Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, I don't think they know who Incanus is anyway! :)

I can just imagine the scenario of a person explaining to customs that Gandalf is soon going to be receiving a package of Harry Potter soundtrack CDs with a wrong price on the package and that they should slap a hefty customs fee on him. :P 

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I can just imagine the scenario of a person explaining to customs that Gandalf is soon going to be receiving a package of Harry Potter soundtrack CDs with a wrong price on the package and that they should slap a hefty customs fee on him. :P 

Yeah, even to you Finns that would sound insane! ;)

Btw, shouldn't the Christmas-Gandalf have a white beard?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, even to you Finns that would sound insane! ;)

Btw, shouldn't the Christmas-Gandalf have a white beard?

I thought it would be appropriate to keep something of the original grey pilgrim intact. ;) 

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Exactly the same here, Karol. Varese's orders always get charged by customs here as well, who knows why. Also happened with SAE orders several years ago. Never happened to me with LLL orders sent directly from them. I also know people who order vinyls from Mondo and other labels who always get charged.

In the end, I think it's just a random check and a break of luck. So, whatever works indeed.

I don't think it's random at all. Intrada/LLL use 'commercial sample' on their packages with negligible value. I have no idea about the legality of that.

Varese always puts the full value on their packages so if you order more than one CD, you risk customs. I suppose it might then be random, but only for pakages from them.

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think it's random at all. Intrada/LLL use 'commercial sample' on their packages with negligible value. I have no idea about the legality of that.

Varese always puts the full value on their packages so if you order more than one CD,you risk customs.

Luckily enough I have never had any trouble with the Varese packages and I don't think they have ever marked the full value on them either. So I have avoided paying VAT on them all those times I have ordered directly from them. It is strange how it varies between countries what they seem to inform on the package.

That said I am trying to contain myself knowing that I have ordered and my copy is "safe" so to speak but we still have to wait until next week until anything ships. Patience is a virtue that seems to be sorely tested in these times. :P 

38 minutes ago, Incanus said:

All your short years on this MB we've been friends. Trust me as you once did, hmm? Let it go.

fotr0199.jpg

Short? It’s been 5 years man! I’ve seen things... you people wouldn’t believe... eh if you hadn’t also been on the forum...

This has been also my first time ordering directly from LLL. Previously I used some stores that import limited editions (I'm from Spain), but obviously buying from them is more expensive and slower. I decided to take the risk this time, hoping customs don't charge me much (sometimes they don't even charge).

1 hour ago, DrTenma said:

This has been also my first time ordering directly from LLL. Previously I used some stores that import limited editions (I'm from Spain), but obviously buying from them is more expensive and slower. I decided to take the risk this time, hoping customs don't charge me much (sometimes they don't even charge).

You can still hope that Quartet Records will do all the Williams expansions from now on.

34 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

I considered buying two of these, one to resell on eBay when it goes out of print.

Buy one to keep it as well and when a desperate JWFan comes across, once the set sold out, you give it to him.

40 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

I wonder why Rowling wouldn't actively advertise something like this if she approved it?

Do you realize how much Harry Potter merchandise is released every year? You don’t know when she approved this and it’s unliekly she’s that bothered about it. I’m sure she has bigger concerns

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Do you realize how much Harry Potter merchandise is released every year? You don’t know when she approved this and it’s unliekly she’s that bothered about it. I’m sure she has bigger concerns

Okay, it wasn't a make or break deal, I would just like to see this sell really well so they can consider releasing the latter scores..I know it will sell well, but the more publicity the better :D

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm willing to bet that Rowling herself might not even know about it.  Her "people" might just have instructions on what kinds of things are ok and what's not.

It’s unlikely that she actually goes through every product and approves them. I would imagine her “people” as you say decide what’s ok and what’s not and she simply signs off on their decisions. 

26 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I still don't understand why there is a Tolkien subforum, but no Goldsmith subforum!

Because every other thread in GD wasn't about Jerry Goldsmith between 2012-2014. By now it could probably be merged back without much notice.

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I've never seen her comment on the music outside of the BTS interviews. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen her comment on it, period...

53 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It’s unlikely that she actually goes through every product and approves them. I would imagine her “people” as you say decide what’s ok and what’s not and she simply signs off on their decisions. 

they better ship it before she finds out and cancels it

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

Does anyone know if MM knew about the session leaks, surely after all these years that might've been an impetus to do this set akin to AI and the expanded promo.

Of course he knew.

So Mondo today released a vinyl pressing of the Elfman Batman score (the LLL assembly), limited to 2000.  All 2000 of them sold out in 20 minutes.  And Mondo vinyl releases pretty much always sell like that!

It's so weird to me that 2,000 of those sold in less than half an hour, but this Potter release, and the JP collection before it, will take months and months.