Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

33 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I'm not paying $100 for this. I'm hoping it will be downloadable on special websites. All I want is the film score for POA. I don't care about any alternative or unused cues. 

Not okay.

3 minutes ago, Molly Weasley said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but does anyone know/have speculations about when this will ship? 

Tuesday, November 27th, 2018.  It's in the main post.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Tuesday, November 27th, 2018.  It's in the main post.

Yes, but I need to figure out when they'll start mailing to know if I'll receive it before December 13th or if I have to specify a different address when ordering on the 27th.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But didn't MV say previously that they won't actually start shipping on the 27th until they knew how many copies they'd need?

No, he said he won't ship any to other STORES until they (LLL) know how much they need for orders they received via their own website.

They'll begin shipping to customers who order directly from their website right away.

Stores may or may not get copies after they take care of their own direct customers.  In other words, other stores might have to wait for a second batch of copies to come back from the pressing plant if people order more than they've already received from the plant via their own website.

14 minutes ago, Molly Weasley said:

Yes, but I need to figure out when they'll start mailing to know if I'll receive it before December 13th or if I have to specify a different address when ordering on the 27th.

The 27th.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Well, I guess that's all subjective. For me, it's a bargain.

Especially considering that I once paid 100 bucks for ONE John Williams CD (the LLL edition of The Poseidon Adventure, once if was OOP)!

Sorry but you is crazy.  Considering this set will have no more than 12 bucks at the most in material cost and only a slight more for intellectual costs it is high priced. But the desire to have it is the driving force. At least this is more worthy of your money considering the amount of music and its far superior quality. 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, he said he won't ship any to other STORES until they know how much they need for orders they received via their own website.

They'll begin shipping to customers who order directly from their website right away.

So there's still a chance other stores could get stock in December if there's less immediate orders than the first batch due to for example the high price?

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If "special websites" means what I think it means, that's one reason why releases like this are so expensive.

Right.

Because without downloading websites, LLL would be able to sell a million copies instead of 5000.

Without those websites, film score CDs would be a thriving business selling millions and millions of copies instead of living a niche life.

Surprised you don't go on a rant about Spotify.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Sorry but you is crazy.  Considering this set will have no more than 12 bucks at the most in material cost and only a slight more for intellectual costs it is high priced. But the desire to have it is the driving force. At least this is more worthy of your money considering the amount of music and its far superior quality. 

Way I look at it is, average retail for a new CD is what, $15, 17 USD? So each disc here is slightly less than the going MSRP, and the booklets, etc. are way beyond what you usually get in a standard CD release. Sounds like a good deal for me!

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

I'm not paying $100 for this. I'm hoping it will be downloadable on special websites. All I want is the film score for POA. I don't care about any alternative or unused cues. 

-No-he-s-a-pirate-will-and-elizabeth-tur

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Exactly! 

And how much music we're talking about here? Almost 8 hours!!!!! Eight freaking hours!

I still can't quite believe we're getting this.... Anybody should be do lucky! :D

I can't believe it either. I was still expecting to have it not happen at the last minute, because it's just too damn cool

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

It's $14 per CD. That's actually cheaper than your regular single or double CD release by the Labels. Clearly they're making huge amounts of money and Matessino & Co are incredibly rich.

3 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Right.

Because without downloading websites, LLL would be able to sell a million copies instead of 5000.

Without those websites, film score CDs would be a thriving business selling millions and millions of copies instead of living a niche life.

Possibly. Not millions and millions, and it would still be a niche, but purely in absolute numbers I'm sure there used to be a bigger market for these releases before buying CDs (or records or whatever) came out of fashion. Which would at least make them sell more discs of those releases that never come close to selling out, and that alone could already influence the price of these releases in general. And if enough people bought these things, more than 5000 might be feasible as well.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I plan on uploading this to the special websites, except every track is just different length edits of Yakkity Sax.  

Oh come on now. They came for Potter. Might as well give them Potter:

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I plan on uploading this to the special websites, except every track is just different length edits of Yakkity Sax.  

Better still: 

its the only Harry Potter music you need 

42 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Bullshit.

I think the price is more than justified for what's in the set - whether I personally like spending that amount in one go on one thing is different.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams composed everything.  Everything Ross did to make music fit the final picture was entirely using music Williams had composed.  Ross did a ton of hard work on this picture, but nothing that he did would be considered "composing".

So what created the whole controversy in the first place? A thing where "insiders" back in 2002 posted some stuff about Ross having a role in the composition? 

so the 40 mn

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams composed everything.  Everything Ross did to make music fit the final picture was entirely using music Williams had previously composed.

So all these people believing all this years  the official press conference of 40 minutes of new Williams music are wrong  (Stefancos....)

And that guy claiming to be Ross assistant  saying Ross composed the end of  Reunion of Friends was total bullshit?

Need official answer to this too

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So what created the whole controversy in the first place? A thing where "insiders" back in 2002 posted some stuff about Ross having a role in the composition? 

the controversy is a few people sticking adamantly that they believed Williams press conference that he only composed 40 minutes of new music and never  backed down despite the sheet music leak and insider articles