Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

I'm guessing Hedwig's Theme was written based purely off of the book, and then Trailer was written a little later with the intention that it come right after Hedwig's Theme. But it very well may not have been written to picture either.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a Project Consultant on this release.  It's my first real credit, and first paying gig in the field, actually.  If anyone was wondering why I stopped posting as frequently this spring, this is w

Admin note: To prevent all discussion from being combined into one massive thread, we have some specific threads that might be the discussion you are really looking for:   Harry Potter 7CD

This is so fantastic. Really glad we can finally stop worrying about when this will be released and can now move on to worrying about the release itself.     Here's my crack at "fixin

Oh yea, I would definitely assume it was written specifically for the upcoming teaser and so that it would sound good starting right where the already-recorded "Hedwig's Theme" ends, but I have no idea if he was given specific edited footage to write it to, or if it was written wild.

If the sketch of it leaked we might know more if he wrote descriptions of footage along the top, which he sometimes does on sketches but not always

Yeah, I made my own C&C edit of HP3 and have to admit it's a bit exhausting to listen to because of the small cues. I'm going to try and combine a few of them without changing the order to see what that sounds like. The OST is not representative for me though.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wouldn't call HP1's length a problem, though.

I mean, I never complain about having more music. I'm just saying that if you want to listen to the whole thing, you'd better have a few hours to spare.

Right. When I thought about problematic length, LOTR1-2 immediately came to mind. The amount of aimless ominious chords in those scores is staggering. But yes, HP1 does have a Hedwig's theme overload, which the OST doesn't really solve either because it removes some of the best variations ever (Harry Gets His Wand).

43 minutes ago, Holko said:

Better to wait a week for those 2.5 hours you can set aside than settle for a butchered version!

I mean, I can't remember the last time I listened to the OST. I nearly always go with a more complete presentation. But I do think it's a rather masterful OST, particularly with the way parts of the Children's Suite are used.

@bollemanneke I agree, which is why I don't listen to them very often. Same with watching the extended editions. It's just a chore.

Heh, I love that stuff, its so resonant, so soothing.

Of course I am not a complete idiot, so did make a condensed edit a while back that cut some of that stuff, but haven't listened to it in a while, because there were some things I was missing.

The HP1 OST works if the chldren's suite is your thing, but if not (as is the case for me), it pushes the album rather far into the 'inspired by' territory.

If you take out the concert pieces and material from the suite, we only get about 52-53 mins of score from a 2 1/2 hour film, which isn't very much. That, and the irritating microedits he did in several places to remove material that would easily have fit.

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The HP1 OST works if the chldren's suite is your thing, but if not (as is the case for me), it pushes the album rather far into the 'inspired by' territory.

I absolutely love the Children's Suite, but as its own separate complete thing, not jarringly chopped into parts of an entirely different kind of writing. Same with most concert pieces. And TV ad cues.

Here is a recreation of the Prisoner of Azkaban Japanese CD cover for anyone interested. Couldn't find a high res version of this online and find it much better than the standard faces cover. Only difference is I changed the 'Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture'.

1332485358_HarryPotterandthePrisonerofAzkaban.png

I've also created custom covers for other Harry Potter soundtracks 

Harry Potter Custom Covers