Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Only the last 40 seconds is Williams music -- and it just sounds like an excerpt from one of the first two scores.

The last 40 seconds is Reunion of Friends from CoS!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

At first glance, 2m3 The Train to Hogwarts Version I and 3m10 Remembering Mother appear to not have been recorded after all

I'm pretty sure Version 1 is what was used in the movie.

3 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I'm pretty sure Version 1 is what was used in the movie.

Interesting, are you basing this off the sheet music? Perhaps Journey to Hogwarts Version 2 was never recorded? Why was a V2 written in the first place unless someone wasn't happy with V1? Surely it was recorded.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Might be worth trying to sync it up. I always thought it was “Chasing Scabbers” too but it would have had to be for a longer sequence that got cut way down. As is may more accurately match them running from the werewolf.

According to Jay's cue list, the cues are presented in reverse order on the OST and the Lupin's Transformation excerpt on the OST is an alternate. I also think Chasing Scabbers was cut down/dialled out in the final mix, giving the impression the film version is an alternate (but it isn't). It's a self contained cue that fits right between Buckbeak's Sentence and The Whomping Willow.

48. Chasing Scabbers 1:28 CD Track 14b [1:33-end]
49. The Whomping Willow 1:20 CD Track 08a [0:00-1:20]
50. Finding Ron 1:06 Unreleased
51. Inside the Shrieking Shack 5:17 Unreleased
52. Harry & Sirius 1:43 Unreleased
53. The Werewolf Scene 4:25 CD Track 16 (alternate)
54. The Dementors Converge 3:12 CD Track 19
55. Forward to Time Past 2:33 CD Track 18
56. Outside Hagrid's 2:53 Unreleased
57. Saving Buckbeak 4:21 CD Track 17b [2:18-end] (alternate ending)
58. Werewolf Scene Again 1:58 CD Track 14a [0:00-1:33] (alternate) + Unreleased (0:25)

Maybe the pizzicato strings ARE an alternate but Williams liked it enough to include it with the final version on the OST? Both sections are about the same length, 20 seconds.

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting, are you basing this off the sheet music? Perhaps Journey to Hogwarts Version 2 was never recorded? Why was a V2 written in the first place unless someone wasn't happy with V1? Surely it was recorded.

Yeah, I'm using the sheets. I can't read music but the audio matches up to V1; in V2, the woodwinds bleed into the harpsichord, and the harpsichord doesn't have accompanying tremolos.

8 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

The placement suggests it could be the Strings Overlay from Jay's List 

I just checked the film again and you could be right. So the cue that opens OST Lupin's Transformation isn't actually the first transformation scene, it's the second (the version where Harry and Hermione are observing while time travelling). The pizzicato strings are a weird stylistic choice but they do fit with the imagery of H&H running away from the werewolf (which was replaced in the final film by ROTS-esque percussion).

This would seem to be the alternate Lupin's Transformation in the additional music section, and was seemingly Williams' original intention for the cue (based on the cue list, 7m2A String Overlay). Weirdly no revision is listed in the cue list but that's hardly unusual -- these things are often incomplete.

41 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Never thought about it. Strange to think they might have considered that little scherzo instead, making their scrambling slightly more comic. Like Indy running from the villagers. It is sort of a funny beat with Hermione inadvertently calling it over but probably a better call to just keep the intensity up.

That's what I suppose. The pizzicato strings are definitely not a part of Chasing Scabbers!

The buckbeak execution cue and Chasing Scabbers are played back to back in the film. No time for the pizzicato part in-between.

Plus the track Chasing Scabbers on this expansion is 1:08 and Chasing Scabbers on the OST (after the pizzicato strings) is ~1:05, so the pizzicato strings definitely seem unrelated. Most likely they are appended to Lupin's Transformation.

