Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

My lack of funds is an ignorant presumption on your part. 

Oh so you do have money. And still you're bitching and bitching about this monumental release, instead of being happy about it... 

OK then! Got it. 😂 

7 hours ago, Demondm810 said:

I have a friend who casually listens to scores. She was interested in this release and asked me to tell her when it’s available for order. But I’m not going to for a week, because she lives in California. I don’t want her to get it before me. 

Thank God it's 5,000 copies, and not 500 or even 100.

Imagine the chaos then! With 5,000 copies, there's more than enough to go around, I'm sure. This won't sell out before next summer at the earliest, mark my words! 

5 hours ago, Will said:

Like @King Mark, I remain a little uncertain about the Williams/Ross split on CoS. Even if Ross didn't "compose" anything new, I wonder whether stuff like the "Reunion of Friends" finale or "Escape from the Dursleys" would count as "adapted" and therefore could have been done by Ross with no Williams involvement (other than the fact that JW's HP1 stuff was riffed on therein, obviously).  

Then again, like KM I find it hard to believe that, say, the "Reunion" finale could have been composed/adapted by anyone other than JW! It sounds like pure Williams. 

Now you're being just OCD! :D

Everybody (except maybe anonymous sources years ago in a message forum who claimed to know otherwise) says in no uncertain terms that JW composed everything, and Ross just adapted and arranged the music to fit the scenes. What's more, like you yourself say, the music sounds like pure Williams.

And you're still doubting? 

I'm not. At this point, I'm finally satisfied Williams actually wrote 100% of the music for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

$100 for 7 discs and 8 hours of music is a no-brainer, especially when you compare to 3 or 4 discs and 3-4 hours for the LOTR:CRs which were somewhere in the $60-$70 range each if memory serves correctly!  

Indeed! It's a bargain! :)

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Considering how quickly some special releases used to sell out, and how long that hasn't happened, does lead me to believe that the downfall of CDs has had an effect of how many of these they sell. Either that or a shitload of people just stopped listening to and buying soundtracks about 10 years ago.

Consider some of the bigger film music concerts, like Hollywood in Vienna (two concert dates each year, roughly 4,000 people altogether) or the recent (Non-)Williams concert in London (rougly 4,000 people on one date). There you have more people in one spot (and just in Europe, no less, and for events that sold out within minutes and could have sold many more tickets) than buy many/most of these releases. I still find it baffling that the number of people *world-wide* who buy long awaited releases like these *over months or even years* is no higher than the people crammed into a single hall on one evening, people often paying premium prices to get good seats plus hotel and flights.

How high is the number of people who do want these release, or even do listen to them, but just don't buy them?

I can answer that in one word: competition

Competition has gotten a lot tougher, compared to, say, 20 years ago. People want the new smartphone, the new tablet, the new laptop, the new camera, the new camera gear, the new headset, the new DVD or Blu-ray player, the new video game, the new video game console, the new music player, the new watch, the new car... Etc. Etc.

Many of those things existed 20 years ago, too, but not in this amount. The sheer quantity of stuff being released and vying for the consumer's attention today is unprecedented. Competition is a lot tougher now.

12 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, Jay did say that everything in the film is included in this set.

I hate to be pedantic, but what I said was

On 11/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jay said:

There is no Williams score in the film that is not on the new set.

I mean, for one obvious example, you can hear Hot Liquorice in the film, but it's not on the set.

This is why I choose my words very carefully, and I don't like it when people put other words in my mouth!

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

You're a bit of a ****. :)

I work hard for my money and I will bitch about what I think is overpriced whether you fucking like it or not. ;)

You should do another poll about it.

Oh so you're losing your temper now... Start cussing and swearing...

Don't lose your happy thoughts, now. I can only imagine how much it sucks to be broke. 😂 

Just now, Josh500 said:

Oh so you're losing your temper now... Start cussing and swearing...

Don't lose your happy thoughts, now. I can only imagine how much it sucks to be broke. 😂 

You are the one who cussed first. Lets be clear on that girlfriend.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:09 AM, Jay said:

There is no Williams score in the film that is not on the new set.

