Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

I'm guessing Hedwig's Theme was written based purely off of the book, and then Trailer was written a little later with the intention that it come right after Hedwig's Theme. But it very well may not have been written to picture either.

Oh yea, I would definitely assume it was written specifically for the upcoming teaser and so that it would sound good starting right where the already-recorded "Hedwig's Theme" ends, but I have no idea if he was given specific edited footage to write it to, or if it was written wild.

If the sketch of it leaked we might know more if he wrote descriptions of footage along the top, which he sometimes does on sketches but not always

Yeah, I made my own C&C edit of HP3 and have to admit it's a bit exhausting to listen to because of the small cues. I'm going to try and combine a few of them without changing the order to see what that sounds like. The OST is not representative for me though.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wouldn't call HP1's length a problem, though.

I mean, I never complain about having more music. I'm just saying that if you want to listen to the whole thing, you'd better have a few hours to spare.

Right. When I thought about problematic length, LOTR1-2 immediately came to mind. The amount of aimless ominious chords in those scores is staggering. But yes, HP1 does have a Hedwig's theme overload, which the OST doesn't really solve either because it removes some of the best variations ever (Harry Gets His Wand).

43 minutes ago, Holko said:

Better to wait a week for those 2.5 hours you can set aside than settle for a butchered version!

I mean, I can't remember the last time I listened to the OST. I nearly always go with a more complete presentation. But I do think it's a rather masterful OST, particularly with the way parts of the Children's Suite are used.

@bollemanneke I agree, which is why I don't listen to them very often. Same with watching the extended editions. It's just a chore.

Heh, I love that stuff, its so resonant, so soothing.

Of course I am not a complete idiot, so did make a condensed edit a while back that cut some of that stuff, but haven't listened to it in a while, because there were some things I was missing.

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I often break down longer scores into multiple listening sessions. It makes it easier to appreciate each cue or group of cues anyway, when you don't OD on the whole thing at once.

The good sense that many seem to be missing ;)

The HP1 OST works if the chldren's suite is your thing, but if not (as is the case for me), it pushes the album rather far into the 'inspired by' territory.

If you take out the concert pieces and material from the suite, we only get about 52-53 mins of score from a 2 1/2 hour film, which isn't very much. That, and the irritating microedits he did in several places to remove material that would easily have fit.

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The HP1 OST works if the chldren's suite is your thing, but if not (as is the case for me), it pushes the album rather far into the 'inspired by' territory.

I absolutely love the Children's Suite, but as its own separate complete thing, not jarringly chopped into parts of an entirely different kind of writing. Same with most concert pieces. And TV ad cues.

If JW was as focused as he was on translating the score into a separate listening experience, he could've done a 2-CD set - disc 1 being a solid 70-75 mins of pure score, and disc 2 being the Children's suite and other concert pieces.

I do not personally recall any rumors of any expansions back then but who knows

I have no clue if WB and JW talked about expansions between themselves ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is a recreation of the Prisoner of Azkaban Japanese CD cover for anyone interested. Couldn't find a high res version of this online and find it much better than the standard faces cover. Only difference is I changed the 'Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture'.

1332485358_HarryPotterandthePrisonerofAzkaban.png

I've also created custom covers for other Harry Potter soundtracks 

Harry Potter Custom Covers

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anybody have any insight on LLL's "temporarily out of stock" status? I've mentioned before that I was criminally slow on the draw in the first run and am now loathe to throw money at scalpers — but that would be contingent on LLL actually producing more of these :|

It means they don't currently have any stock on hand, but plan to order more in the future.  It's not out of print, they'll carry it again as soon as they can.

On February 7, MV said "In the meantime we will do our damnedest to get more Harry Potter sets produced. It's not sold out. I repeat ITS NOT SOLD OUT...just OUT OF STOCK. Its just a pricey endeavor to make the packaging and manufacture the 7 cds at a third party finished goods rate, but we should have some more in stock by Summer."

On June 24, MV indicated it "depends" on if it will be available by Q4 2021 or not until 2022

On June 25, MV indicated "Harry Potter is coming back first" when asked about the Disaster Box, which he indicated is expected for Q1 2022.  So I guess that makes Potter 1 also expected for Q1 2022 unless something's changed.

• 1 month later...

MV just indicated this will be back in stock in "Mid March"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146835&forumID=1&archive=0

Unlike many other titles marked as "final batch" on that list, Harry Potter didn't have one, so at least another batch should be coming after this one

1 hour ago, Jay said:

MV just indicated this will be back in stock in "Mid March"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146835&forumID=1&archive=0

Unlike many other titles marked as "final batch" on that list, Harry Potter didn't have one, so at least another batch should be coming after this one

Correct me if I’m wrong, but were there minor frequency issues on a few tracks in Prisoner of Azkaban when this first came out? What are the chances of these being corrected? Should I re-purchase this when it is back in stock?

Later pressings have fixed discs, yes.

There's no need to re-purchase in my opinion.  The human ear can't tell the difference between the two, and you can download the fixed tracks anyway

Just now, Jay said:

Later pressings have fixed discs, yes.

There's no need to re-purchase in my opinion.  The human ear can't tell the difference between the two

Really? So, you are fine with the set when you first ordered it upon original release? I just want to make sure. Your opinion is appreciated.

I mean, I was involved in making the set happen and was tasked with listening to all 7 discs as they were being created and gave notes on what could be changed and didn't notice anything wrong with the sound of Azkaban, no.

The people who discovered the cutoff frequencies were looking at the music instead of listening to it.

It's your money, and only you can decide how important it is to you to spend another $100 to have the restored frequency version on your shelf.

One option is, you could always sell your current copy to fund a purchase of the new set.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

The people who discovered the cutoff frequencies were looking at the music instead of listening to it.

So you're saying blind listeners would not notice the defect, but deaf listeners might. 

In Audacity, I personally listened to the "difference" of the original tracks vs HD corrected tracks mixed by MM... and we can hear a difference. It's a feature of Audacity, you can remove the sound of track A from the sound of track B, so all it remains is the difference between the two tracks.

There's no music at all in this "difference" tracks.

But we can hear the "air" of the sound (or some very light reverb).

So I maintain that the corrected tracks are essential, as they add more "life" to the tracks, they sound less "digital".

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

But we can hear the "air" of the sound (or some very light reverb).

This is pretty much the same sound that we can hear when comparing a lossless to a lossy track. Kind of a proof that a lossy source was indeed used (not really a frequency curved one).

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I saw this thread bumped, I bolted over to LLL's website to place my order before even catching up here. Let's hope I snagged one proper.