Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

Speaking of similarities between scores, this track from Hook shares an uncanny resemblance

with the first notes of Hedwig's Theme (aka the Harry Potter Theme Song):

I think the title "The Nursery" is wrong though.

10 minutes ago, redishere said:

Speaking of similarities between scores, this track from Hook shares an uncanny resemblance

with the first notes of Hedwig's Theme (aka the Harry Potter Theme Song):

I think the title "The Nursery" is wrong though.

Seriously?!

No.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Seriously?!

No.

I was just referring to the first five notes you hear at 0:34.
The intervals, the rhythmic pattern. I don't know, that small part of Hook reminds me of HP,

just like these seven chords in Rey's Theme sound a little bit Azkaban-esque to me.
I'm not saying the entire cues are identical!

The evolution of Hedwig theme can indeed be traced to Hook. The ending of Hook-Napped (the first half on the OST) is a dead ringer.

The Prologue from Sorcerer's Stone seems to have been temp-tracked with The Library from The Pagemaster.

10 minutes ago, redishere said:

I was just referring to the first five notes you hear at 0:34.
The intervals, the rhythmic pattern. I don't know, that small part of Hook reminds me of HP,

just like these seven chords in Rey's Theme sound a little bit Azkaban-esque to me.
I'm not saying the entire cues are identical!

They may sound similar, but you know what? That's a stretch! 

Music is full of such similarities. Seriously. If you go down this road, you could argue that "Somewhere in my Memory" from Home Alone bears an uncanny resemblance to the "Theme from Schindler's List"! And so on and so on.

It doesn't end. Unless it's an obvious imitation or copy, it's really nothing. 

Witches of Eastwick is the 

3 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The evolution of Hedwig theme can indeed be traced to Hook. The ending of Hook-Napped (the first half on the OST) is a dead ringer.

The Prologue from Sorcerer's Stone seems to have been temp-tracked with The Library from The Pagemaster.

Witches of Eastwick started it all (before it got kiddified by Home Alone and Hook). 

The Pagemaster stuff is part Rimsky-Korsakoff, part Igor's Firebird. Both Williams and Horner prefered the same well.

5 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Now who wants to guess what we’ll get samples of?

Teaser

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

They may sound similar, but you know what? That's a stretch! 

Music is full of such similarities. Seriously. If you go down this road, you could argue that "Somewhere in my Memory" from Home Alone bears an uncanny resemblance to the "Theme from Schindler's List"! And so on and so on.

It doesn't end. Unless it's an obvious imitation or copy, it's really nothing. 

Indeed.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

you still haven''t got it.  Ross didn't write the quiddich music  . I guess Jay posting 100 times that Williams wrote all the new music doesn't really matter because it doesn't get through to a few people

Ross might have written a few transitional note here and there  to join cues in place  and handled the tracked music that's it. He didn't compose entire cues or even parts of them

Williams does this all the time. I'm sure people can point out many cues in Last Jedi .Here he just modified Chase on Coruscant because he''d just worked on that and was in a hurry

And if the quiddich music doesn't count as a NEW composition in Jay's mind then I'm wrong . It's  like a very distinct alternate so I have no idea what you people consider "adapting" anymore

COS is perhaps his most Horner-esque score in terms of self-quotation. It's more like a pastiche of Williams music, lacking its own identity. Familiarity with the Sorcerer's Stone and Star Wars II scores (among others) made the laziness incredibly obvious at the time.

1 minute ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

COS is perhaps his most Horner-esque score in terms of self-quotation. It's more like a pastiche of Williams music, lacking its own identity. Familiarity with the Sorcerer's Stone and Star Wars II scores (among others) at the time made the laziness incredibly obvious.

Yeah the COS, AOTC, Minority Report year must have really stretched him.  I don't think I've noticed any other self-quotations as obvious in anything else. 

37 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

To be honest, I think my favorite part of the second score is the Chase Through Coruscant (which auto-correct is determined to turn into Croissant).

Ham the Assassin

47 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I'm so excited to hear listen to the sound quality on this set! And the full Children's Suite...I can't believe that it was recorded so long ago and only now will be heard in its' entirety.  

Well, officially anyway.

11 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, officially anyway.

Yes, but I don't think the Diagon Ally piece from the Suite was on those sessions...and I'm hoping HWW contains the other ending on it. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s on mine

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

The whole suite except the HWW ending was included.

hah, funny...maybe I hit 'delete' instead of 'play' when I got to that track. 

17 minutes ago, Holko said:

The whole suite except the HWW ending was included.

The new ending was never recording during the HPSS sessions.  Neither was the new ending to the Diagon Alley movement.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What about HWW from COS? I remember some discussion that the waveforms looked as if it was the exact same recording as the previous film, with the new ending. What will be in this new set?

They used the HP1 recording for everything except the new ending, which was recorded at the COS sessions by Ross.

In fact, the HPCOS OST debuted the missing seconds of Harry's Wondrous World that were microedited out of the original HPSS OST (hence the "Extended Version" moniker on the new set)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

In fact, the HPCOS OST debuted the missing seconds of Harry's Wondrous World that were microedited out of the original HPSS OST (hence the "Extended Version" moniker on the new set)

Ah! I get it!

The cut bars are right around the 2:00 mark.  Compare the HPSS OST HWW track to the HPCOS OST HWW track (or the HP1 session leak track) and you can't miss it

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just to confirm for other Australians, this goes live at 7am Wednesday (tomorrow) morning Melbourne/Sydney time, correct? 

It’s slightly less than 20 hours from now according to my countdown, I don’t know if it helps, I’m not that familiar with timezones

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Just to confirm for other Australians, this goes live at 7am Wednesday (tomorrow) morning Melbourne/Sydney time, correct? 

2PM tomorrow for me! I get to sleep in and still be on my computer before it goes live.