It's all good, man!

That's a rather convoluted way of putting it, isn't it? 😂 

So, in other words, every note of Williams score heard in the film is on this new set! Awesome!

I agree with the, admittedly few, voices that say they would have preferred individual releases. Bugged me about the Blue Box, as well. I think it would sell better, too, individually.

I simply have no interest in hearing everything from SS or CoS, the highlights are clearly on CD, whereas PoA is a real jewel.

The box definitely isn't overpriced, but since this month is so exceedingly good to me with releases (I think I haven't bought this many OSTs in years), even though I can afford it, I feel a bit weird to spend 200 € in one go for soundtracks.

And I even think The World Is Not Enough is a shinier pearl for me than PoA.

2 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I agree with the, admittedly few, voices that say they would have preferred individual releases. Bugged me about the Blue Box, as well. I think it would sell better, too, individually.

I doubt it would sell better individually. 

PoA would certainly be a bestseller, but fewer people would buy PS, and even fewer people would buy CoS.

So in the end LLL would probably be making less money if they had sold these individually.

7 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The box definitely isn't overpriced, but since this month is so exceedingly good to me with releases (I think I haven't bought this many OSTs in years), even though I can afford it, I feel a bit weird to spend 200 € in one go for soundtracks.

I'll be ordering HP and SL on the 27th! 

What else you getting? The Land of Giants set? 

I would buy CoS over SS. 

Overall the more enjoyable score. Dobby, Fawkes, Spiders, Chamber theme, the tapestry is much richer. SS is Hedwig Theme overkill. Centerpiece is the Quidditch match, which is on the OST.

Point is, if these had been offered individually, many people (maybe even most people) wouldn't buy all 3, but one or two selected ones.

And my guess is, LLL would have ended up making less money. It was the right decision to make this big giant set, like with the Jurassic Park Collection!

Btw Josh I will buy this. I have zero interest in SL. I have never heard the bond score outside the one time I saw the film so no interest there. I would have more interest in a LOTG if it also was paired with TTT.  But I so rarely listen to music anymore.  I spend more time reading and re-reading novels. When I do listen its through the soundbar and other components with the tv.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I hate to be pedantic, but what I said was

I mean, for one obvious example, you can hear Hot Liquorice in the film, but it's not on the set.

This is why I choose my words very carefully, and I don't like it when people put other words in my mouth!

You know what I mean.

7 hours ago, tarasis said:

I know for my I've largely stopped buying the scores because of the increase postage to Europe and that my CD's where always being stopped by customs. I used to avidly buy from Intrada, LLL and Varese but I haven't bought a CD from them in 3-4 years. The increased costs, and the necessity of traveling by train (1 hour each way), plus a 1.5km walk each way to the customs office just robbed the pleasure of getting the scores.

I know the model doesn't allow for it, but I dearly wish they could sell these limited releases digitally.

I will be picking this up though, one way or another. I need to find a European reseller.

A little heads up though, regarding that: after several years of having to take long trips to German custom offices, just like you, one guy working there all of a sudden asked me, why I am always coming down there in person, when I could simply email them the missing paperwork... and I went like "What the hell???"

Turns out it's true: all you need to do is email them those missing order confirmations and invoices, and they'll have the package delivered to you by the mailman, who then collects the fees from you on delivery.

Just Google for the email address of the customs office in question or give them a quick phone call to ask.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Williams composed everything.  Everything Ross did to make music fit the final picture was entirely using music Williams had composed.  Ross did a ton of hard work on this picture, but nothing that he did would be considered "composing". 

What about cases like "Flying Pixies" which is mostly based off of "The Flying Keys", but contains many added segments to fit the scene? Does that mean John wrote some material for that as well, and Ross essentially put everything together like a puzzle?

