Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

If someone hasn't bought it yet and doesn't want to wait for the next batch, I would advise to hurry up. There are 49 copies left on the La La Land website, or at least this is what the system shows.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Maybe the 49 remaining copies are from this new but not last 500 units batch?

It's been out of stock for quite a while, so maybe ~450 copies have sold since Wednesday?

Or perhaps they're re-adding stock to their website in increments of 50? It says 47 remaining now.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:23 PM, bollemanneke said:

That can't be right, they ordered 500 new units and did not say this was the last batch.

Nobody says it's the last batch. Of course it'll come back, but no one knows when.

It hasn't sold out completely yet because La La brings it back in small batches at large intervals. Unless I am mistaken, first there were 2,500 copies, then three times 500 copies - and these smaller batches always sold in a few days. 1000 more copies will probably be sold in the future.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

It hasn't sold out completely yet because La La brings it back in small batches at large intervals. Unless I am mistaken, first there were 2,500 copies, then three times 500 copies - and these smaller batches always sold in a few days. 1000 more copies will probably be sold in the future.

Oh, right, I had no idea about the first 2,500, still surprised they didn't go as fast, though. Really happy for them this monumental set is doing well now.

On 2/7/2021 at 2:19 AM, Pawel P. said:

"Temporarily out of stock" on the La La Land website.

Welp, those 500 copies went quick!

I'd be really surprised if the scores weren't reissued as individual releases once the box is totally sold out, based on these sales.

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed, but I wonder what will happen if the box hasn't sold out this year. They can't re-issue HP2 and 3 and not do HP1.

Based on manufacturing delays, I'd honestly be surprised if the box came back into stock this year.

I can see Azkaban getting a reissue for its 20th Anniversary, especially if the analogue masters turn up and they find all those early alternates sans WTTP.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, but that would be a rather weird thing to do if they aren't going to do it for 1 and 2. And I still want to know why they didn't look at the tapes in 2017.

I thought the analogue tapes for POA were missing, and nobody could find a cue recording list to verify if those early alternates were even recorded.

Whatever sources they did have for POA, they weren't complete (judging by the incorrect take being used for Befriending the Hippogriff).

I'm sure all 3 scores will be reissued though; it's just that POA needs the most work of the 3 to be truly definitive -- barely anything is missing from 1 and 2.

I'm curious how much of their 5000 allocation they've sold. I assume that initial batch was around 2000 units, and they've had multiple restocks of 500 units since its release.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure all 3 scores will be reissued though; it's just that POA needs the most work of the 3 to be truly definitive -- barely anything is missing from 1 and 2.

It's the only one that needs any more work to be truly definitive.

25 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's the only one that needs any more work to be truly definitive.

In fairness there's a few bits and pieces still unreleased from the first two scores, but personally I don't need a single extra note from either. My appetite is completely exhausted by the end of disc 5 (especially with all the musical repetition in HP2).

HP3 is such a breath of fresh air by the time you reach disc 6.

1 isn't technically missing anything, but original versions of some cues without the inserts overlaid could be presented, and also the vocal performance of the christmas song I think is a different take on the OST for part of it

For 2 the little insert that bridged The Train Station to The Flying Car is unreleased

I don't think that Christmas song is a different take... Can you write more about the HP2 insert? I never fully understood how it worked. What you hear in both the movie and LLL makes musical sense, though the transition between the two cues is a bit clumsy on the LLL.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

1 isn't technically missing anything, but original versions of some cues without the inserts overlaid could be presented, and also the vocal performance of the christmas song I think is a different take on the OST for part of it

For 2 the little insert that bridged The Train Station to The Flying Car is unreleased

I just remembered, HP1 IS missing something: the real intro of the Trailer, starting with Hedwig's theme in B flat minor on celesta.

I mean, bolle just said what you hear in the trailer is different than what you hear on the set, so I'd assume so

Can't say I've ever compared anything myself

I don't trust what's literally heard in trailers or movies anymore, given how liberally Williams' music has been manipulated by sound editors since the prequel era.

Especially after all the pitch shifting we saw in TROS.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't trust what's literally heard in trailers or movies anymore, given how liberally Williams' music has been manipulated by sound editors since the prequel era.

Its noteveryday you get a War Horse where its just a bit of microedits and some cymbal/gong/tam-tam overlays.

I always meant to compare the trailer to the LLL version of the track but just never did

Not being able to read sheet music puts a damper on me being able to figure out myself anyway

Intro sounds the same as the LLL to me, but I haven't compared with a fine tooth comb. It's definitely cut down from LLL D3T13 though.

@bollemanneke were you referring to a different trailer? The theatrical trailer sounds like London music to me.

Well the LLL track  is longer with extra  sections and  in the music in the actual teaser is edited down.

And it's my favorite performance of Hedwig's Theme

3 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Aside from performance differences, the only real stretch of music from any of these cues that was never adapted for use in the film and OST is the section of Trailer heard from 1:39-1:52 in LLL "Teaser."

yeah , that's the main reason I wanted that teaser music and I wish Williams had included it in the final version of Hedwig's Theme

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

yeah , that's the main reason I wanted that teaser music and I wish Williams had included it in the final version of Hedwig's Theme

Yeah, I was thrilled to finally have that passage!

Got it, so "New Trailer Intro" was definitely recorded, replaced the opening of "Trailer #2" in the actual trailer, but remains unreleased. 

"Trailer #2 Intro" was probably never recorded. 

Neither provides anything terribly unique anyway, and the LLL track contains the entire original version from before someone wanted to change the opening

There's also small details like the tempo of certain passages like the trumpet figures at the end I prefer in the Teaser over the final Hedwig's Theme recording

On 2/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, Datameister said:
  • Hedwig's Theme: Heard in complete form from 0:00-1:04 in the LLL track "Teaser." Used (with edits) in the teaser. Not to be confused with the OST track of the same name, which was a longer concert suite that incorporates the same material.
  • Trailer: Heard in complete form as the remainder of the LLL track "Teaser." Used (with edits) in the teaser.

Were these always intended to play right after each other like they do in the LLL track? Just a case of one piece of music divided into two cues for recording?

I'd speculate each was written wild (IE, based on JW's memories of the books and maybe some footage he was shown, but not the final assembled teaser as we know it) -- and that they eventually cut a teaser together and slapped edited versions of each recording into it

Here's the teaser:

You can see there really is no specific sync points at all between music and visuals, and that it just kinda casually goes from "Hedwig's Theme" to "Teaser" at 0:40.

Incidentally, I always found it so weird they chose that shot of Snape with Quirrel acting weird next to him instead of any other shots of Snape looking petulant they could have gone with

Interesting thoughts. I think there are some points that sync up well, mainly the moment at 0:40 where the screen goes dark as the first cue ends, and the first few seconds afterward that are mysterious, then grand, as the students enter the great hall. But that could be a case of footage edited to fit the music. And the rest of it after that point has more of a montage feel, where you could cut any shots in there that you wanted.

What a classic teaser, I love how they left out dialogue and even sound effects in many of the shots and let Williams do the talking.

Right, I think the music editors did a decent job of editing Williams' music into the footage that was assembled.

But there's a different level of magic when Williams is given assembled footage and he writes music directly for it, that isn't here really.