Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

8 minutes ago, redishere said:

Every time I see a picture of the HP boxset I'm like "damn, that thing is huge!"

Oh, it's a sight to behold to be sure! The other boxsets like this I own are the Medal of Honor box and the Lethal Weapon box, both also from LLL. They really know how to deliver a great product! This Harry Potter collection however really is the crème de la crème. Thanks to LLL, MM and @Jay!

24 minutes ago, serenifly said:

It's here! Took the day off work and thankfully Royal Mail has delivered. Now to the ripping and listening! Nicely packed box and no customs!

20181218_101043.jpg

That is an excellent selection. I absolutely adore this new Die Hard set. The moment these ominous sleigh bells start in glorious stereo you instantly know why it was necessary for LLL to release this for the third time. :)

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is an excellent selection. I absolutely adore this new Die Hard set. The moment these ominous sleigh bells start in glorious stereo you instantly know why it was necessary for LLL to release this for. the third time. :)

Karol

Can't wait! 8 hour Potter binge first though!

28 minutes ago, serenifly said:

It's here! Took the day off work and thankfully Royal Mail has delivered. Now to the ripping and listening! Nicely packed box and no customs!

20181218_101043.jpg

Great pic! Enjoy your sets! 

I'd start listening with Die Hard if I were you.... :D

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is an excellent selection. I absolutely adore this new Die Hard set. The moment these ominous sleigh bells start in glorious stereo you instantly know why it was necessary for LLL to release this for the third time. :)

Karol

I was planning to order it too!

Have you already listened to the whole set of Die Hard? Is this one worth getting? The Ultimate Edition? 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, hornist said:

My box got stuck in Helsinki since wednesday. I have a strong feeling(and hope) that you are going to have this before me, it is only a tracking problem with your delivery... 🤔

Since last Wednesday? Wow. Finnish customs and postal office is doing their utmost to keep us from this music it seems.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, Josh500 said:

This reminds me...

I once traveled from outside the EU into Finland, and I remember the Finnish authorities almost detaining me at the Helsinki airport... This has never happened to me before. Something with my passport, although it turned out to be no big deal. I was like what the hell! But then, after a few minutes, they let me pass.

Seems like the Finnish authorities are very strict and by the book... Maybe the customs agents are, too!

I don't think our authorities are stricter than anywhere else but I guess they do things by the book (as they should).

Our post office has become a business enterprise and not subsidized by government although owned by it so they are trying to accumulate revenue from all kinds of business ventures which in turn affects the quality of their and our postal services.

27 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Since last Wednesday? Wow. Finnish customs and postal office is doing their utmost to keep us from this music it seems.

I don't think our authorities are stricter than anywhere else but I guess they do things by the book (as they should).

Well, there are differences within the EU. There are websites describing experiences made by tourists and immigrants and collecting reports.

Finnish (or generally Scandinavian, I guess) border control is very strict or by the book, as well as German and British ones. The most lax or relaxed within the EU are the Spanish, Italian, and a few other Southern European countries!

That's why, if someone expects problems at border check, they are often advised to enter the EU from one of the Southern countries. Dunno, this can be a good or bad thing, depending on your point or view.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Yes, this is the definiteve edition. It is in fact such an upgrade that the previous sets now sound like dodgy footwarmers in comparison. 

Now you're exaggerating! 

What exactly was wrong with the previous LLL edition? I thought that was pretty great! What are the biggest improvements made with this set?

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, there are differences within the EU. There are websites describing experiences made by tourists and immigrants and collecting reports.

Finnish (or generally Scandinavian, I guess) border control is very strict or by the book, as well as German and British ones. The most lax or relaxed within the EU are the Spanish, Italian, and a few other Southern European countries!

That's why, if someone expects problems at border check, they are often advised to enter the EU from one of the Southern countries. Dunno, this can be a good or bad thing, depending on your point or view.

Now you're exaggerating! 

What exactly was wrong with the previous LLL edition? I thought that was pretty great! What are the biggest improvements made with this set?