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

48. Chasing Scabbers 1:28 CD Track 14b [1:33-end]
49. The Whomping Willow 1:20 CD Track 08a [0:00-1:20]
50. Finding Ron 1:06 Unreleased
51. Inside the Shrieking Shack 5:17 Unreleased
52. Harry & Sirius 1:43 Unreleased
53. The Werewolf Scene 4:25 CD Track 16 (alternate)
54. The Dementors Converge 3:12 CD Track 19
55. Forward to Time Past 2:33 CD Track 18
56. Outside Hagrid's 2:53 Unreleased
57. Saving Buckbeak 4:21 CD Track 17b [2:18-end] (alternate ending)
58. Werewolf Scene Again 1:58

CD Track 14a [0:00-1:33] (alternate) + Unreleased (0:25)

I'm quite sure the orange part is wrong. The transition between the two cues on the OST track is at 1:57 which has always been quite clear, regarding the scenes in the movie.

OMG what was that? Was that in the sessions? Don't remember ever hearing that before!

Hey, it's Mike Matessino! Introducing a never-before-heard cue! Vocal version of Hogwarts Forever!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Here's the vocal version, complete with forum blip when a crackpot with a cat gif avatar replied to the thread - at least we have the clean version to look forward to!

Oops.

10 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm quite sure the orange part is wrong. The transition between the two cues on the OST track is at 1:57 which has always been quite clear, regarding the scenes in the movie. 

Not necessarily. 0:00-1:33 of that track is the film version, followed by (seemingly) an alternate (the pizzicato strings) from 1:33 to 1:57. The equivalent film version is unreleased. The music that follows is Chasing Scabbers on the LLL release.

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Of course! Never tickle a sleeping dragon! That's what I struggled with.

Hogwarts Forever

Hogwarts Forever

I'm Not Recording Remembering Mother Version 1 During the Azkaban Sessions

Nor The Journey to Hogwarts Version 2

Just to annoy you

Just to annoy you!

Hogwarts Forever

Hogwarts Forever!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Of course! Never tickle a sleeping dragon! That's what I struggled with.

My Latin teacher actually used the phrase in a class once to teach us some grammar. 

Just now, crumbs said:

Not necessarily. 0:00-1:33 of that track is the film version, followed by (seemingly) an alternate (the pizzicato strings) from 1:33 to 1:57. The equivalent film version is unreleased. The music that follows is Chasing Scabbers on the LLL release.

The only remaining question is, whether there are two versions of the first 1:30 of Lupin's Transformation or whether it's only the last 0:30 (percussion/pizzicato) that got changed.

Hogwarts Forever we..........

........... us onward to.........

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Always and ever we stand together

Hogarts Forever ....................

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

The only remaining question is, whether there are two versions of the first 1:30 of Lupin's Transformation or whether it's only the last 0:30 (percussion/pizzicato) that got changed.

I'm not sure, Mike's methodology around presenting alternates along with the entire cue vs only presenting the alternate segments seems to change on a case-by-case basis.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess the track Lupin's Transformation [Alternate] is just OST track 14 with a clean ending (without Chasing Scabbers appended to it).

Hogwarts Forever

We ever praise thee

Guiding us onwards

To all we can be

Draco Dormiens

Nunquam Titilandus

Always forever

we stand together

Hogwarts forever

... to thee

I can’t work out the last line 

@Holko

We ever and Guiding can't be right, and it's always and ever not always forever.

We herald and praise thee?

There's an L in that Guiding.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

We ever and Guiding can't be right, and it's always and ever not always forever.

We herald and praise thee?

There's an L in that Guiding.

Yeah. I thought I heard Gliding but that didn’t seem right. I dunno, you’re on your own from here on out!

30 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titilandus is the Latin bit and they say some stuff about Hogwarts Forever etc...

So Williams took the Gryffindor theme and turned it into a song with Hogwarts lyrics (or the other way round). Looks like there *is* some justification for naming that particular piece Hogwarts Forever.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

You guys are close with the lyrics - closer than I got when I first heard it!  I also can barely tell what the children are singing for some reason.  Especially since I had no idea at first there was Latin in there!

Anyhoo, the full lyrics are printed in the outer booklet, along with all the lyrics to all the songs in the whole set!

Can't wait to read that booklet lol

Was there ever a discussion about including the tracked music in the HP2 score presentation?