Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah I' return it immediately if it was a store but this is a bit more delicate

You just send LLL some pics of the scratched CD and ask them for a replacement. I don't think you'd even need to send the damaged CD back.

Just now, Josh500 said:

You just send LLL some pics of the scratched CD and ask them for a replacement. I don't think you'd even need to send the damaged CD back.

Yep.

https://lalalandrecords.com/contact-us/

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it doesn'tmatter if I can rip it or not.

Why not? Then at least you can listen to the music right away! 

Any replacement CD they might send won't arrive until next year, in all likelihood. 

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I filled out their form but I couldn't attach a  picture.I offered to send one

You upload it to a image hosting site, then include a link to it in the text box.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Your computer will probably rip it just fine

I don't know how involved you are with LLL, but this is your answer?

That's really not an appropriate reaction. Cheeky, in fact.

It's like you spend 120 dollars on a great restaurant, then your food in front of you is dumped on a plate, sauce splattered everywhere, meat cut to fuck, dirty plate, then your waiter tells you "ah, anyway, it tastes the same, just close your eyes!"

People don't always rip it, they may want to use a CD player - what a CD is manufactured for - and you can't send them scratched discs. I know I want to use a CD player, and if I get sent scratched discs, you can bet I'll ask for replacement.

39 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I don't know how involved you are with LLL, but this is your answer?

That's really not an appropriate reaction. Cheeky, in fact.

It's like you spend 120 dollars on a great restaurant, then your food in front of you is dumped on a plate, sauce splattered everywhere, meat cut to fuck, dirty plate, then your waiter tells you "ah, anyway, it tastes the same, just close your eyes!"

People don't always rip it, they may want to use a CD player - what a CD is manufactured for - and you can't send them scratched discs. I know I want to use a CD player, and if I get sent scratched discs, you can bet I'll ask for replacement.

Hey man. Chill out.

LLL will send a replacement and it will all be fine. I realize that many have waiting a long while and it's an expensive purchase, and this is a very unfortunate result, but what's done is done. We could at least be civil about it. 

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

I have the exact same issue with SS disc 1. It works perfectly fine though, so I don't really care.

Come to think of it I don't think I've even checked mine. I wanted to rip it before anything else (aka before I ware the hell out of the discs)

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

Come to think of it I don't think I've even checked mine. I wanted to rip it before anything else (aka before I ware the hell out of the discs)

Same here; I actually checked it by "accident". I had to put the disc upside-down for a second to set it on a table before inserting it into my computer, that's when I saw the scratches. I never did check any of the other discs though...

I've listened to all of them, and they didn't have any issues.

27 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Hey man. Chill out.

LLL will send a replacement and it will all be fine. I realize that many have waiting a long while and it's an expensive purchase, and this is a very unfortunate result, but what's done is done. We could at least be civil about it. 

Not the point at all.

It's about customer care. Jay is a spokesman for LLL here, and when someone gets a damaged product, that's also quite expensive, and a collector's item, the initial reaction shouldn't be "well, it'll probably rip fine". That's just questionable form. Nowhere am I uncivil.

And if it's an issue for more people, LLL should really have an eye on quality control.

Just because people were waiting years for this doesn't mean they don't deserve a proper product.

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I have the exact same issue with SS disc 1. It works perfectly fine though, so I don't really care.

What? Also scratches?

As bad as KM's? 

8 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Not the point at all.

It's about customer care. Jay is a spokesman for LLL here, and when someone gets a damaged product, that's also quite expensive, and a collector's item, the initial reaction shouldn't be "well, it'll probably rip fine". That's just questionable form. Nowhere am I uncivil.

I won't debate wether you were actually uncivil or not, but I will go ahead and directly quote Jay:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't work for La-La Land Records and have never spoken for them in any official or unofficial capacity.

So no, Jay is not a spokesman for LLL here or anywhere. If you have issues with the quality of the set, actually send LLL a message as King Mark has done and I'd imagine they will be sure to deal with it with the utmost care and respect. And considering no one from LLL has talked to you directly about this I'd say there's no issue of customer care.

Jay saying I'm sure it'll rip fine is no different than if I had said that to you. 

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I'll check mine as soon as I get home. But I already ripped the CDs and I had no problems. And now the set is stored safely in my safe (cupboard). 

I actually did have some issues ripping, but it was nothing to do with my discs. My computer's disc drive just went insane momentarily. Every time I inserted a disc it would pop-up and ask me to insert a disc, reopening the tray as if there was nothing there. I just had to shut the disc tray again without closing the message and then it was fine. Computers can be silly.