The music is sourced from the first generation elements for the first time ever. All the previous releases were compromised in terms of sound quality. Plus some cues on previous releases retained film edits and some of them were in mono. It's not a step in terms of sound quality, it's a leap! You can hear a lot more detail now. Plus it features tons of previously unreleased material including what Kamen originally wrote for the ending. It's as comprehensive as these things get. So no, not an exaggeration at all! :)

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The music is sourced from the first generation elements for the first time ever. All the previous releases were compromised in terms of sound quality. Plus some cues on previous releases retained film edits and some of them were in mono. It's not a step in terms of sound quality, it's a leap! You can hear a lot more detail now. Plus it features tons of previously unreleased material including what Kamen originally wrote for the ending. It's as comprehensive as these things get. So no, not an exaggeration at all! :)

Karol

Yeah, I'm getting this! 

I'll make the order once they start shipping again next year. :)

Actually, I wanted to ask about this first generation quality thing. First of all, I think the LLL samples sound great, so I'm not saying the quality of this release is bad. But what I am wondering is, why does something like Home Alone still sound better? Wouldn't it be more logical if HP1-3 sounded better and more/equally detailed than Home Alone?

We were talking about Die Hard, actually. 

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But what I am wondering is, why does something like Home Alone still sound better? Wouldn't it be more logical if HP1-3 sounded better and more/equally detailed than Home Alone?

I think it has to do how it was recorded in the first place. Home Alone was done superbly well. In fact, the very first OST (from Sony) sounded already great, I thought, but with every new expanded release it got better and better!

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, right, I have no idea what the original HA album sounded like. So HP will never be this good? Or will they save that kind of quality for an anniversary?

I think PoA sounds pretty awesome! CoS and PS aren't outstanding, but they aren't that bad either. I have no complaints, actually.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, right, I have no idea what the original HA album sounded like. 

You don't own this? I grew up with this. Even with two expanded releases that came out recently, I still love this album! Lots of memories.

0001819534.jpg

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, right, I have no idea what the original HA album sounded like. So HP will never be this good? Or will they save that kind of quality for an anniversary?

Apples and oranges. Home Alone was a mostly chamber score with smaller orchestra and much more emphasis on soloists. 

38 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Um, i suppose you mean coming by plane from a non-UE place, right? because i have traveled withing the EU several times and all the countries looked the same to me, back and forth in my trips. Because we opened frontiers in the UE... You go by car from Spain to Germay and do not see a border control staff...

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Um, i suppose you mean coming by plane from a non-UE place, right? because i have traveled withing the EU several times and all the countries looked the same to me, back and forth in my trips. Because we opened frontiers in the UE... You go by car from Spain to Germay and do not see a border control staff...

When you say UE, you talking about the EU? 

Internal border control doesn't exit anymore, yeah. For the past twenty years now. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing, but I'm categorically against the EU, so I guess I wish internal border control would be reinstated.

And nope. No package today. No tracking today. This waiting sucks!

Be prepared for similar posts for the rest of the week.

57 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Be prepared for similar posts for the rest of the week.

Same. Post has been and gone and still no sign of it! 

$25 dollars for shipping and they ship late at the worst possible time of the year. 

It's funny 'cause my package was labeled as "ready for delivery" this morning.
A few hours ago it was "out for delivery". It's 4pm now, and it's still stuck where it was this morning, only now it's "ready for delivery" again.

I imagine delivery guys picking my parcel up, watching it closely, saying: 

"heck yeah it's ready to be delivered: let's deliver it now! Wait, where's the address? A 15 min drive from here? Naaah, let's wait"

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Mine is 90 min away from me - for four days now. According to USPS it already passed through the custom facility four days ago - so where is it?

I know we are monitoring these packages like hawks but it seems that many HP box deliveries are oddly stuck on their way to their various destinations. Either that or the USPS is relaying really odd tracking information to a lot of people.

I found an update on finnissh postal tracking system: "your parcel is delayed". No shit Sherlock!! It has travelled almost a week from Helsinki to my city. + 100 miles😜🍺🍻

Edit: it seems to be now in my post office, I might get it in 10 minutes😱

The wierd thing is mine has been out for delivery since saturday, it said expected delivery by Saturday, 8:00 pm, then after that didn't happened it changed to Monday by 8:00 pm, and now it just says "Awaiting delivery scan" with no possible date. Just awful.

22 minutes ago, hornist said:

I found an update on finnissh postal tracking system: "your parcel is delayed". No shit Sherlock!! It has travelled almost a week from Helsinki to my city. + 100 miles😜🍺🍻

Edit: it seems to be now in my post office, I might get it in 10 minutes😱

Awesome news Pasi! Enjoy!:woop:

Thats some good tracking there, LalaLand.

