Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER'S STONE - OFFICIAL alternate covers courtesy Jim Titus

Jay

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which they titled Fluch der Karibik ("curse of the caribbean") in German - so of course they had to stick with that title for the entire series.

I wish they had... because actually all the sequels were called "Pirates of the Caribbean" + subtitle, even in Germany. Whereas "Fluch der Karibik" would have worked for every movie, since they all were about curses. But obviously they thought an English title would sound "cooler". They could have easily called the first movie "Piraten der Karibik" though, which would have been perfectly fine.

2 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

I wish they had... because actually all the sequels were called "Pirates of the Caribbean" + subtitle, even in Germany. Whereas "Fluch der Karibik" would have worked for every movie, since they all were about curses. But obviously they thought an English title would sound "cooler". They could have easily called the first movie "Piraten der Karibik" though, which would have been perfectly fine.

Looks like they were a bit inconsistent:

Germany (pre-release title)    Fluch der Karibik - Die Truhe des Todes
Germany    Fluch der Karibik 2

Germany    Pirates of the Caribbean - Fluch der Karibik 2

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Looks like they were a bit inconsistent:

Germany (pre-release title)    Fluch der Karibik - Die Truhe des Todes
Germany    Fluch der Karibik 2

Germany    Pirates of the Caribbean - Fluch der Karibik 2

Yes, that series' german titles are even more baffling than usual - Not an ounce of consistency.

1: Fluch der Karibik

2: Pirates of the Caribbean: Fluch der Karibik 2

3: Pirates of the Caribbean: Am Ende der Welt  [that one's at least faithful to the original... only took them 3 movies] 

/e: I believe it got worse again with the following ones, haven't watched those

On 11/27/2018 at 1:23 PM, Holko said:

A lot of names were changed creatively here, too, but we left most of the "normal" English names alone, instead changing the more imaginative and descriptive wizard names like Fudge or Sprout that would have meant absolutely nothing to Hungarian kids. Snape is also Piton here. Dumbledore is Dumbledore, Tom Riddle however was changed to fit an anagram - Tom Denem is basically "Tom but not [really]", which is the only cringy eample I can think of. Also a ton of spells were changed, but still retained the latin flavour. Muffliato is Disaudio, for example. Hogwarts is Roxfort, combining Oxford with Roquefort for some reason.

We call the object "wise man's stone", so that's what the title ended up being.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:26 PM, redishere said:

That's really interesting! 
Yeah Tom Riddle's full name had a bunch of weird translations to make the anagram work.
The italian version is Tom Orvoloson Riddle, which becomes "Son io Lord Voldemort", literally «am Lord Voldemort»

Didn't know Hungary and Ireland had their own name for the Stone!

On 11/27/2018 at 1:39 PM, Holko said:

Our anagram is a bit cheaty, Nevem Voldemort (My name is Voldemort) becomes Tom Rowle Denem - they combined the two Vs into a W! The Hallows also ended up as Relics of Death here.

Tom Marvolo Riddle became Marten Asmodom Vilijn in the Dutch translation. It's an anagram of "Mijn naam is Voldemort", which translates back to "My name is Voldemort". 

14 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Tom Marvolo Riddle became Marten Asmodom Vilijn in the Dutch translation. It's an anagram of "Mijn naam is Voldemort", which translates back to "My name is Voldemort". 

AAAGH!!! Dutch Harry Potter name translations!

Take it away, take it away!!!

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

In french, his name is Tom Elvis Jedusor, for “Je suis Volemort”.

Elvis...

:sarcasm:

Uh thank you very much

6 hours ago, MidnightSparks said:

I can only imagine if instead of Sorcerer's Stone the US publisher had gotten away with his original intended title for the US - Harry Potter and the School of Magic.

Truth be told, I think I would've respected that more.

At least that title doesn't change the name of something that has actually been a real myth for at least a thousand years.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, Richard said:

Oh, pardon. Az you can 'ear, my Engliz iz not good, too.

We zink, ziz means somezing. We zink eet iz important.

Zey belong 'ere mozambique

(There's an obscure Close Encounters making of reference for ya!)

On 11/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, Bilbo said:

JK Rowling never wrote a book called Sorcerer’s Stone!

John Williams never wrote a score called Philosopher's Stone. 

And even if he did he absolutely never wrote a score for anything called a New Hope.

It is interesting to view the prejudice of Brits and Europeans towards Americans because we don't know what a Philosopher's Stone is, however; it has been stated that those reading the books in GB were no more likely than the Average American was to know. However the truth is the title was really changed for Marketing reasons. The reason is Sorcerer's is more exciting and dangerous  sounding than Philosopher which is considered dull and boring. Other words changed in the book because they have different meanings. 

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

but it was the american publisher who judged americans level of knowledge... wast it?

It was not about Amercan knowledge it was about American Marketing. 

However its seems very convenient to keep thinking about us as Stupid Americans. But remember John Williams is one too.

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Americans seem to be generally ignorant about a lot if things.

why the hatred. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:27 PM, JoeinAR said:

It is interesting to view the prejudice of Brits and Europeans towards Americans because we don't know what a Philosopher's Stone is, however; it has been stated that those reading the books in GB were no more likely than the Average American was to know.

I don't know about Brits, but the German name of the Philosopher's Stone ("der Stein der Weisen") has been familiar to me since childhood. "Hexerstein" on the other hand would mean absolutely nothing to me, and sound corny, too.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:27 PM, JoeinAR said:

However the truth is the title was really changed for Marketing reasons. The reason is Sorcerer's is more exciting and dangerous  sounding than Philosopher which is considered dull and boring. Other words changed in the book because they have different meanings. 

Hence also the addition of "A New Hope". To make it more exciting and less dull. ;)

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't know about Brits, but the German name of the Philosopher's Stone ("der Stein der Weisen") has been familiar to me since childhood. "Hexerstein" on the other hand would mean absolutely nothing to me, and sound corny, too.

Hence also the addition of "A New Hope". To make it more exciting and less dull. ;)

Nice try but false. Its called rewriting history to fit the situation. 

On 12/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, JoeinAR said:

John Williams never wrote a score called Philosopher's Stone. 

This is actually a funny point. Now I wonder which version of those scenes he got.

He definitely never read a book called Philosopher's Stone so "Hedwig's Theme" is all-American.

ElatedNaturalAfricancivet-small.gif

Just now, Stefancos said:

We are more intelligent and developed then Americans!

+than 

English, mother lover, do you speak it? 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:55 PM, mrbellamy said:

ElatedNaturalAfricancivet-small.gif

The true Deathly Hallows. 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, Stefancos said:

I don't even care!

Let them try and write Dutch and do as well as us! 

When JWFan votes to use third-world languages instead of English, I will make an effort to learn how to write half as well as you.

Until then, keep up.