It's very easy: if Ross' role would have been the marginal (i. e. only conducting) one the #rabidWilliamsFan suggests, the matter of 'adaptation' never would have come up. Williams' agency would have seen to that. Ross gave an interview that you could read well between the lines: Williams wrote more stuff than what was agreed upon finally, but since Ross was already recording when that happened it is absolutely impossible that he (Williams) just re-composed 140 minutes of music in a matter of days or maybe two weeks, have it orchestrated, prepared etc. Physically impossible.

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

Well, it's the best answer you will get. Translated: it is very unlikely Williams within this cramped timeframe bothered writing second-long connective tissue.

Your answer didn't line up with what I asked though. I was asking if the additional segments/overlays were by John or not, not if he came back after recording had begun to rewrite everything.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I simply have no interest in hearing everything from SS or CoS, the highlights are clearly on CD, whereas PoA is a real jewel.

And I even think The World Is Not Enough is a shinier pearl for me than PoA.

This is the same issue bollemanneke had with purchasing the Jurassic Park set, but on both counts, who solely likes Prisoner of Azkaban without the other two? The set includes the three scores, but that doesn't mean you can't listen to them individually...

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

all the new music is by Williams

The sheet music says so

Jay says so and he worked on the release

What's so complicated to understand .Ross didnt wrote new underscore

Technically Williams wrote it even if Ross did adapted it. What's so hard to understand about Williams possibly couldn't have rewritten a whole 2,5 hour score - the well-known Ross interview clearly states Williams only started turning in new material after they begun recording.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

This is the same issue bollemanneke had with purchasing the Jurassic Park set, but on both counts, who solely likes Prisoner of Azkaban without the other two? The set includes the three scores, but that doesn't mean you can't listen to them individually...

1. Prisoner of Azkaban is different enough from its predecessors that someone who isn't satisfied by the first two can enjoy this one.

2. Okay, well yeah, of course you can listen to them individually. But these people are saying that they'd rather pay let's say $30 for a score they want versus $100 for a score they want and two they don't. 

1 minute ago, redishere said:

The only thing that started to bug me, as I said, is the fact a lot of themes from HP1&2 were completely discarded, but HP3 is a heck of a good soundtrack.

A Williams trademark until last year!

@Nick Parker Yeah, but it's a miracle we're getting any of this, after what, fifteen years? I don't like the first two scores as much as I would PoA, but we're not given much choice here so I'll take what I can get. 

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Nick Parker Yeah, but it's a miracle we're getting any of this, after what, fifteen years? I don't like the first two scores as much as I would PoA, but we're not given much choice here so I'll take what I can get. 

Ultimately I think the set is the best idea to release these things, I was just offering a direct response to your question and statement. 

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Let's put it this way. At least you won't have to do it more than once. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

Are they possibly trying to avoid poor sales of PS and COS because of the leaked sessions, by forcing you to buy them to get POA?

Not many people know of the leaks, it's just a great way to conveniently release all of the Williams Potter scores in one set.

Jay, any chance you could confirm this moody Double Trouble intro is included on the set? It's one of my favourite transitional pieces in the whole score. The only reason I ask is because the track length of Double Trouble on the LLL expansion is the same as the OST track (which obviously doesn't include this opening).

And like I said, the only reason I'm asking for clarification is because it seemingly isn't attached to the same cue as it appears in the film. No need to be rude about it.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And like I said, the only reason I'm asking for clarification is because it seemingly isn't attached to the same cue as it appears in the film. No need to be rude about it.

Yeah but it’s tedious for us to read constant posts asking “are these five seconds” included?  God knows how annoying it is for Jay himself.

Jay has said everything is on the set, it’s obvious he’s unwilling (and that’s perfectly fine) to go into details before the set is released. People will probably have the set by next weekend. You’ll have all your answers then.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

This could mean exposure. This could mean war.

The film score fans and the non film score fans have been at peace for over a century!

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I didn’t mean to be rude, but as Bilbo pointed out the repetition is getting old. Either you take Jay at his word or don’t, but it’s pretty obvious we’re not getting any more details on where cues have been placed until the set comes out.