Its been saying the same thing for 3 days: departed for my country.

Meanwhile in the physical world, the thing has finally arrived at my homestead!

42 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm just hoping @Incanus gets his copy before he goes away on Thursday. I'm actually biting my fingernails in anticipation for you, good friend. And it's very hard to perform any everyday task with your fingers crossed. :)

Karol

Thanks Karol! The 2017 Black Friday order was shipped on the 7th arrived on the 18th so there is slight chance this year's order could arrive soon-ish. Fingers crossed indeed!

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How do you define "this good"? All of the Williams Potter scores have always sounded perfectly fine. Whatever you dislike about them is probably more a matter of recording style than quality.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Got it..PoA disk 2 is severely scratched like it was dropped on the floor

This the worst I I ever seen

Your computer will probably rip it just fine

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Looks like mine has been in flight for 2 days now. Departed LA two days ago, no update since.

4 hours ago, redishere said:

It's funny 'cause my package was labeled as "ready for delivery" this morning.
A few hours ago it was "out for delivery". It's 4pm now, and it's still stuck where it was this morning, only now it's "ready for delivery" again.

I imagine delivery guys picking my parcel up, watching it closely, saying: 

"heck yeah it's ready to be delivered: let's deliver it now! Wait, where's the address? A 15 min drive from here? Naaah, let's wait"

Postal and package services are exceptionally busy at this time of year. I've had several recent packages listed as "out for delivery" that didn't arrive that day, though they were then delivered rather early on the next business day. They probably just can't finish all their tours in time on some days.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

The wierd thing is mine has been out for delivery since saturday, it said expected delivery by Saturday, 8:00 pm, then after that didn't happened it changed to Monday by 8:00 pm, and now it just says "Awaiting delivery scan" with no possible date. Just awful.

That actually sounds like it was out for delivery, but never officially delivered and not checked in back at the post office either. Could have been mis-delivered without a confirmation, or even returned to the post office without confirmation. I've had that happen to a Screen Archives order some years back - after waiting for it for several weeks, I inquired at the post office if they just might happen to have a package addressed to me - turns out it was just two days before they would have sent it back because it had been lying there for nearly four weeks. The postman just never delivered the yellow notification I was supposed to get (or he put it in somebody else's mailbox).

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

How do you define "this good"? All of the Williams Potter scores have always sounded perfectly fine. Whatever you dislike about them is probably more a matter of recording style than quality.

I never said I disliked the sound, I mean that Home Alone sounds much more detailed than HP and wondered why that was.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I never said I disliked the sound, I mean that Home Alone sounds much more detailed than HP and wondered why that was.

HPPS has a more distant, "classical" sound. Possibly it was miked that way. Simon Rhodes has done classical recordings for EMI, so I imagine he deliberately went for a more natural reverby concert hall sound than modern film music generally does.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Listen to a guitar solo recorded in the 60s and then listen to one from the 90s. They both sound great, because it's only one instrument. You can't compare that. The guitar from the 60s will also be more detailed and crisp than a guitar buried in an orchestra, even if it was recorded many years later.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Your computer will probably rip it just fine

doesn't matter.it looks like  it was dropped on the floor. I want a replacement disk .This is supposed to be a collector's item

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

here .it's pretty bad

azcaban disk 7.JPG

Hmm, just this one CD? 

Were the teeth broken and the CD was rattling around in the case? How can this happen otherwise? 

I'd ask for a replacement CD, if I were you. This sucks! No blame on LLL, but the post!

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Hmm, just this one CD? 

Were the teeth broken and the CD was rattling around in the case? How can this happen otherwise? 

I'd ask for a replacement CD, if I were you. This sucks! No blame on LLL, but the post!

it's not the post .No broken teeth and the c.d. was securely attached .I've never seen this before

I asked for a replacement.  But they just sent me a replacement JP disk for something much more minor than this  so now I'm worried I'll pass off as a chronic complainer .This is the first time I have issues twice in a row

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

it's not the post .No broken teeth and the c.d. was securely attached .I've never seen this before

Probably it arrived that way from the pressing plant? 

I remember having a scratched DVD once right out of the box! It was a TV show, forgot which one. The scratches were bad, but I brought the set back to the store and they replaced it right away, without any problems.