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

I actually did have some issues ripping, but it was nothing to do with my discs. My computer's disc drive just went insane momentarily. Every time I inserted a disc it would pop-up and ask me to insert a disc, reopening the tray as if there was nothing there. I just had to shut the disc tray again without closing the message and then it was fine. Computers can be silly.

Thanks for that info!  

My suggestion to you: See whether the warranty is still valid on your computer and if yes, send it back! 😂 :P

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Thanks for that info!  

My suggestion to you: See whether the warranty is still valid on your computer and if yes, send it back! 😂 :P

Ha! It's custom. I'll just rip out the disc drive and get another one if the issue persists. 😉

Hypothetic scenario: someone buys this set, rarely plays it. It sells out and becomes a true gem in about 5 years. The person decides to sell it in the condition rarely played, as good as new. The buyer notices that a disc is scratched, asks for a refund.

It devalues the product, pure and simple.

And of course Jay has ties to this set (he's IN the credits), and by extent LLL. At least you can suggest contacting them, and not outright say something that says "ah, come on, it's fine".

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Hypothetic scenario: someone buys this set, rarely plays it. It sells out and becomes a true gem in about 5 years. The person decides to sell it in the condition rarely played, as good as new. The buyer notices that a disc is scratched, asks for a refund.

It devalues the product, pure and simple.

And of course Jay has ties to this set (he's IN the credits), and by extent LLL. At least you can suggest contacting them, and not outright say something that says "ah, come on, it's fine".

Sigh. Sorry @Jay I tried.

Look, if someone were to do that, I would imagine they would also be the type of person to check the discs right away or at least on one of the few plays. If they do extremely care that the condition remain pristine.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That actually sounds like it was out for delivery, but never officially delivered and not checked in back at the post office either. Could have been mis-delivered without a confirmation, or even returned to the post office without confirmation. I've had that happen to a Screen Archives order some years back - after waiting for it for several weeks, I inquired at the post office if they just might happen to have a package addressed to me - turns out it was just two days before they would have sent it back because it had been lying there for nearly four weeks. The postman just never delivered the yellow notification I was supposed to get (or he put it in somebody else's mailbox).

Great.... If that's the case I'm screwed

42 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

if it's an issue for more people, LLL should really have an eye on quality control.

Just because people were waiting years for this doesn't mean they don't deserve a proper product.

for once I agree with you

If you buy an expensive collector's item, you expect it to arrive in pristine condition. not like someone wiped the floor with it.

If this was a videogame disk EB games would reject it for trade-in

44 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Here you go:

disc.jpg

Doesn't look like scratches Just rub some toothpaste on it

It's just disappointing in the moment .Kinda ruined the big arrival

i ripped it to see if it plays

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Doesn't look like scratches Just rub some toothpaste on it

I tried wiping it..it's scratches..

Looks like the Viennese airport isn't good enough for USPS:

GERMANY, MUNICH, Departed -> Your item departed a transfer airport in FRANZ JOSEF STRAUSS, MUNICH, GERMANY on December 18, 2018 at 9:38 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

It's just disappointing in the moment .Kinda ruined the big arrival

i ripped it to see if it plays

I tried wiping it..it's scratches..

Definitely scratches, but you know what @King Mark, thanks for still being pretty chill about it anyways towards everyone here. I know it's frustrating though.

I was a little disappointed when the jewel case for my copy of Twister arrived a bit busted up, much easier to replace though. I can only imagine the disappointment caused by a disc in that state.

I remember once lending someone one of my favorite blu-rays and getting it back looking very very similar to this:

SCRACTHED-DISC.jpg

I had a slight scuff on a JP disk and never asked a replacement until my Potter  order. Since the set was oop I figure any leftover c.d.'s would be a waste of space to them so I had nothing to lose and wouldn't have cared otherwise

But this is much much worse

Just now, King Mark said:

I had a slight scuff on a JP disk and never asked a replacement until my Potter  order. Since the set was oop I figure any leftover c.d.'s would be a waste of space to them so I had nothing to lose and wouldn't have cared otherwise

But this is much much worse

I'm still bummed I missed the JP set. They go for like at least $150 on ebay now.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

maybe the guy who assembled the sets that night was drunk or something

They did start sending them out during their Christmas party, didn't they?

35 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Definitely scratches, but you know what @King Mark, thanks for still being pretty chill about it anyways towards everyone here. I know it's frustrating though.

I was a little disappointed when the jewel case for my copy of Twister arrived a bit busted up, much easier to replace though. I can only imagine the disappointment caused by a disc in that state.

I remember once lending someone one of my favorite blu-rays and getting it back looking very very similar to this:

SCRACTHED-DISC.jpg

That looks scratched. And cracked.