Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

The Flying Car as a stand alone track would have been cool, because now one of the second score's highlights is attached to one of the least interesting fragmented copy-paste cues. And you always have to listen to it if you want to listen to The Flying Car.

Did you stand up for the inclusion of the shawm source?

There's very little sound difference between the HP2 album and the HP2 LLL.  The same source element was used for both.  Only HP1 was rebuilt from scratch for the box set.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I also suggested the album track "Christmas At Hogwarts" appear on disc 3 due to the vocal performance of the ghosts being different.

That was a very good idea. I wonder why it wasn't done that way, I mean, they also included the album tracks of Qudditch, Third Year and A Window to the Past.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's very little sound difference between the HP2 album and the HP2 LLL.  The same source element was used for both.  Only HP1 was rebuilt from scratch for the box set.

Still, there is a little difference regarding clarity. The third score sounded so perfect on the OST already that there was no space for improvement.

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

they also included the album tracks of Qudditch, Third Year and A Window to the Past.

Quidditch, Third Year represents the original cue as Williams originally composed it; The version in the main program has the original opening replaced by the "Page 394" cue.

A Window To The Past acts as a concert arrangement; While it is technically an edit of 3 different pieces of music, only 2 of those pieces are in the main score, while the remaining (the solo recorder opening) is exclusive to that track.

On the flipside, HP1 Disc 3 is not like the alternate dump of most releases, including the other two scores in the collection - with the exception of HWW (had to be there), the two source cues and two actual alternates (one pretty different, one completely unrecognizeable so they get a pass), the 13 remaining tracks are all bits and bobs for promotional purposes, abandoned concepts and of course the Suite. Where exactly would a different but not that different take and a reedit of a track on Disc 1 fit into that?

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

While it is technically an edit of 3 different pieces of music, only 2 of those pieces are in the main score, while the remaining (the solo recorder opening) is exclusive to that track.

I heard this 3 pieces thing before, but isn't WTTP 4 bits? Exclusive opening, Credits version, Walk in the Woods, Lupin's Transformation Overlay? Seems that spreadsheet is not exactly in its finished state yet! ;) 

I hadn't actually listened properly to the intended Diagon Alley before as I was so preoccupied with recreating the film version.

It's actually way more interesting than the Children's Suite track included on the OST. For now I've decided to put it in my playlist in place of the tracked cue, as we have the Great Hall Entry music anyway.

The Flying Car works perfectly on this set (minus the rather clumsy transition), it doesn't work at all for me as a standalone track.

But as for sound difference, I have to disagree: for me there's a HUGE difference in sound between the HP2 OST and the LLL set. The LLL set sounds absolutely great.

I concur with @bollemanneke. While all 3 scores have received a sonic upgrade, 2 is a big step up on the muddy OST. 3 always sounded great and 1 has the biggest improvement (thanks to the modern tape scans) but 2 definitely sounds improved to my ears, despite both releases using the same source -- just goes to show the difference modern album mastering can make.

I do agree that the edit into The Flying Car is a bit clunky. I don't mind having it stitched together with The Train Station but the crossfade itself just sounds a little weird for some reason, like the volume needed to be tweaked for the opening bars of The Flying Car or something. It's a very minor quibble in a stunning set though!

Jay, I know someone else already asked but was Shawm was ever in the assembly for POA during the set's development?

42 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Do you think there's any chance they might include it if they ever got to, say, HP5? Because that score really can't fill two whole discs (same for HP6) and it might improve sales.

That's a great idea, hadn't occurred to me at all! And the precedent of moving Williams source music to a non-Williams sequel score was clearly set with Superman 2 & 3. It seems Williams and his management are less concerned about releasing the source music than they are about having it included alongside the score presentation itself.

I wonder if it's worth suggesting this idea to LLL, should they proceed with the other 5 scores (and Mike produces them)? 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

That's a great idea, hadn't occurred to me at all! And the precedent of moving Williams source music to a non-Williams sequel score was clearly set with Superman 2 & 3. It seems Williams and his management are less concerned about releasing the source music than they are about having it included alongside the score presentation itself.

I wonder if it's worth suggesting this idea to LLL, should they proceed with the other 5 scores (and Mike produces them)? 

Yeah, I don't really understand why JW dislikes source music on a set, but has no problem with it being on another set. I mean, it comes down to the same, doesn't it, us having it?

Also, don't forget that LLL might not be able to do HP6-8 at all as per licensing reasons. Mike already said HP5-6 wouldn't be able to be one box set for that reason.

And finally, to completely destroy my briljant idea, HP5 doesn't contain any score-related source music, while HP6 contains one piece that wasn't included in the sessions, so likely not composed by Hooper, so there might not be any source music on any commercial set. HP4 has a lot of Doyle source music, but I don't want them to drop any material from that score to make room for the shawm. If only that isolated score leaked.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Info from MV on the FSM message board on the repressing of Harry Potter (and Superman):

WEA moved to another plant and we can't even get in our repressings of Superman and Harry Potter because no one knows what happened to the cds they supposedly sent to us!

• 2 months later...

Okay, for a reason I can't even remember anymore I ended up on the MuggleCast and PotterCast websites, the two most well-known HP podcasts. I briefly looked at what they did at the end of 2018 and neither of them even mentioned this set! It's just mind-boggling!

Because there’s dozens of new merch releases every month, most fans would be content with the OSTs and find this set prohibitively expensive. 

it’s not like it was totally ignored by fan sites though

http://www.mugglenet.com/2019/01/review-giveaway-win-a-limited-edition-copy-of-harry-potter-the-john-williams-collection/

Ironic.

The entire magic in Harry Potter, with:

1. recruiting specially gifted children into an old-fashioned academy,

2. learning timeless techniques,

3. learning only "the magic" in said school instead of math and science for example (unless it concerns the very magic),

4. Getting more powerful basically till the end of life, with old folks being the best at everything

5. wowing at the unmatched masters of old, 

6. roughly-40-cm-simple-stick waving

7. formal attire

8. marvelous effects

is basically... classical music. Or even music in general.

And then: the producers managed to hire the greatest musical wizard of our time to put a spell on the audience.

Only for people to not care for it as much as they do for superficial minutia.

Virtually every person I've ever discussed Harry Potter with prefers the later films, and dislikes the cheery, magical first films and their music.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh man, "Family Portrait" from the Children's Suite.  It's so achingly perfect.

One of my favorites! Those opening chords do something to me. I’m not sure what to call it, but it’s something good.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Isn't it nuts he didn't think it was deserving to be on the OST? 

It is!

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Virtually every person I've ever discussed Harry Potter with prefers the later films, and dislikes the cheery, magical first films and their music.

To be honest, when I was a child/teen, I prefered the later books to the earlier ones, specially from 4 to 7. I have fond memories of reading Order of the Phoenix when I was 10. I was so entraced by the book and its dark tone that I was on a dilemma: I didn't want the book to end, because Lord knows how many years I would have to wait for the next one, but I also couldn't stop reading it.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh man, "Family Portrait" from the Children's Suite.  It's so achingly perfect.

Indeed and the combination of clarinet and celli is truly perfect orchestration for those nostalgic themes.