...  holy crap!!!  Definite day 1 buy for me as well as SL and Superman II/III.  Where’s S:TM?  Wonder why it would be delayed and miss the 40/80th anniversary?!  That’s the only minor setback for me to an otherwise momentous day!  Thank you LLL!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Something Wicked isn't 1:00. It's an intro +second stanza and chorus from Double Trouble.

Literally just checked the film to get that timing. Intro cue begins at 23:48 (shot of Harry reacting to the news that nobody was screaming in the carriage). Student chorus finishes singing at exactly 24:44, not including 3-4 seconds for the music to fade out. It's a minute long all up.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

But Someting Wicked isn't what you're describing here. SW is just that intro, nothing more. The choir is Double Trouble.

Quite.

I am going by Datameister's old edit including mock-ups and DVD rips with sfxs for the timing of the cues.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

And the worrying begins!

Trust me,

It's all good, man!

Jay's right. And just becuase they're good sports LLL might even add this as a bonus track to reassure everyone that it's complete.

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But Someting Wicked isn't what you're describing here. SW is just that intro, nothing more. The choir is Double Trouble.

Sorry, I think we just have different definitions of the cue in question. For me, the film version of Double Trouble should just be the one minute excerpt in the film (intro + the 30-odd seconds of Double Trouble). I just can't work out where the Something Wicked Intro actually fits into the tracklist.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

You guys are funny.

There is nothing on the Azkaban OST that is not on the new set.

There is no score you can hear in the film that is not on the new set.

No worries!

Thank you Jason, definitely reassuring news before bed! :)

Curious to see where the original version of The Big Doors fits into that additional music section, or the flute solo source music, or the end credits opener sans film insert. The other alternates seem more straightforward.

WHAT!?!? I was looking forward to mutilating myself with chocolate frogs...:(

Looks like an excellent release! Really, if you think about it, that's less than $15 USD per disc, so that's a great price all things considered! I won't be able to afford it until at least December or January, though.

Congratulations to @Jay on his efforts, and his ability to keep NDA!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

And the worrying begins!

Trust me,

There is nothing on the Azkaban OST that is not on the new set.

There is no Williams score in the film that is not on the new set.

It's all good, man!

This is so exciting. Are you including source music? There is quite a bit in Azkaban.

You know what else is curious about Azkaban? There’s “Teaser” and “Trailer”.

As far as I recall, there was only the double trouble teaser...wonder what the trailer is

10 minutes ago, Once said:

This is so exciting. Are you including source music? There is quite a bit in Azkaban.

I trust Jay. It’s on there.